Phone and kids help please!

Search this Thread

Old 17 March 2006, 08:30 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Location: Holder of six fairy tokens, from the land of green ginger
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phone and kids help please!

The current Mrs CC has 2 children in the wonderful world of Teendom, both of whom persistently over use the landline, never have credit on their own mobiles, and even use said landline for ringing friends' mobiles.

Mrs CC is at her wit's end as she can never use phone herself......and is looking for a solution. Anyone know if there's a mobile package which she could have instead, which would allow phone calls from landlines at normal rates?

Any help appreciated!

CC
Old 17 March 2006, 08:37 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Get a lock for the landline phone / sockets ?

Have you got internet at home - Skype for the kids ?
Old 17 March 2006, 08:54 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Get a phone with a security lockout code
Old 17 March 2006, 09:05 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Cool

Switch to a phone package that allows unlimited local calls for a set fee per month. This is what we have done, and each call can last up to an hour befoer they start to charge you. £15 a month. Not sure what you can do about them calling mobiles though.

Geezer
Old 17 March 2006, 09:07 AM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Break their ****ing fingers, they are doing the equivalent of lifting money from her handbag. IT IS STEALING
Old 17 March 2006, 09:22 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Showing the itemised bill to my son sobered him up a bit. "Did you realise that you were on the phone to your mate for 86 minutes with a resultant cost of XXX?" It wasn't perfect, but I made sure he saw the itemised bill each month, and it certainly got less over time.
Old 17 March 2006, 09:31 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Thanks everyone.......it's not easy is it?

Jasey: Yes we've internet which is annoying because when they aren't on the phone they are on the net!

Jay m A: Good idea....we are going into Norwich in morning to hunt and will look out for a phone with lockout if that's the best way.

Geezer: Mrs CC is on a good package.....£20 per month but the problem is getting the phone for herself and the kids off it! They were shaking with disbelief when she told them what she was doing last night! Panic set in!

Lightning: I agree entirely that it's stealing, and if I wouldn't have dared carry on doing something wrong when I was their age - I'd have been biffed!

Brendan Hughes: We showed them the bill last month and totted up what each of them owed for mobile calls.......but they have carried on! Mrs CC really wants some peace from constant calls and "can I 'ave the phone Mum". The lad even has calls coming in after midnight! It has to stop! She has even tried hiding the phone but they simply dug out an old one and plugged that in!!
Old 17 March 2006, 09:38 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

The other thing that helped was when he asked for credit and I showed him just how much I'd charged his card in the last month - "so if you keep going on, you'll cost me £500 per year in phone bills". He learned how to text and get mates to phone him, after that!

Good luck. I don't think there's a magic bullet, it's something that will happen over 2-3 mths, provided you're determined.
Old 17 March 2006, 09:43 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Buying a phone with a security code will only work for that phone I'm afraid! As you say they can plug another phone in. I'm not sure if BT has a similar service that will be applicable to the line rather than the phone - worth enquiring about?
Old 17 March 2006, 09:44 AM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

you mentioned showing them the bill, but have they had to pay for any calls, or forfeit something else (clothing allowance, pocket money etc)

i'd persoanally limit their calls to say 10 mins a day (or something)

blimey, i always asked my parents when i used the phone, even when i was 18, just out of respect.

and really, rather than ask, i used to put my coat on, get my bike out and ride over my mates if i wanted a chat.

kids are fookin liberty takers these days and need taking down a peg or 2!!

[end of my 2 cents]

Dazza
Old 17 March 2006, 09:50 AM
jasey
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Buying a phone with a security code will only work for that phone I'm afraid! As you say they can plug another phone in. I'm not sure if BT has a similar service that will be applicable to the line rather than the phone - worth enquiring about?
Lock the Sockets will sort that.

Better still cut off the landline all together - that'll sort it !
Old 17 March 2006, 10:07 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Do they get 'pocket' money? Take phone bill out of that.
Old 17 March 2006, 10:28 AM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Dazza: You are so right.....it's wrong for them to expect having free use of the phone.........Mrs CC tried just giving them an hour (an hour!!!) each but they still took liberties. She has disconnected 'em sometimes which causes wonderful explosions!!! She has also taken calls out of their pocket money. Unfortunately Mrs CC lives in a smallish village and their pals are miles away so a bike isn't practical.

jasey: Will suggest locking sockets.......but Mrs CC is really determined to cut off landline....

Dracoro: Yep......she's taking money off them.......then they do less round the house.......it's a vicious circle! Mrs CC can't wait for them to leave home!!!

CC
Old 17 March 2006, 11:14 AM
ewanrw
Scooby Regular

Sounds like me and my bro all those years ago. I was reasonably well behaved but my brother ran up a £150 mobile bill, followed by a £470 bill and finally a £220 bill.

I haven't seen him since the third bill came in. I think he is buried under the garage. There is an awful smell in there in the summer.

I do miss him.

ewan

PS can they not use yahoo messanger or something like that. Get wireless broadband and a cheap laptop - problem solved.

Or am I being naive ??

