Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Kind of lost my job!

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2006, 05:30 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Kind of lost my job!

I started in a CAD office on 7th March as a Drawing Controller, as i had no previous office experience they gave me a 2 week trial in a trainee role. Ive now been there 4 weeks and ive being using OCE to index/scan and submit drawings for copying, burning and copying cds and sending them out. last week I was told that once all applications for the job had come in I could apply for a full time position. According to the other two Drawing Controllers the job was pretty much mine. The guy that had the job before me was a lecturer and he left to go back to that job. This afternoon i was told by the CAD Manager he would be coming back and that the job was no longer vacant, he wants me to stay however and dispatch packages. I now dont have a pc or a desk and he said they would move me round the office as and when one becomes available.

Im a little annoyed to be honest, i know i was innitially on a 2 week trial, but after 4 weeks of doing what ive been doing and to be told that a guy that left is coming back and is getting what potentially was my job, and im left as a glorified mail boy I think is pretty crappy.

I originally applied for a Tr. CAD job here which i never got, he said he felt it may have been to dificult for me due to my gcse grades. He asked how id coped with this role, so i honestly told him it was easy and not alot to it!

Im thinking now just to stick it out abit longer and find something else, and maybe do a course.
Old 31 March 2006, 05:35 PM
J4CKO
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bad luck mate, keep plugging away, just learn as much as you can, I have learnt that it mightnot seem valuable at the time but later on through small incrmental efforts, you get what you are after.

I got a job offer this afternoon, I have accepted, just have to broatch this with my current employer after 7 years, feeling a little trepidation at the moment !
Old 31 March 2006, 05:39 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

That's terrible, what a way to treat someone.
Stick it out there for a while, at least you'll get a good reference, if required, when you find a better job
Old 31 March 2006, 06:28 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

Bad luck, marc But don't give up..stick with whatever they offer you..it all looks good on a CV and gives you more experience. And another very important lesson to learn...*never* believe employers are going to do you a favour. They need a gap filling? Anyone will do so don't get mad, just use the experience for your own benefit and move on when a better opportunity comes up

Good luck to you

didn't mean the *anyone will do* to sound so harsh ..sorry
Old 31 March 2006, 06:36 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that dude, but stick it out and good things may happen. IMO you've obviously impressed hence the reason they are trying to find you another position.

You've only been there a short time and if they didn't want you, they'd send you packing.

Or am I being too optimistic and trusting ?

ewan
Old 31 March 2006, 06:43 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

mark are you a welder???

Mart
Old 31 March 2006, 07:00 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

At least you are in a job. Its always easier to find another job whilst youre in employment, and obviously you get paid as well!

Just apply for jobs you want, and sooner or later you'll get something decent.
Old 31 March 2006, 10:51 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

****e.man!
How these companies treat people is disgusting!You had hard time in your last job as well,didn't you?
Now put it down to experience and look for something far more stable- positions that are permanent with at least 6 months probationary period.If you think you need to be more qualified,go for it.make sure you take a membership of some union independently,if there is none with work.
Hope it all gets sorted for you.
Keep going out and keep having fun,though!
Old 31 March 2006, 11:01 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Look on the positive side - They gave you a bite of the cherry with no previous experience. 4 weeks in you have impressed them enough that they want to keep you but don't have a job for you. They can keep you occupied being mail boy until a suitable role comes up. If they didn't want you and thought you had no future they would have said "He is coming back - p1ss off"

This is exactly how my first job after university went - Started on 18k - 6 weeks in I was down to dogsbody on £4.50 an hour. 18 months later I had a fully expensed 5 series and a company credit card with no limit and a salary I hoped to get after 10 years. - Stick with it. Be the best mail boy they have ever seen

Once I got the plush job I interviewed a glass blower for an IT support job. He wasn't experienced enough for the job in question, but he was mad keen, so I gave him a job as a tester on about 1/4 of the salary. Worlds best tester, ever - three months later he got the support job. Another 6 months he was running the support team, then after a year he got my old job (with the credit card, but not as much money.... I'm not that daft)
Old 31 March 2006, 11:06 PM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

Bet you smiled loads at the bosses,FB!
Old 31 March 2006, 11:23 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Arrgghh What a ****ter, things were looking up for you as well, dont be tempted to go back to god forsaken welding though.
I'd stick with it and see where it leads, 4 weeks isn't really enough time to settle in and see exactly how they do treat their employees, on the outside it does look like they screwed you over, but you do have the advantage of having your foot in the door now.

I remember broaching the subject of "I might be leaving" (to break the ice) after 8 years in... left it for a few weeks and then one day popped into the office and just said, it was confirmed I had the new job and I was off, no mincing about..
Boss went white a sheet and stuttered for words... "Well there's not much I can say to make you stay is there?"
"Nope" I said" and that was it, a week later I was out of there
Old 31 March 2006, 11:35 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Turbohot
Bet you smiled loads at the bosses,FB!
Nah - you don't have to smile when you are making them enough money
Old 31 March 2006, 11:49 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, ill have to see what im doing, and where im working on monday! As you all say its experience and looks good on the cv. I just dont think "dispatching packages" is enough though!

I applied to Norwich Union back in febuary and my mate who works there said theyve only just processed my application. Its a shame they dont have my updated cv though! Hes going to try and forward it to them, but as its at a differant branch he might not be able to!

Mart, I used to be a welder.
Old 01 April 2006, 09:20 AM
CG8 Nick
Scooby Newbie

Chap

They seem to be trying to keep you they are finding excuses to employ you

I say stick with them for a while

After a particularly bad experience work wise - my fault i found myself in the dole office and took a day helping on a van

Never left the company they kept finding temp wotk for a few weeks then permanant.

To cut it short i now own the company.
Old 01 April 2006, 09:43 AM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CG8 Nick
To cut it short i now own the company.
Awesome, me likey and fully agree about sticking it out

ewan
Old 01 April 2006, 12:02 PM
Apparition
Scooby Regular

Anything in writing to outline the agreement ?
If so, go to CAB and see what they can tell you. Sounds a bit unfair to be honest.
Yve
Old 01 April 2006, 12:26 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

No, nothing in writing, as it was meant to be 2 weeks to see if i was interested.
Old 11 April 2006, 09:24 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I think you guys are right! They obviously think the sun shines out of my backside lol! I'm now being shared between the Design and Estimating departments, but the Design manager stressed that i'm still working for Design primarily!

It's ok for now, I still feel like a glorified postman though!