Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Debit card question -- is there an upper limit, and does the shop pay a handling fee?

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2006, 06:58 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Debit card question -- is there an upper limit, and does the shop pay a handling fee?

I'm going to buy a car tomorrow from a dealer. They say they will NOT take a credit card because of the 3% transaction fee.

Too late to call them now, but,

a) Is there an upper spending limit on a debit card, providing you've got sufficient funds in the account? The car will be around £5K.

b) Does the shop / dealer get charged a transaction fee for handling a debit card transaction?

thanks for any advice,

Craig
Old 31 March 2006, 06:59 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

As long as there is ££ in your account you should be OK.

Switch transactions are usually charged different to credit cards & are usually a set fee rather than a percentage so you should be OK there too.

HTH,

Gareth
Old 31 March 2006, 07:11 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

There nay be an upper limit, you can switch as much as you like and there is no handling fee.

ewan
Old 31 March 2006, 07:37 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

No limit or charge but be aware your bank might well question such a large transaction. I bought my VW Golf on my debit card recently and the dealership recommended I phoned my bank in advance and told them of what was happening, I did so and the bank were fine about it and thanked me for letting them know.
Old 31 March 2006, 08:00 PM
jpor
Scooby Regular

No limit as far as I am aware. Bought my Clio run-a-bout for £2k recently. But when I was on my way home and stopped at the petrol station to use it again. The bank started to question it. And I spent 20 minutes in the petrol station answering the banks questions over the phone.
Old 31 March 2006, 08:49 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

We paid £7500 for our Forester at a Subaru dealer on Switch, no problem at all.
Old 31 March 2006, 09:07 PM
Aquanaut
Scooby Regular

I bought my scoob on my debit card recently. The funds were in my account but the transaction didn't go through as it was flagged up my my banks security. But thats a good thing. Dealership had to phone the card company who asked me some security questions and the transaction went through.

It did worry me that I wasn't going to get my car that day so I would recommend ringing the bank and advising them of your intensions so the funds go through without hassle.

Last edited by Aquanaut; 31 March 2006 at 09:18 PM. Reason: can't spell
Old 31 March 2006, 09:14 PM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Put £36K to a dealer with just the details and the security code No one spoke to me except the dealer.
Old 31 March 2006, 10:32 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

I bought my MY01 (four and a half years ago) on a debit card.

Kinda cool walking into a dealer, slapping down a small piece of plastic, and walking out with 24K worth of car

I did have to confirm a couple of security details on the phone (to the bank), but that was my fault for not pre-warning them first.

...shame about the Credit Cards though - would have been quite a few cashback points

mb
Old 31 March 2006, 10:38 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi John

Like you I have bought my last three cars by simply putting my switch card on the counter

I just wonder what you have bought for £36K

It's been a long time (err 4 years) since you pointed me towards the TD05 LOL

Cheers

Shaun
Old 31 March 2006, 11:48 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

I brought a van recently and had the transaction check by the card handeling people, nothing to worry about, answered a couple of questions and off I drove. There's no need to ring in advance.
Old 31 March 2006, 11:55 PM
RLE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ewanrw
There nay be an upper limit, you can switch as much as you like and there is no handling fee.

ewan
Depends who they process their transactions through but my company have to pay between 1.35% and 1.8% on credit/ debit card transactions. Thats turning over 1.5m a month on credit card with Barclays.
Old 01 April 2006, 12:03 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

I had a credit card ( a my main bank accounts own credit card) refuse a withdrawl of £200 quid last week, I got nothing but foreigners calling me up over the next few days then,saying they were checking security details.
They phoned me at work, at home, on the mobile, left a message and wrote me a letter.
As it happens I didn't need the £200 quid in the end so let the bank stew on the security issue.
Mind you it's a good job I didn't need it in a hurry...
I think sometimes they can be a little over cautious!
Old 01 April 2006, 01:02 AM
EddScott
Scooby Regular

Received 64 Likes on 32 Posts

Maybe they thought you meant a credit card? Think theres a charge on Credit Cards.

The first service I had on my Impreza was at the most local dealers - all of 3 hours away no less. Spent all day there, got a bill for £250+ and the card was refused

Took ages to get sorted. Not good so far from home and not being allowed your keys until you pay up.

Also got a trolly full of shopping at Tesco and my debit card was rejected. Apparently, sometimes this happens sometimes - very embarrasing.
Old 01 April 2006, 10:02 AM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by EddScott
Also got a trolly full of shopping at Tesco and my debit card was rejected. Apparently, sometimes this happens sometimes - very embarrasing.
I once bought £50 worth of fuel and the card company wanted to check security, woman at the till just cancelled the transaction, put it through again and it worked fine, think they do random checks sometimes
Old 01 April 2006, 04:21 PM
brickboy
Scooby Regular

Thanks all, sorted

Debit card was fine, pity can't collect the car until Monday 'cos it needs taxing