Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Steinberg Cubase - what do I need now?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2006, 02:31 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steinberg Cubase - what do I need now?

I recently bought a new guitar processor- a Zoom G7.1ut for the hardware geeks- and with it came a copy of Cubase music production software. Apparently, the processor can be used as an interface between the guitar (and, presumably, any other instrument with a jack plug connector) and my computer with a USB lead. This is great, but what about connecting other devices, such as drum machine (a bit old), microphones etc?

Ideally it would be good to get my small 12:2 mixing desk to interface with the computer, as all the mic amps, XLR inputs etc are already on it. What would be a good interface at a cheap price, and what else might be useful? I don't think the soundcard on my PC is anything to shout about, either.

If anyone can give me a bit of advice I'd be most grateful.
Old 18 February 2006, 03:04 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Never bend down in a revolving door

hows that?
Old 18 February 2006, 03:22 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I recently bought a new guitar processor- a Zoom G7.1ut for the hardware geeks- and with it came a copy of Cubase music production software. Apparently, the processor can be used as an interface between the guitar (and, presumably, any other instrument with a jack plug connector) and my computer with a USB lead. This is great, but what about connecting other devices, such as drum machine (a bit old), microphones etc?

Ideally it would be good to get my small 12:2 mixing desk to interface with the computer, as all the mic amps, XLR inputs etc are already on it. What would be a good interface at a cheap price, and what else might be useful? I don't think the soundcard on my PC is anything to shout about, either.

If anyone can give me a bit of advice I'd be most grateful.
OK Bubba - piece of cake this
Cubase LE is a bit basic, but should suit your purposes
The Zoom will act as your audio interface - in other words, replace your soundcard.

The way to connect is it thus -

zoom - usb to the PC

zoom inputs - any audio input

Zoom outputs - into your 12 ch mixer (this will also be the outputs of your PC/Cubase - hence the USB connection)

Mixer - to your amp & monitors

How to connect other inputs - you've got two main methods -

1. Plug the toys into the inputs of the Zoom
2. Plug the toys into the mixer channels, adn use the FX/Aux send to send to the input of the Zoom.

The only thing you WON'T be able to do is to sequence/program the MIDI drums/any future keyboards etc and get Cubase to play it back automatically.
You'd need a MIDI interface - something like THIS

Can get it for about £50.

Any further questions, feel free to PM or email me (address in profile )

Dan
Old 18 February 2006, 03:36 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Excellent, Dan. How wonderful to find out I don't have to buy **** all. It sounds dead easy.
Old 18 February 2006, 03:38 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
The only thing you WON'T be able to do is to sequence/program the MIDI drums/any future keyboards etc and get Cubase to play it back automatically.
You'd need a MIDI interface - something like THIS
Good recommendation - nice to see they've changed the colour since I bought one, though.

I think I'd go with your option 2 if the mixer supports putting the zoom into the effects loop of the mixer.
Old 18 February 2006, 07:07 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Instead of a midsport think about this -

http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/product...roducts_id/189

In the long run this will get you running with a much better setup and pretty cheap (£55) for the stressless but ultimately flexible setup your going to get - simplicity is the key.

You can then route your mixer outs direct into the soundcard and use the integrated zero latency monitoring output to your amps/speakers.

You can then set your zoom as a send/return fx unit on the mixer and use it for your guitar/mic/drum machine whatever but your input to the PC ( and thus cubase for audio recording) can be as dry or wet as you want.
plus you've then got midi for a keyboard or synth/drum machine.
Old 18 February 2006, 07:49 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by flynnstudio
Instead of a midsport think about this -

http://www.musiconmypc.co.uk/product...roducts_id/189

In the long run this will get you running with a much better setup and pretty cheap (£55) for the stressless but ultimately flexible setup your going to get - simplicity is the key.

You can then route your mixer outs direct into the soundcard and use the integrated zero latency monitoring output to your amps/speakers.

