Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Range Rover Sport Theft + Violence + ABH this am - help re anti hi jack systems

Search this Thread

Old 03 March 2006, 10:51 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Red face Range Rover Sport Theft + Violence + ABH this am - help re anti hi jack systems

My neighbour has been dragged from her new Range Rover Sport this morning (0805hrs) during vehicle theft - and was very nearly run over in the process.

She is very shaken up but otherwise ok (thank goodness).

Could some explain how anti hi jacking systems work?

Are they worth it?

Serious question.
Old 03 March 2006, 10:55 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No idea how they work I'm afraid.

Horrible experience for your neighbour of course, these crimes are getting too common these days, the crims are just laughing at the law and the police I think.

Les
Old 03 March 2006, 10:57 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Blackjax I think is the main one everyone likes, I think it doesnt stop your car being hijacked but it'll only let them get 100yds down the road before the engine cuts out and all the electrics etc so she would have gone through the same ordeal but got her car back in one piece....
Old 03 March 2006, 10:58 AM
Iwan
Scooby Regular

Blackjax basically arms if any of the doors are opened while the engine is running. Then when you pull away the anti-hijack sequence is activated once the revs rise to a certain preset level, once this happens you have 20 seconds to enter a PIN on a keypad before the system starts flashing the lights, sounding the siren, and immobilising the car.
Old 03 March 2006, 11:02 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

Only problem with blackjax is that you have a couple of angry people chasing you on foot to get the code from you. . . .
Old 03 March 2006, 11:16 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BlkKnight
Only problem with blackjax is that you have a couple of angry people chasing you on foot to get the code from you. . . .
Exactly, I think in a lot of cases if youre going to get carjacked, you just give them the car and let them bugger off, leaving you to contact Police and insurance.

Doing anything else is increasing the chances of you being hurt.
Old 03 March 2006, 11:18 AM
BlkKnight
Scooby Regular

At the end of the day it's only money & metal (as my dad always says). Why risk further injury?
Old 03 March 2006, 11:20 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Unless she's licensed to carry a gun and use it in a public place, I'd suggest a deep breath and the reasoning "That's why I pay a fortune for car insurance".
Old 03 March 2006, 11:27 AM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

There are other anti-hijack systems around too. You can get ones which require the driver to be carrying a radio transponder; once this device is out of range, the car will drive for about 1/2 a mile and then the engine cuts out. The idea is basically the same as with Blackjax, but you have the radio device in your wallet rather than having a code to enter.

The basic idea is still the same, though. Let the crooks have the car, phone the police, phone your tracker company, retrieve the car from just up the road - hopefully undamaged.
Old 03 March 2006, 11:28 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Why didn't she have the doors locked? Unless the theives smash the window, I fail to see how they could 'hijack' the car. Regardless, horrible crime and problem is that the authorities treat this as 'car crime' rather than assault/robbery etc. This won't stop, regardless of car security. We need to remove the thieves off the streets, have more police on the street to prevent it happening and have proper sentencing and more jails for the scum.
Old 03 March 2006, 11:29 AM
tmo
Scooby Regular

Need a trunk Monkey

www.trunkmonkey.com
Old 03 March 2006, 11:44 AM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dracoro
Why didn't she have the doors locked? Unless the theives smash the window, I fail to see how they could 'hijack' the car. Regardless, horrible crime and problem is that the authorities treat this as 'car crime' rather than assault/robbery etc. This won't stop, regardless of car security. We need to remove the thieves off the streets, have more police on the street to prevent it happening and have proper sentencing and more jails for the scum.
MORE DETAILS - she had opened the car with the key fob and was in the driver's seat and was pulling the door closed when the incident occured.

The car would have pulled onto a busy A road with commuter traffic - but the thieves had a Land Rover Discovery with them so this could have been used as a "weapon".

Best after all to let thieves take what they want - one's life is too precious to lose it to the likes of these animals.
Old 03 March 2006, 11:55 AM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

http://www.i-techsecurity.co.uk/index.html

A few of the Smacs lads are thinking of getting this - me included
Old 03 March 2006, 12:39 PM
legb4rsk
Scooby Regular

Location: If you're not braking or accelerating you're wasting time.

I don't think that carrying a radio transponder on your person is a very good idea.The 'scum' will soon cotton on to this & either take you with them , make you give it up or forcefully remove it from your person.This is putting you in danger & not your car.What a dumb idea.

I like the Backjax idea.Can you program it to take longer to activate,say 10 mins ? This will give you longer to get away & contact the police etc.They wont get that far away in 10 mins.
Old 03 March 2006, 12:43 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

where would a woman put the transponder... Yup her handbag... and where would that get left when you got dragged out of the car.

Andy
Old 03 March 2006, 12:46 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by legb4rsk
I don't think that carrying a radio transponder on your person is a very good idea.The 'scum' will soon cotton on to this & either take you with them , make you give it up or forcefully remove it from your person.This is putting you in danger & not your car.What a dumb idea.

