Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Programmable Remotes

Search this Thread

Old 02 March 2006, 09:32 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Programmable Remotes

I've had a rummage through the archives that is SN but I can't find quite what I'm looking for.

The pile of remotes is getting rather large and it's time to consider getting some kind of universal jobbie to sort it all out. I know I could use my iPAQ, but that's not going to help the misses if I've gone out, so I really need a proper remote.

I need to be able to control:
Thomson TV
Panasonic DVD Player
Panasonic Reciever / Home Cinema Amp
Panasonic Video
Sky +
Phillips Freeview TV box
Denon CD player
Pace Analog Satellite Reciever

The last 2 are less important.

Anybody got any recommendations, if I can set it up by hooking it up to the PC then all the better.
Old 02 March 2006, 09:37 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Logitech Harmony - about £65 from Amazon - programmed from the PC and works brilliantly.

You tell it how you use your devices and it creates the macros. And it really does work. So if you watch TV via Sky and adjust the volume via a secondary receiver it will work all of that out and turn it all on from one button and then sky guide, volume etc work correctly from the controls on the remote.

Excellent.
Old 02 March 2006, 09:46 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Rannoch
Logitech Harmony - about £65 from Amazon - programmed from the PC and works brilliantly.

You tell it how you use your devices and it creates the macros. And it really does work. So if you watch TV via Sky and adjust the volume via a secondary receiver it will work all of that out and turn it all on from one button and then sky guide, volume etc work correctly from the controls on the remote.

Excellent.
This one?
Old 02 March 2006, 10:14 AM
ChrisB

I've got one of the older Harmonys (a 655 IIRC), Dixon's were clearing them out before Christmas - bargain at £25.

As Rannoch says, it's programmed via a USB cable. If Logitech don't have your device in their database, my Harmony has a learning IR port.
Old 02 March 2006, 10:17 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

All looking promising!! Thanks!
Old 02 March 2006, 10:21 AM
ChrisB

It's a cool thing, though sometimes a bit of "scrolling" needed if you want to access one of the lesser used functions on your AV amp (or whatever). That goes with having one remote though, not a pile which keeps Duracell in business.

Macros are good eg watch a DVD. That turn's on my amp & DVD, swaps the TV to the right AV channel and zeros the volume on the TV. Shame it can't fetch me a beer but I supose my girlfriend has to have something to do
Old 02 March 2006, 10:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ChrisB
It's a cool thing, though sometimes a bit of "scrolling" needed if you want to access one of the lesser used functions on your AV amp (or whatever). That goes with having one remote though, not a pile which keeps Duracell in business.
Some of the lesser used functions on the original remotes aren't too obvious. I have a nice pile of recharageable batteries

Macros are good eg watch a DVD. That turn's on my amp & DVD, swaps the TV to the right AV channel and zeros the volume on the TV. Shame it can't fetch me a beer but I supose my girlfriend has to have something to do
Macros sound like a good plan for the misses, at the moment she struggles with switching the TV over from terestrial to Sky!!

Trending Topics

Old 03 March 2006, 03:33 PM
windyboy
Scooby Regular

Location: Working in Belfast and living in Bangor, N'orn I'ron

I bought myself an "All in one kameleon 6" at Christmas time for £50 from Argos, it works for my Daewoo tv and Panasonic Sky box and Warfedale dvd, but it doesn't come with the correct code for my Philips cd player or Pioneer amp but most of the important functions work. I still have to set it up for my video or other hifi stuff yet.
It has blue buttons on the touch screen which look cool.
Windyboy.
Old 03 March 2006, 04:01 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

One word: Pronto. This marvellous range of devices (made by Philips) have backlit LCD touchscreens, and you can configure them any way you like from your PC. Create buttons with whatever shape, size, logo and organisation you like, including macros that operate multiple devices. So, you can have a single button, labelled (say) 'TV ON', which switches on the TV, amp, DVD player and satellite boxes, switches the amp to the correct source, sets the TV channel and so on.

I've had one about 6 yrs now and wouldn't ever be without one.
Old 03 March 2006, 04:44 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
One word: Pronto. This marvellous range of devices (made by Philips) have backlit LCD touchscreens, and you can configure them any way you like from your PC. Create buttons with whatever shape, size, logo and organisation you like, including macros that operate multiple devices. So, you can have a single button, labelled (say) 'TV ON', which switches on the TV, amp, DVD player and satellite boxes, switches the amp to the correct source, sets the TV channel and so on.

I've had one about 6 yrs now and wouldn't ever be without one.
£549 - I can buy a PC for less than that!!!
http://cpc.farnell.com/jsp/endecaSea...&Ntk=gensearch
Old 03 March 2006, 05:04 PM
AndyC_772
Scooby Regular

That's the staggeringly expensive 'pro' colour model. Try http://electronics.search.ebay.co.uk...pZ1QQsacatZ293
Old 03 March 2006, 05:08 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by AndyC_772
That's the staggeringly expensive 'pro' colour model. Try http://electronics.search.ebay.co.uk...pZ1QQsacatZ293
That's a bit more like it
Old 03 March 2006, 07:09 PM
spectrum48k
Scooby Regular

wonder if one of these would work on my garage door ?

perhaps the intelligent ones where you point your original remote at it and it records the signal, so it can reproduce it thereon...
Old 03 March 2006, 07:47 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

I've had a couple of Pronto's and must say I love them. Only reason I don't use my current one is that the touchscreen is buggered on it, and it's proably cheaper to purchase a new one than get it repaired.

One of the good things is the CCF files, you can design your own buttons and layouts, yes, rather geeky, but it's all about customising it for you.

If you have a PDA with IR on it then Griffin Technologys "Total Remote" was pretty good. It had a signal expander thing, plus it could read CCF files, v nice. They have stopped making it now, but it is possible to get the software, and it does still work. The hardware bit did make it a little more useful, probably find one on ebay if you need it.

Other thing, also PDA based is NEVO, it's pretty good, allows programming of unkown devices and has a pretty good database. It's what I'm currently using and I'm rather happy with it.
Old 04 March 2006, 12:22 AM
Trout
Scooby Regular

This is the one I bought

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...838955-3059861

This is the replacement I think

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...838955-3059861

The database is excellent - make sure you get your devices just right. It knew about some obscure British hifi I have so can't be all bad.

It can also learn if you get stuck - this in turn updates the database.
Old 04 March 2006, 10:29 AM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

Philips Pronto is the daddy.

Its superb - the one "toy" even my Wife will admit is invaluable.