AHHHH I have to get out of my job

Search this Thread

Old 28 March 2006, 08:49 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default AHHHH I have to get out of my job

Hi All,

I moved jobs about 4 months ago from an IT techie role into an IT sales role -allegedly "Account Managers" role but its just telesales...........

I have to get out, I hate it! I hate the cold calling and its seriously a struggle to come in , in the morning.............I have a few potential - back to techie type roles and am trying to pick up some contracting work however Im so tempted to walk out on Monday morning(once Ive been paid!) financially this is a bad idea but I really cant stand the place now!

thoughts?

btw if anyone knows any good phone Qs I can use to up my call times to avoid cold calling then that would be great

Andy
Old 28 March 2006, 08:51 AM
Wish
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Walk mate !
Summers on its way
Old 28 March 2006, 12:43 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Wish
Walk mate !
Summers on its way
couldn't agree more
Old 28 March 2006, 12:45 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ADP
Hi All,

I moved jobs about 4 months ago from an IT techie role into an IT sales role -allegedly "Account Managers" role but its just telesales...........

I have to get out, I hate it! I hate the cold calling and its seriously a struggle to come in , in the morning.............I have a few potential - back to techie type roles and am trying to pick up some contracting work however Im so tempted to walk out on Monday morning(once Ive been paid!) financially this is a bad idea but I really cant stand the place now!

thoughts?

btw if anyone knows any good phone Qs I can use to up my call times to avoid cold calling then that would be great

Andy
If you can wait find something else then walk, it's the best way to do it + you have the satisfaction of telling them you have a better offer at a better company.

Just walking out never looks good on a cv no matter how you dress it up.
Old 28 March 2006, 12:47 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

i agree, my heart says walk out when Ive finished lunch, my head says stick it out, blag it for a few more weeks until I get something else.......
Old 28 March 2006, 12:47 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

I agree with paul, plus if you don't get something right away, you won't get any benefits from the dole office.

"dole office" - can you tell i've never made a claim
Old 28 March 2006, 02:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

This probably isnt helpful; but people commonly associate working in a sales job with being a gob****e and feel that anyone can do it. It may be true that plenty of people are able to 'get by' (many of these people may think that theyre skilful and they may well be gob****es too...), but its a very hard-learned skill at which few really succeed.

Simon
Old 28 March 2006, 03:13 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
This probably isnt helpful; but people commonly associate working in a sales job with being a gob****e and feel that anyone can do it...
Simon
Completely agree with you. I was in car sales as it was the only job (good money) I could find after Uni. Finished selling cars on the 3rd Feb to focus on finding something else (60 hrs/week was killing me) and start in a senior sales role for a mobile phone company next week.

Selling is hard, especially telesales but not all of us are *****, although there are a lot ( I know who I wouldn't buy a car from in Edinburgh).

But if you enjoy sales, try and go down another sales route, get out on the floor and meet people. It can be very rewarding and not just financially.
Old 28 March 2006, 04:54 PM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ADP
Hi All,

thoughts?

Andy
Thoughts? What have you enjoyed about your roles so far? Did you take the sales role because it gave you more customer contact? Is that what you want in a role - IT and people? Or is the people in general that are p1$$ing you off?

Why not hand your notice in on Monday and work your 1 month? That way you can coast, get paid and still look for another job?
Old 28 March 2006, 05:41 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

nice idea but they wouldnt keep me on for a month, I know this for a fact - it would be hand over your accounts to whoever and off you go - they wont pay for me to be there for another month looking for a job! Thats what makes it harder............not the people pissing me off ,just the cold calling - I just dont like it, want to do it any more etc.......its very demoralising - I cant see any career in it and I just want out!
Old 28 March 2006, 05:51 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Drunken Bungle *****
Why not hand your notice in on Monday and work your 1 month? That way you can coast, get paid and still look for another job?
Sounds sensible. Seriously dont walk out - thats just about the worst thing you can do (other than going on a shooting spree before walking out, which is how they'd 'walk out' state-side!)

Get your CV off to all the agents, and you should easily have something sorted for when you leave at the end of the month.
Old 28 March 2006, 05:53 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ADP
nice idea but they wouldnt keep me on for a month, I know this for a fact - it would be hand over your accounts to whoever and off you go - they wont pay for me to be there for another month looking for a job! Thats what makes it harder............not the people pissing me off ,just the cold calling - I just dont like it, want to do it any more etc.......its very demoralising - I cant see any career in it and I just want out!
IMO knowing that you are definitely going is almost as important as going (light at the end of tunnel). tell yourself that you are definitely going say, at the end of the month then really focus on finding something else over those few weeks.

DO NOT walk, you will need a reference from these people at some point (telling a new employer not to contact your old place does not sound good) and it is a VERY small world.... dont 'fall out' with them unless you have to

good luck
Old 28 March 2006, 05:55 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

btw I got told months ago that i had a good chance of being made redundant at the end of this month.....

I've spent the last few months being as happy as larry
Old 29 March 2006, 08:05 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ADP
Check your contract then - because if you're required to give one month's notice and you do, and they ask you to leave immediately, they still have to pay you for the month.

Whereabouts are you based? I know a company in Basingstoke that may be on the lookout for IT people. Frankly I know buggerall about IT - but if you're at all interested then PM me and I can investigate for you.
Old 29 March 2006, 08:30 AM
Red-ducati
Scooby Regular

I did that job years ago, what a bunch ofcorporate ******* i worked for. Try calling Manchester Airport it has a voice recording of all the flight times & teminals for the whole week. You can stay on for ages.
Old 29 March 2006, 08:33 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

I never signed a contract! So I can leave when I want - I never burn bridges - I will just explain how I feel and tell them Im off - they probably will be slightly surprised as Im not doing badly at it!
Old 29 March 2006, 08:35 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

pm sent
Old 29 March 2006, 08:36 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

nice tip on manchester airport

Any other automated phone system lines like that would be usefull
Old 29 March 2006, 08:46 AM
Red-ducati
Scooby Regular

Say you are going to work for a competitor, That way they should give you Garden leave
Old 29 March 2006, 08:49 AM
Red-ducati
Scooby Regular

Call Sky 08702 40 40 40 takes ages to get to speak top someone, and when you do they are in India (Pidgeon English) So pretend you have stutter or something. This will buy you loads of time
Old 29 March 2006, 08:54 AM
ADP
Scooby Regular

lol no they would just give me the boot! Ill do the right thing by them ie say Im not enjoying it and am going back to do what I do best.........Payday is Friday, Im waiting till its in the bank and then I can leave - I know it doesnt look good but if Im looking for contracting work then it doesnt matter so much - contractors always have gaps Im sure
Old 29 March 2006, 11:41 AM
Drunken Bungle Whore
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ADP
pm sent
PM sent back!

Old 29 March 2006, 02:04 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

email sent