Last edited by ewanrw; 17 March 2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 17 March 2006, 11:21 AM
ChrisB

Get BT to enable "Call Barring" on your landland. The basic options for outbound calls are:

1 Bar almost all calls – cancelling this option also cancels any other options you’ve barred
2† Bar national and international calls and calls to mobiles
3† Bar international calls
4 Bar all operator calls, BT Text (SMS text messages) and BT Text Direct 18001 & 18002.
5 Bar calls to numbers with a * or # in them (includes some Calling Features, but allows you to cancel this option)
7 Bar calls to Premium Rate numbers.

You then need a PIN number to turn off the baring, so Mrs CC can still use the phone. It costs £1.75/month.
Old 17 March 2006, 12:02 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

ewanrw: Thanks for that.......Mrs CC would like the laptop idea.....especially if the phone comes with it free. The only problem is that the kids really do overuse the phone and take the mickey.....cutting it off is so appealing!!

Chris B: Thanks for that.........will contact BT about barring, it would have same effect as cutting off landline but would leave phone available to Mrs CC and enable her friends to ring at normal landline rates. It would also still be available to kids in an emergency situation. Sounds like a good option!

CC
Old 17 March 2006, 12:59 PM
Sport160
Scooby Regular

Other option is to get rid of land line full stop, and all move to mobiles.

Then the kids get a set amount each month, if they go over it, they have to pay top up themselves.
Old 17 March 2006, 01:08 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Get broadband and insist they use Voice Over IP to call their friends on their PC's via Skype or similar, then no surprise bills. Multiple VOIP calls can be made concurrently and the landline will be free.
Old 17 March 2006, 01:22 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Next thread - "Kids are never off the computer, how do I stop it?"
Old 17 March 2006, 01:32 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Kids have mobiles but top up only lasts a few hours!!! Landline will have to go I think!

The skype idea is also worth a go.......will have to persuade Mrs CC that she will even let them do that or receive any calls at all first though, she's determined to remove phone!

Well Brendan......she's fed up of the internet too.......hates the "tap tap tap" as kids use messaging! Laptop would help that.......oh all these options!

But SN comes up trumps again.......thanks everyone for some very useful ideas!

CC
Old 17 March 2006, 01:44 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Next thread - "Kids are never off the computer, how do I stop it?"
Just one PC and multiple Skype wireless handsets
Old 17 March 2006, 01:49 PM
Dave T-S
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Exclamation

You don't have a 14 stone rottweiler by any chance, do you?
Old 17 March 2006, 01:52 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Have you look into getting them taken into care yet ?
Old 17 March 2006, 01:55 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

Tell them to get MSN!
Old 17 March 2006, 02:23 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Brit in Japan: Yep........skype needs investigating.......wireless headsets sounds ideal too!

Dave T-S: Mrs CC has two cross collies/alsatian.......but despite hours of training they will not eat the kids!

Lightning: You don't know how close Mrs CC has come to:

a) execution
b) kidnapping (but I wanted more than the tenner offered)
c) donating them to Guy's hospital
d) putting them on e-bay without reserve

SiDHead: They have MSN........and whenever one or the other of them isn't on the phone they are on MSN.....tap tap tap tap....muffled heavy metal audible through headphones......and if you peer over their shoulder to see what they are saying.....you've no idea what sort of stuff they talk about

CC
Old 17 March 2006, 02:34 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Why dont you just tell the kids to stop using the fone and dish out punishments for when theyre on it too long or making too many calls. Tell them to get their butts on msn messenger.

Id worry though if your sons spending over 10 mins on the phone and he isnt talking to a girl. Usually boys convos will be yes no ok and see u later. The only other time theyre on the fone long is because a GF told them to fone her.
Old 17 March 2006, 02:36 PM
ESH
Scooby Regular

Contact BT and have them set up a security code. the code is #341*2197# This bars all outgoing calls!!

I can't remember what the service is called but use this and they'll do the rest.

Basically you leave the bar on until you want to make a call. This way you're in control of who uses the phone. Landline is still a two way thingthough. Nothing stopping your kids friends from call them on the landline either but ultimately you won't bare the cost of this.

Hope this is the kind of thing that will help you.
Old 17 March 2006, 02:39 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

why not get a cheap laptop and then both kids can go on the net at the same time?
Old 17 March 2006, 02:55 PM
comic cuts
Scooby Regular

Thanks fellow SNetters!

Audilover: Mrs CC has tried all sorts of strongarm tactics.......to no avail....and is now so desperate to have the peace and quiet restored - every evening is a constant stream of incoming and outgoing calls intermingled with internet forays!!! Unfortunately (or fortunately!) I work away all week so don't see any of this going on!

She's considering the laptop route but I think it's gone too far now, she seems set on having a decent mobile package for herself and cutting off landline, which means I'll have to use telepathy during the week to contact her. It's a shame that telepathy doesn't work in my local though!!

Her lad is always talking to at least one girlfriend per evening.......her daughter to her boyfriend.

Fortunately they are both going to visit their Dad in Italy in April so Mrs CC will breathe a huge sigh of relief........temporarily!

ESH: This call barring idea is probably my preferred route too........it keeps options open.

I'll be travelling over to see Mrs CC this evening armed with all your great ideas.

Thanks again!

CC