Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Orange + personal Data

Search this Thread

Old 21 March 2006, 04:13 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Orange + personal Data

Ok guys...Im really annoyed.. The last few months ive been having loads of with-held numbers ringing me claiming to be from orange trying to sell me phones or 10% off or something or another.. Had a very rude, insulting, aggressive saleman ring me earlier so i rang orange direct to report him and find out how the hell these little sh*ts obtained my data.. The lady told me that orange never ring their customers, she then went on to say that there is no way they are able to get my information which is obviously bull overwise i wouldnt be receiving these sodding phonecalls.. They seem to know everything about me, my age, DOB,address, even my sodding password so im now thinking that orange are somehow breaking the data protection act and somebody is selling my personal info to these lying francise companies... Does anybody on here know how the orange databases work or can help me as i think orange are gonna have a big wakeup call from me if they arent carefull.. The woman did state that they arnt linked via databse to these companies either so how the hell they got my info is a mystery..
Old 21 March 2006, 04:16 PM
Jamescsti
Scooby Regular

I have the same problem, and mine is a company phone for gods sake, so why they bother i don't know.

I ahd the same problem when I was on O2 though
Old 21 March 2006, 04:27 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

Had a few of these recently, - ex orange customer. All seem to at time of standard 1 year contact period. Orange must be selling details.
Put your mobile no on the telephone preferance scheme - helps a bit
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/tps/
Is good fun telling the person on the line that their data must be innacurate as no longer an orange customer
Richard
Old 21 March 2006, 04:34 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Angry

We had the same with T-Mobile. Bunch of w@nkers the lot of them...
Old 21 March 2006, 04:34 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

email this lot and tell them what has happened

executive.office@orange.co.uk

Have a look at

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...ghlight=orange

Last edited by The Zohan; 21 March 2006 at 04:38 PM.
Old 21 March 2006, 09:33 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Excellent Paul, thanks for that mate..Gonna have a good read through that and they are getting a email too dont worry..Glad to see im not the only one then..
Old 21 March 2006, 09:40 PM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

I wonder if that's who's been phoning me on a withheld number? I very rarely answer the phone to those and I have never been left a message either so what I might do next time the phone rings with a withheld number is answer it and put the phone down and walk away.

Trending Topics

Old 21 March 2006, 09:54 PM
brumdaisy
Scooby Regular

Boring bit about Data Protection Act.....

Before 2001, when the Act was changed, organisations that collect your data were only legally obliged to give you the option to 'opt out' ie 'no thank you mr salesman I do not want you to send me marketing information on your products or those offered by carefully selected companies'.

Since 2001, organisations can only (legally) give you the opportunity to 'opt in'. So, if for example you forget to tick the right boxes, they wont have your permission to send you crap mail. You have to actively give your permission.

Sounds great except the vast vast VAST majority of organisations have not acknowledged this change.

Virtually all commercial companies sell their customer data (I like to think they only sell the data of customers who have given their permission but...) The fact is that most staff wont know if their employer sells data or not so unless ur having dinner with the marketing director assume they are talking b*llocks!

What can u do?

U could contact the company and request a copy of the data they hold on you - and then ask them to remove it - ideal if you change networks. This will **** them off but they are legally obliged to or you could just ask them not to send you marketing info. Again they are legally obliged to fulfill this but like its going to work!

Realistically, just make sure in the future that you are given the opportunity to opt out or decline to opt in. Often you dont get asked and thats just naughty
Old 21 March 2006, 09:56 PM
john_s
Scooby Regular

I get loads of them too. I think a lot of these calls are originated as random dialling to just to sell you a new contract for the bonus they get for connecting you.

They can guess which network you're (likely to be) on from the prefix to your mobile number as they are (or were, and I presume they still are) alloacated to networks in blocks. eg my mobile starts 07976; all the 0976 (as was) numbers were allocated to Orange.

I guess they also estimate likely contract renewal dates from when the phone companies start using new blocks of prefixes.

Mungo summed them up pretty much correctly above IMO.

I've always fancied trying turning the tables on something like this with one of the company phones... give the "orange" caller some personal details, but "forget" to mention that the phone's a company phone with completely different details and security information.

