Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Rave review, Raindance's Slightly late Valentine's ball 18/2/6

Search this Thread

Old 26 February 2006, 11:04 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Rave review, Raindance's Slightly late Valentine's ball 18/2/6

I have a real soft spot for Raindance, what with it being the first ever rave I went to just for the Hardcore. As well as that, I also like the way it has deliberately set itself apart from other raves on the circuit, often making brave decisions that, to other organisations, would have meant financial suicide.

These and a host of toehr reasons are more than enough for me to get myself to every party I can. With me keeping that promise for more and less every party since 2001, only excluding when I was overseas.

By far and away, their most intense raves, not to mention its spiritual home have been at the SEOne club in central London. It's underground feel and numerous arenas, ranging from huge to tiny are the perfect setting to the sort of rave Raindance puts on.

This is becuase Raindance does not limit itself to a particular kind of music. Hardcore, although an important componant is just one of its many facets and its not afriad to add to its repotoire, providing it can find the space. Having said that, once it commits to accomodating a particualr group of ravers, it always invites them back. Here today, gone tomorrow musical fashion is not on the Raindance agenda.

This is probably the reason why, for the past 6 1/2 years, upfront Hardcore has had its own musical arch at every Raindance party held at the SEOne. Not only that, but its lineups throughout this time have reflected the party's ethos of if you want to scratch your chin then go elsewhere, if you want to Rave till you drop and be thoroughly entertained throughout, then welcome aboard.

The "Slightly Late Valentine's Ball" was an extension of that. With nothing but the best with regard to what I was there for, namely Hardcore all the way in the red arch, with the likes of Energy, Sharkey, Ponder & HB, Crista, Lukozade, Bunter and the almightly CLSM all listed to play out. As well as that, following in the DnB arches footsteps and in a continuing effort to move away from MC culture, there would be only one MC for the Hardcore room. But less is definitely more in this case, cos MC Sharkey was to be the raver's host for the evening.

It was as close to a "must attend" event as could be, what with the last Raindance rave a distant memory, as well as it being the first one this year. I was actually excited about this one and I weren't the only one, judging by the amount of friends who were also up for it.

This was backed up by phone calls made on the way there. Apprantly even the pre meet pub was packed with ravers, never mind the actual party, but that was nothing compared to the sight that greeted me when I turned into Weston St. Tunnel.

A good indicator of what sort of event its going to be is the size of the queue outside. In this case it was as close to the entrance of the tunnel as I've ever seen it. Very noisy too, with frequent spontanious outbursts at regular intervals.

Eventually, after a long walk, we were at the front. After saying hello to Grant Epidemik, handing over our tickets and getting searched from security, we were in.

One thing I like doing when I get into the SEOne is having a wander round the place. Its one of the few places in london where you can spend a bit of time walking round and not see the same thing every few minutes. The most noticable thing was the movement of the main arena stage to the side of the arch, which in turn allowed access to the Deep Blue Arches, without having to fight your way through the DnB crowd.

As well as that, the huge LED screen hung above the second Deep Blue entrance and the Hard House arena (which was rammed all night long) behind it were the only real additions to what I've come to expect from a night out at Raindance. Everything else had been more than taken care of, from the very inviting Jenkins Lane arch to, of course, where I would be spending the majority of my night, The Hardcore arena.

I was in there so early, that surprisingly few of the rest of the crew were in the place, but that didn't matter, cos those that were there were well looked after. Visually, the Hardcore arena was a sea of stimulation, with plenty of fluro banners covering the walls, as well as my personal favourite, banners advertising previous and current events. As well as that, the huge inflatable fireballs and fully operational bubble machine on the ceiling contrasted nicely with the full on green laser mounted high above the ravers.

With the visuals taken care of, there was only the music left to consider. Thankfully, I was in good hands, thanks to Ponder and HB who were on the decks, as well as Lyrical back up from Rizla Dizla on the mic.

As the place filled up, the Hardcore ravers coming into the place were given the best possible introduction to the night's proceedings, mostly due to the Elation boy's aesome tune selection. Kicking out serious tunage from the word go, they shied away from the obvious choices. Even for a pair of jocks who have made a conscious decision to follow their musical scruples, it was an especially deep and murky set.