I like the Backjax idea.Can you program it to take longer to activate,say 10 mins ? This will give you longer to get away & contact the police etc.They wont get that far away in 10 mins.
Blackjax gives them about half a mile IIRC, that's enough, they'll then be stranded in a car with blazing lights and a siren, stuck in the middle of the road, if they were to be stupid enough to try and locate you to get the code rather than take to their heels......well, I can't see it! Besides as soon as they get the car, you should run to the nearest public place and phone the police, not attempt self-recover as is often suggested.

NS04
Old 03 March 2006, 01:05 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Blackjaxx is great... Mine was demonstrated to me once installed - the siren makes your ears bleed if fitted behind the dash, the lights start flashing, the car cuts out (once revs are deemed low enough) and the scum get about 1/2 mile away...
If you've spent time and money on your car, you know that the insurance company will not give two hoots when sending you a cheque for claim on your dissapeared vehicle. With Blackjaxx I know Im getting my pride and joy back, within ~30mins... Although you could argue it would have been damaged by the scum in the 90 seconds they got to drive it...
Sorry to hear about your mates experience - not good...
Old 03 March 2006, 01:11 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
Blackjax gives them about half a mile IIRC, that's enough, they'll then be stranded in a car with blazing lights and a siren, stuck in the middle of the road, if they were to be stupid enough to try and locate you to get the code rather than take to their heels......well, I can't see it! Besides as soon as they get the car, you should run to the nearest public place and phone the police, not attempt self-recover as is often suggested.

NS04

IIRC Richard Askew attempted self-recovery and knocked 7 shades out of the one he caught. Scumbag tried to get him in court with an assault charge
Old 03 March 2006, 01:22 PM
RESSE
Scooby Regular

Question

Is it not about time the "legal system" was changed - in FAVOUR of the victim?

Bit if a can of worms this........
Old 03 March 2006, 04:25 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

There is the obvious weekness in the Blackjax system, should the thieves be aware of its installation and resort to violent measures to get the code. A solution to this would be to possibly have 2 codes. Your everyday code just as it has now, and a second code that seems to work fine, but some time later fails to operate. A simple addition to Blackjax Mk.2, and I shall settle for a free upgrade for the idea

Sorry about your friends troubles.
Old 03 March 2006, 04:29 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Don't buy a nice new car if you are a woman or if you are an IT Geeky type - as you will have it taken off you.

It's sad but true.

A 20 stone heavy sitting in a nice new motor is likely able to keep hold of it - simply due to the cowards wondering which one of them will be laid in hospital, when the others finally ****** the vehicle!

It's now a jungle out there ....................

Pete
Old 03 March 2006, 04:40 PM
AudiLover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Don't buy a nice new car if you are a woman or if you are an IT Geeky type - as you will have it taken off you.

It's sad but true.

A 20 stone heavy sitting in a nice new motor is likely able to keep hold of it - simply due to the cowards wondering which one of them will be laid in hospital, when the others finally ****** the vehicle!

It's now a jungle out there ....................

Pete
lol well if your cars woth over 20k youd better sell up being a feeble 77 year old.
Old 03 March 2006, 05:09 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by pslewis
No, it's because they don't want to get a slipped disc trying to get the driver's body out after they've shot him.
Old 03 March 2006, 05:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
No, it's because they don't want to get a slipped disc trying to get the driver's body out after they've shot him.
They're all fake guns anyway .... just pop your finger in the end and tell them to go foook themselves!!

Pete
Old 04 March 2006, 09:11 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

blackjax is superb i had it on my esc cossie, not only does it cut the engine sound horn alarm sirent flash all lights etc but it totally cuts off the alarm keyfobs etc too so there is nothing they can do atall apart from get out and run

if my wife had a tasty motor i would deffo make sure she had blackjax, bu she has a beat up diesel ford galaxy pmsl

the only thing with clifford alarms is reliability, get a good recomended installer to fit it as poor fitment is the main casue of problems
Old 04 March 2006, 09:16 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by corradoboy
There is the obvious weekness in the Blackjax system, should the thieves be aware of its installation and resort to violent measures to get the code. A solution to this would be to possibly have 2 codes. Your everyday code just as it has now, and a second code that seems to work fine, but some time later fails to operate. A simple addition to Blackjax Mk.2, and I shall settle for a free upgrade for the idea

Sorry about your friends troubles.

Your idea has one slight flaw though....if professional theives know about Blackjax and the "first code", then they'll know about the Mk2 which requires 2 codes as well....doh
Old 04 March 2006, 09:19 AM
apples24
Scooby Regular

to be honest you cant tell the car has blackjax to look at, the code is entered into the standard valet code 2 button switch, normaly placed in a discreet part of the dashboard
Old 04 March 2006, 09:53 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

The one I have fitted locks the doors 10secs after the engine is started, and IF someone trys to open it you hit the green button on the pad and the alarm goes off and the headlights flash too.
Cheers
Colin
Old 04 March 2006, 10:57 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its about time the PC dictators were kicked into touch and the innocent were allowed free licence to protect themselves against murderous criminals.

Can't expepct much else from this bunch in charge though-they just don't care anyway!

Les
Old 04 March 2006, 10:59 AM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

the only thing with clifford alarms is reliability, get a good recomended installer to fit it as poor fitment is the main casue of problems

And you so much as fart next to one and it goes off..

If you ever hear a car alarm going of, by sure it'll be a clifford.

Andy