Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

wireless laptop querey

Search this Thread

Old 25 February 2006, 11:12 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wireless laptop querey

when i bought my laptop (first computer) i took it home connected it up and to my disbelief i was on tinternet without any network provider my laptop is wifi enabled. after speaking with a mate i realised there was a nearby signal that i was recieving for free marvellous. anyway i then registered with wanadoo for emails etc. for convenience , now and then i could do with using the wirelss signal but cant for some reason. a strong signal is still showing and also says that i am connected to the wireless connection, but when i try and use the internet i cant. any ideas?
Old 25 February 2006, 11:14 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by bob r
when i bought my laptop (first computer) i took it home connected it up and to my disbelief i was on tinternet without any network provider my laptop is wifi enabled. after speaking with a mate i realised there was a nearby signal that i was recieving for free marvellous. anyway i then registered with wanadoo for emails etc. for convenience , now and then i could do with using the wirelss signal but cant for some reason. a strong signal is still showing and also says that i am connected to the wireless connection, but when i try and use the internet i cant. any ideas?
Maybe your neighbour has spotted you connecting and added a password?

Pop round and ask him what it is!
Old 25 February 2006, 11:53 PM
bob r
Scooby Regular

i didnt realise that the originator would know that there was a cheap skate cheeky tw*t using his signal.?
Old 26 February 2006, 12:28 AM
theotherphil
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haha, it can be quite funny to connect to their router or access point. Then using the default password that they haven't changed since they bought it, kick them off their own connection by adding a MAC filter (allowing only you to connect), setting up encryption and changing the default password on the way out. Not that I would ever do anything like that