Seriously underground and seriously good too, with the kicks alternating with the breaks and all of it being impossible to ID (apart from the final tune), but very easy to dance to. As such, it was only afterwards that I learnt they had dropped "Beat the system", "Virus", "Wasp", and best of all, the original mix of the sublime "Faces of Angels"

Next up distinct change in direction, with HB and Ponder making way for Crista and Rizla Dizla handing over the mis to the evening's host, MC Sharkey. Both got immedately to work, ravers were swelling the ranks on the dancefloor by the minute, all of them needed entertaining.

And Entertained they were. Having seen previous sets from Crista at past Raindance parties, I knew what to expect, but this time she blindsided me by keeping faithful to her fast paced, energetic, party oriented set structure, as well as venturing out into new terratory with her actual set structure.

With the majority of Blatent Beats' back catalogue in her record bag, Crista got to work as Sharkz got into the swing of things and called Rizla a tight **** for not getting the drinks in before getting his 7 hour mic marathon underway. The restult was exactly what the crowd was looking for. An absoloute legend on the mic, accompanying a VERY danceable tune selection, including "Walking on the moon" and the Hardcore rip of "No good (start the dance)". throughout the set, two things dominated, an ever increasing amount of volume from the stacks and a proportionate increase in movement from the crowd whenever it happened.

With the previous two hours dominated by London Hardcore DJs, it made sense to continue in the similar vein and best of all, it was someone who always comes up with the goods, DJ Lukozade. More than capable in either upfront or Old skool guises, Luke has entertained me on many an occasion. As such, I was expecting great things from him, not to mention Rizla, who was more than keen to take over from Sharkz and do his thing.

With the set following a distinct pattern from the get-go, Luke satisfied his dual passions for both break and kick driven Hardcore by playing an equal helping of both. As well as that, he also showcased tunes from another of my particular favourite sub genres, namely, the bouncy sound which has lept to the forefront in recent years.

Even though much of the specifics of the set were totally lost on me, it was obvious that Lukozade was hell bent on playing a bit of everything and it showed. This, as well as some deft scratching skills, mixed in with "Take control" and "So long, bye bye" made for an hour in which standing still was not an option. As for sitting down, you can forget it.

Neither was their any time for a rest for the next set either, with the closest thing to a peaktime set just round the corner, Lukozade rinsed out his last tune then let Jon Doe, aka CLSM take over. Having not seen him since NYE, I knew this would have left him ample time for him to come up with something original.

What I didn't expect was a double pronged attack from Mr. Doe AND Sharkey, with the start of the set given over to teach the ravers "a lesson in Hardcore". Starting out with anything but, the intro was sutiably random, but eventually Sharkz had enough and demanded a kickdrum. He got one, but it was still not good enough, not to mention not nearly fast enough.

Sharkey then demaded a BPM increase and ever so slowly he got one. Eventually it was fast enough to be recognised what it turned out to be was none other than "Wicked MC", to which Sharkey did the decent thing and gave the party crew in the place a live rendition of the lyrics. Thereafter, the randomness gave way to pure unadulterated awesome tuneage.

Everything got a look in, from the most popular tunes such as "Feel so real" and "I see the light", to the deepness of "Heey" and "See you on the other side". This, as well as a lot of music I just didn't recognise and the surprise inclusion of none other than MC Robbie Dee on the mic made for a classic Hardcore outing from the man from Bathford, as well as one of my firm favourites for the night. Even if I was forced to sit down twice.

Fun though it was, (not to mention totally kicking at this point), I managed to drag myself from the Hardcore arena after CLSM's set. Why? cos it would be bordering on criminal to neglect the rest of the rave and stay in one arena for the night. Besides, The Jenkins lane arena and Nicky Dimensions was calling. Who was I to argue?

Walking into the arena and I knew I was in for a good time. The sign above the entrance proclaiming "Beware, elderly Jenkins Lane Raindance raver" made me chuckle, but it was the music that made me get down the front. When I arrived the easygoing raindance crew were in the place as usual, as well as the video screens, showing footage from the early years of the rave scene, not forgetting Nicky Dimensions who was on the decks already and pumping out the tunage.