John.
Old 21 March 2006, 10:33 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Yup I've had 3 calls from "Storm, calling on behalf of Orange" in the last week, all withheld numbers. I've hung up each time but I'm pretty sure they called me at 1am the other night too, hardly anyone else has my number and i'd hung up on them when they called a few hours earlier.

Think i'll give Orange a call tomorrow.
Old 22 March 2006, 07:37 AM
SD
Scooby Regular

Yup, I'm getting loads of these at the moment too despite being TPS registereed and only telling a few select people my number. Last one was yesterday. Orange will be getting a call from me tonight.

Simon
Old 22 March 2006, 07:58 AM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Blow a whistle down their ear'oles
Old 22 March 2006, 08:56 AM
Scoobychick
Scooby Regular

I'm getting these witheld calls too on a daily basis despite my mobile number being registered with the TPS. Only on one occasion has there been a person on the other end, generally it's just silent which really annoys me. At least if it's a person you can tell them to bugger off
Old 22 March 2006, 09:26 AM
Foot_Tapper
Scooby Regular

I had calls when my orange contract was coming to an end.
These people seem to be able to get hold of the lists somehow.

Feckin annoying tho
Old 22 March 2006, 10:02 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Orange are an absolute bunch of lying fraudsters, my daughter suddenly started to get data text messages and then mail at home, the only place the information could have come from was orange, phoned then they denied it, wrote to them, got a standard letter, wrote to the mobile communication watch dog …. Still waiting.

Also on a service level they have slumped dramatically, signed the wife’s phone up for the free text top up and on a monthly basis I have to chase them (even though its supposed to be added to the account on a specific date) to add them to her account, which they tend to do once they have hoovered her account credit.
I’m currently battling to have the credit reinstated.
They claim we topped up on the wrong date (Before the 2nd of the month) I have the slip from 8.30 am on the 1st !
They claim the text message they sent out said top up before the 1st …. Still have it, in fact it says the 4th !!!!

Lying cheating robbers.
Old 24 March 2006, 03:51 AM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

seems like alot of people are having difficulties with orange.. Ive really got a feeling they are lying their **** off to me..I havent however received any more calls but im pretty sure i will eventually..

tmo
Im considering setting the free texts top ups on my PAYG phone too as it looks inviting.. Not to sure now though...
Old 24 March 2006, 07:56 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I called Orange yesterday about this after another call from someone claiming to be from Orange. When I finally was able to speak to a manager, I was told that Orange do indeed pass on details of their customers for marketing purposes, basically your name, number and where in the country you took out your contract. They don't disclose when your contract is up for renewal, but it's clearly not hard for these marketing companies to guess.

I was very angry, I asked how the hell they can do this to their customers when they've opted out of wanting to receive any spam or marketing. I even told them that I was registered with TPS but I was told what they do is normal and perferctly legal, and doesn't break the data protection act (dunno about that).

They weren't concerned at all that these companies were using sneaky tactics and fraudulantly claiming to be from Orange. They also told me there's nothing I can do to stop it, and that they also can't block witheld numbers from calling my phone (like BT can).

Pretty ******* angry to be honest. My contract is up in June but I'm tempted to bin it before then and get a new number from another network.

I don't have any small print to check as I bought my phone direct from Orange on-line and didn't print out the contract T&C. I do always check the tick-box to opt out of marketing/spam, but it doesn't seemed to have worked this time.
Old 24 March 2006, 08:38 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iwan
I called Orange yesterday about this after another call from someone claiming to be from Orange. When I finally was able to speak to a manager, I was told that Orange do indeed pass on details of their customers for marketing purposes, basically your name, number and where in the country you took out your contract. They don't disclose when your contract is up for renewal, but it's clearly not hard for these marketing companies to guess.

I was very angry, I asked how the hell they can do this to their customers when they've opted out of wanting to receive any spam or marketing. I even told them that I was registered with TPS but I was told what they do is normal and perferctly legal, and doesn't break the data protection act (dunno about that).

They weren't concerned at all that these companies were using sneaky tactics and fraudulantly claiming to be from Orange. They also told me there's nothing I can do to stop it, and that they also can't block witheld numbers from calling my phone (like BT can).