You can then set your zoom as a send/return fx unit on the mixer and use it for your guitar/mic/drum machine whatever but your input to the PC ( and thus cubase for audio recording) can be as dry or wet as you want.
plus you've then got midi for a keyboard or synth/drum machine.
That sounds much better. My main reservation about the setup mentioned earlier is the mono input to the zoom. I might want to record live drums at some point so that would be a must. I also have a dedicated digital reverb in my rack.
Old 18 February 2006, 08:11 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Routing through the zoom would be a non-starter for me. In fact I'd probably still DI the guitar directly into the zoom and output the zoom into the mixer for the main part - only hooking it up to the send/return if I wanted to get 'crazy' with something else...

What kind of stuff you do bubba ?
Old 18 February 2006, 08:28 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

What kind of stuff you do bubba ?
Well my favourite kinds of music are punky melodic stuff and also stuff like earlier Radiohead when they used to use guitars. I've not recorded at home since my Tascam cassette-based system bit the dust a few years ago. I really enjoyed home recording then, but never got back into it with the new digital computer-based systems. Getting this free program has started to pique my interest again. Besides, I'd like to record some stuff with my boy playing drums.
Old 19 February 2006, 09:11 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

sorry bubba, i assumed you wanted to do it with what you already had!

that other card's good too. I don't tend to deal with the semi-pro/home market for reasons to do with my job

best of luck - it's all good fun though

Dan
Old 19 February 2006, 10:43 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
sorry bubba, i assumed you wanted to do it with what you already had!

that other card's good too. I don't tend to deal with the semi-pro/home market for reasons to do with my job

best of luck - it's all good fun though

Dan
No need to be sorry, mate. Your help was much appreciated. I'll probably use your suggested set up initially until I get used to the program, and while I save the money for a soundcard (bit skint ATM ).
Old 19 February 2006, 09:29 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Knackers. Went all through the program installation and device setup, bought myself some headphones from Argos today so I could fart about with it while the wife was watching telly and settled down for a bit of a play and.....

A slight tug on the ****ty feeble headphone cord has left them completely defunct

Why do they make them so fragile, FGS?
Old 19 February 2006, 09:41 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

PMSL!!!!!!
Old 19 February 2006, 09:46 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Old 20 February 2006, 07:45 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by Bubba po
Argos

A slight tug on the ****ty feeble headphone cord has left them completely defunct

Why do they make them so fragile, FGS?
Sennheiser
Old 20 February 2006, 09:08 AM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
Sennheiser
Close but no ceegar... JVC.

I (just) fell short of buying the cheapest they had.

[Telboy]

A different world

[/Telboy]

Old 20 February 2006, 11:32 AM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

If you really must have cheap cans!!!

Sennheisser

I know money is tight but personally I'd go for a £50 set - they literally will last you about 10 years and you won't hanker for another set.

(edit - Oops - just seen chips reccomendation!! Your already there!)

The family music thing sounds like a buzz - must be great fun. you joined garageband.com yet ?

hope your not planning on having 9 kids and dragging them out on the road with you!!

You ever seen 'the mighty wind' - hilarious film by the guys who did spinal tap - all about folk singers! -

Last edited by flynnstudio; 20 February 2006 at 11:34 AM.
Old 20 February 2006, 05:28 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

If you really must have cheap cans!!!

Sennheisser

I know money is tight but personally I'd go for a £50 set - they literally will last you about 10 years and you won't hanker for another set.

(edit - Oops - just seen chips reccomendation!! Your already there!)

The family music thing sounds like a buzz - must be great fun. you joined garageband.com yet ?

hope your not planning on having 9 kids and dragging them out on the road with you!!

You ever seen 'the mighty wind' - hilarious film by the guys who did spinal tap - all about folk singers! -
When my band money starts coming in, there will be all sorts of goodies I'll be wanting to buy

The family music thing is ace. For me and my Lad (age 7) it's similar to the football that other dads and their sons play together. Often, the Missis joins in as well... we were all doing The Pixies' "Where is My Mind", the other week.

I'll check out Garageband.com.