With the BPMs taking a noticable tumble from Hardcore speed, it took a little while to get into it, however, it was quality, not pace that dictated my submersion into the sounds from when it all started. All of them were provided by Nicky Dimensions. I've rapidy grown to like the way this guy puts together his Jenkins lane sets, with lots and lots of dark, underground tunage forthcoming from the outset, but with the occasional well known classic thrown in for good measure.

This was the reason I was lost in the music for the next hour. Mixing it up with the coolest people in the building (and proabaly the oldest too) and loving every minute of it as we got down as one to the tunes. Like I said, most of it was lost on me, but what I can manage to remember includes "Future Bound", "Sweet sensation" and Frankie Knuckles' classic "You got the love" as a parting shot.

At this point I was planning to leave and go back into the Hardcore room for Billy Bunter's set. However I couldn't. I wanted to, but I couldn't. I couldn't because PK, the next DJ up after Mr. Dimensions bascially held me hostage for the next hour.

If you had said to me I'd be listening to a Funky House DJ and rushing my **** off throughout his set at the start of the night I would have laughed at you. However, PK's secret weapon was an astounding array of classic tunes and I might as well have been at gunpoint for the rest of his set, cos either way I weren't moving. Dancing, yes, going anywhere, no.

While it weren't 88-89 house in the strictest sense of the word (more club classics if I'm honest with you), I just didn't care. Its not every day you get the opportunity to surround yourself with like minded people and listen to music this good, so I took full advantage.

Another not to waste an opportunity was the DJ. Like I said, awesome in every sense of the word, with classic after classic after classic getting dropped. Everything was covered and no stone was unturned with the range spanning from "Unfinished Sympathy", through to the surprise iclusion of "Space Cowboy" and everywhere inbetween, with "Ride on time", "Killer", "Goodlife" and best of all, my first rave playout of "3am Eternal" by the KLF.

It was so good, it was nearer half five when thirst and a need of a **** finally dragged me away from the arena. Damn I had some fun in there, but I couldn't miss Glen Aston play out. After letting go and filling up, I made my way to the Old Skool arena.

Something was wrong from the outset, with an unexpected set swapround, Squirrel was on the decks and Robbie Dee was hosting things on the mic. Not unpleasent by any stretch of the imagination, especially when I was treated to "Keep the fire burning" and "Insomnia", but it was sight not sound that took my attention away from what was going on up on stage.

I was looking in the direction of the Hardcore arena when someone opened the door. What I saw inside was definitely unusual, with Kevin Energy on the mic. It was fair to say my interest had been piqued, so I went in and had a look at what was going wrong.

This was all wrong. Not only was Kev Energy on the mic, but Sharkey, who is traditionally NOT one for cheese was on the decks wearing a dayglo vest. However, if it was wrong in a visual sense, it was right in the aural sense, very right indeed.

Kev will proabably be the first to admit his talent on the mic is not encyclopedic, but he kept it minimalist, understated and most importantly, didn't take himself too seriously, so I dont have a bad word to say about MC Nic Nak, as I was reliably informed he will now be called. However, I've only good words with regard to the tune selection, with Sharkey and a bag of freeform by his side, his dress sense and musical taste were definitely at odds.

Like I said, Freeform all the way and utterly compelling with it. Me and the ravers who apparantly hadn't budged since I left for my walkaround went for it together as the Hardcore rained down. With me spending the first half hour in the Jenkins lane, then a good amount of time in the Main room before my attention was arrested, I didn't catch much of the set, but what I did catch was definitely something to write home about with "Pumping religion", a gabba remix of "Get ****ed", "Check this out" and an upfront remix of "Dominator" all featuring before it was 6am.

6am already! where had the night gone? I'm damned if I knew, but I was just thankfull Raindance finished at 7am and I had time for one last set before it was all over. With Sharkz and Kev Energy stepping down and Vibes and Lively taking their place, the remaining ravers in the place were all set for the final 60 minutes.

Vibes' recent conversion to upfront sets, together with the regular inlcusion of MC livelee on the mic for his sets mean his work has rapidly gained ground in terms of bookings to raves large and small. As well as that, his unsual set structure and unique way of doing things, while an aquired taste for some, are no problem to deal with those who like a bit of originality to their Hardcore.