Pretty ******* angry to be honest. My contract is up in June but I'm tempted to bin it before then and get a new number from another network.

I don't have any small print to check as I bought my phone direct from Orange on-line and didn't print out the contract T&C. I do always check the tick-box to opt out of marketing/spam, but it doesn't seemed to have worked this time.
Another new number

Iwan, just register it with tps.
Old 24 March 2006, 08:49 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MattW
Another new number

Iwan, just register it with tps.
I think he already has: "I even told them that I was registered with TPS but I was told what they do is normal and perferctly legal"
Old 24 March 2006, 08:58 AM
ricardo_wrx
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I stopped my contract with Orange over two years ago, but still get companies trying to sell me stuff on behalf of Orange.

The classic line i use on them gets them every time. They always start the conversation with, "Hello, I gather you have an orange phone" (or something like that......... I always reply with , "Orange.... no my phone is silver, who would like an orange phone?" They then try to explain to you its not the coolour of the phone but the network. Just play stupid with them and they soon get bored.

Try it!
Old 24 March 2006, 09:26 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Yup, already registered with TPS for all the good it does. These companies just ring you from a withheld number and say they are Orange.
Old 24 March 2006, 09:56 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Just sent a nice email to the Orange Executive Office.
Old 24 March 2006, 06:51 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Iwan
Now this has got me very angry indeed.. Basically the bitch down the other end of the phone from orange was lying to me.. Now you are absolutely positive they said that they sell our info on are you? cos if thats the case then they are getting a very nasty letter from me.. This is disgusting mate...Surely its not legal.. grrrr!!!
Old 24 March 2006, 07:24 PM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rik1471
I think he already has: "I even told them that I was registered with TPS but I was told what they do is normal and perferctly legal"
If you have given a company your details they are allowed to call you unless you write to their Data Controller and ask to be removed from the Database.

TPS stops you from being cold-called by companies you haven't given your deatils e.g. a Double Glazing company going thru' the phone book.

Passing on Personal Data is a serious offence without your permission, so I'd doubt they are breaking the law, more like exploiting a loop hole.

Old 24 March 2006, 08:09 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

I had one the other day, he swore blind he was working for Orange, yet wanted to know when my contract ended. Even after pointing out that if he did, he'd know that, he still wouldn't give up.

Register your phone on the TPS system, then their braking the law if they call

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
Old 24 March 2006, 09:32 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

The woman I spoke to didn't say they sell the info, she said they give it out to marketing companies. She also said they don't disclose when your contract ends, which squares up with what people are saying about these callers from "Orange" not knowing when the contract ends.

I'm positive there's a 2 way interaction going on because she also told me that if you agree to upgrade with them, they put a marker on your file at Orange so Orange know to contact you at the right time.

Wish I'd recorded the conversation now, or at least got her name. Anyway I emailed the Orange executive office this morning with a letter questioning all this and expressing my anger. No reply as yet.

I also switched my tariff to the cheapest one they offer, so I pay them as little as possible until the contract expires. Then I'm off to one of the other nets, most likely Vodafone or T-Mobile.

They money is not the issue for me, its the principle of them giving out my details. I won't be using Orange again after nearly 10 years with them.
Old 24 March 2006, 09:34 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
Register your phone on the TPS system, then their braking the law if they call

http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
Apparently not according to the woman I spoke to. Orange consider it marketing which is directly related to the service you originally signed up to (i.e. an Orange contract) so as far as they're concerned it's perfectly legal. Annoying though it is I also suspect it's legal or they wouldn't be trying it on.

If they gave your details to say a landline provider for example then I imagine that would be illegal.
Old 24 March 2006, 10:14 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Totally agree with you mate, its the principle.. Let us know if they reply cos i was going to do the same and construct a letter explaining how annoyed i am.

Ohh yeh..Iwan..if you change your tariff doesnt it sign you up to a new contract automatically..Im pretty sure it does mind..
Old 24 March 2006, 10:20 PM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

I asked that. Within the first 6 months of your contract you can only change to a more expensive tariff, but after 6 months you can change to a cheaper one. The guy I spoke to today said the contract length would be unaffected*.

* Lets hope he wasn't lying.