Originality is the key here, cos while some of his work is the product of others, he also mixes in his new production efforts into the set, which goes to create something quite special. Not that I can remember much of it now, but its safe to say I was having it throughout the final hour, especially when "Open your eyes" and "Heaven on earth" were dropped.

Things I liked:
Lineup - Raindance always does things differently, but this was on another level. Wall to wall entertainment throughout the night, with every set I saw being of note for one reason or another. Mainly due to....

Music - Its a logical assumption to follow, you put interesting and unusual DJs on your lineup and the music will be interesting and unusual too. However, thisinterested in the upfront UK sound and the classics getting played didn't go away dissapointed either. The best way to sum up the night's music is proabably by saying simply "Something for everyone".

Sound System - Raindance has a stigma attached to its Hardcore Sound systems. I've lost count of the times I've had to listen to a moody sound system in the red arch. This time was different though. Okay, the volume was down for the earlier sets, but I was reliably informed the man at the controls was very good at his job. I was informed right. He worked tirelessly to get that system in order and I mean tirelessy. I saw him checking the sound quality at 6am ffs, but it weren't necessary. Once there was enough people in the arena to absorb the sound enough for it it be turned up, he did and it was all there. Bass, mids and tops as well as huge volume. Can we have him back next time please?

Attendance - I knew it was going to be a good night as soon as I saw the size of the queue. Its been a long time since I've seen one stretch back this close to the tunnel entrance, but once everyone was inside, the place was nicely packed, not too full though, but rocking till the final tune.

Aircon - With one of the red arches inherent problems out of the way, I was wary of another rearing its ugly head, especially with the large crowd. I needn't have worried. I was warm, but that was only due to excessive dancing. Besides, the cool air being pumped through the venue (especially in the Jenkins lane arch) was more than welcome.

Layout - Moving the main arena stage to the right of the arena meant not having to brave a sea of Junglists to get to the deep blue arches. Nice one.

PK - Having never heard him play out before, I didn't know what to expect, but two tunes in and wild horses would not have been able to drag me out of the Jenkins Lane room.

Sharkey - One of the better decisions of the night was to let Sharkey host the evening. To say you didn't know what to expect was a bit of an understatement. For Example:
Dateline - CLSM's set, Red arch:
"Right, I was everyone to sit down for Hardcore! Now!"
*Everyone sits down*
"Okay, right, you've just sat down at a rave you stupid ****ers, dont listen to anything I say again...
Make some noise for the CLSM!!!"
*everyone screams the place down*

Things I liked less:

Nothing. It was as close to a perfect night out as you're gonna get. Cant think of anything that brought my night down and thats after a bloody good think as well.

That was what it was all about. Up until then, the best Raindance I've been to was also my first, with it rapidly descending into the worst night of my life at around midnight when it all went horribly wrong.
This was different. The midnight hour at Summer Solstice 2001 when the temparature soared and I spent the next 4 hours in the toilets drinking water non stop just didn't happen. It was like the first few hours were on a loop which replayed itself throughout the night and didnt stop until 10am the next morning. As such, Raindance's first 2006 rave shot to the top of my personal league table entitled "Best night of my life".

Everything was comprehensively sorted out. The music (awesome), The sound system (Loud), the attendance (if not a sell out, then damn close) the atmosphere.. OK the atmosphere was the only thing that was business as usual , but Raindance always seems to generate that sort of atmosphere (namely, unrivalled) anyways, so its all good.

As well as that, the whole night shot by in a flash. I couldn'e believe when 6am appeared out of nowhere and I had to make my way to the Hardcore arena for the last set, so I stayed at the arfterparty until I had to leave, cos it was getting to the stage where I weren't sure whether I could do the drive home if I stayed any later.

In all I spent 12 hours at Raindance's slightly late Valentine's ball, but Raindance is rave where I seem to be able to spend massive amounts of time at with very little difficulty. I just didn't want to leave and when I did leave I was gagging to return. To this end I'll see you at the next one in April. Any chance of an action replay of what I've just described?
astraboy.

Last edited by astraboy; 26 February 2006 at 11:08 PM.
Old 27 February 2006, 12:35 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Old 27 February 2006, 01:27 PM
King RA
BANNED

Did you check out Dj Ambush's set?