Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

How come Police cars dont have lights and checks anymore?

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2006, 08:39 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question How come Police cars dont have lights and checks anymore?

How come the police round here dont have proper police cars anymore?

they have white focuses with police on the back and side in smaller text. No lights, no checkers down the side, no sirens. Whats going off?
Old 10 February 2006, 08:44 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

dunno about that, but we are getting a lot of Silver Police cars. Its so they have a better re-sale value.

G.
Old 10 February 2006, 08:56 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

Its weird. At 1st i though it was like some cars for delivery mail or stuff. but theres 2 coppers in them looking all coppery like.
Old 10 February 2006, 09:10 AM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

it might be because theyre not being driven by real police officers, but community support officers.
Old 10 February 2006, 09:30 AM
watto52
Scooby Regular

or it could be two blokes playing at being coppers...........it happens!
Old 10 February 2006, 11:15 AM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Great aint it!!

Where i work section is split into two. You have the response cops who deal with grade 1's and 2's (emergencies). These tend to (but not all the time) drive fully liveried vehicles with emergency equipment. Then we have the Area Policing Teams who deal with everything else (neighbour nuisance/youths causing annoyance etc). They tend to drive plainer type vehicles without sirens and lights.

Unfortunately it has become a budget exercise now with divisions trying to spend the least possible on vehicles, we're down to small engined corsa's and fiestas at the minute. Totally takes away your ability to respond quickly to emergencies. Couple that with a new pursuit policy which basically says unless you are an advanced pursuit driver then you don't pursue (or only for a very short time before it is cancelled) we now have a slow police force, unable to respond to emergencies at speed and not allowed to try to catch fleeing offenders in vehicles unless they are fully trained up (4 week course, very hard).

Obviously resale value comes into it, no-one wants ex white police cars, but a nice 3 year ols silver fiesta carefully driven?
Old 10 February 2006, 11:29 AM
TonyFlow
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chris5-0
Great aint it!!

Where i work section is split into two. You have the response cops who deal with grade 1's and 2's (emergencies). These tend to (but not all the time) drive fully liveried vehicles with emergency equipment. Then we have the Area Policing Teams who deal with everything else (neighbour nuisance/youths causing annoyance etc). They tend to drive plainer type vehicles without sirens and lights.

Unfortunately it has become a budget exercise now with divisions trying to spend the least possible on vehicles, we're down to small engined corsa's and fiestas at the minute. Totally takes away your ability to respond quickly to emergencies. Couple that with a new pursuit policy which basically says unless you are an advanced pursuit driver then you don't pursue (or only for a very short time before it is cancelled) we now have a slow police force, unable to respond to emergencies at speed and not allowed to try to catch fleeing offenders in vehicles unless they are fully trained up (4 week course, very hard).

Obviously resale value comes into it, no-one wants ex white police cars, but a nice 3 year ols silver fiesta carefully driven?
How pathetic (not you - what this sack 'o ****e nation has become!)
Old 10 February 2006, 11:41 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

But you have to remember that the electorate and taking care of it is of no further importance. The interest only appears to increase close to elections!

Les
Old 10 February 2006, 12:06 PM
brihoppy
Scooby Regular

been done to reduce the amount of police road traffic accidents when responding to an emergency or being involved in a pursuit hasnt it...?

wasnt it covered on here a while ago...?
Old 10 February 2006, 06:54 PM
Chris5-0
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by brihoppy
been done to reduce the amount of police road traffic accidents when responding to an emergency or being involved in a pursuit hasnt it...?

wasnt it covered on here a while ago...?
Allegedly but unfortunately when you hear about an oap having the **** kicked out of her by some ****** you tend to give it some anyhow don't you, not clever in a practically unmarked Corsa. then you get questionned over you lack of response speed.

Catch 22 or what, screwed if you do, screwed if you don't.

Chris.
Old 10 February 2006, 08:13 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

must admit, i have found that if you drive an impreza etc, and are doing something a bit naughty you never ever seam to have a **** engined panda car even try to stop you.

traffic cops yes, pandas, they never ever bother
Old 11 February 2006, 02:36 AM
Poor Guy
Scooby Regular

my mum who works for the police, says they are sick of the little engined diesel pugs they have. because they have small engines, they get really razzed, and they become rattley. Apparently the average ****** bag thief can hear them a mile off.
Old 11 February 2006, 02:42 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I was in a police car the other day and it was a diesel astra It was sooo slow the coppper was embarassed.

*I was not under arrest BTW
Old 11 February 2006, 04:48 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I got pulled once by an unmarked diesel astra, bag of sh1te, and the "detective" was a real kont, which is unusuaul in my experience, genuinely.

Anyway, they have a lot of these cars in London, I think they may be used for moving people and other non-emergency work, traffic light problems etc...... although I don't think they are used by the community support people. May be an attempt to make the force seem more subtle?

I would have gone the other way myself, more Mad Max than Noddy is needed these days, if I had a say in it!
Old 11 February 2006, 09:22 AM
TDT
Scooby Regular

No crappy Astras here

Taken after the last flight of concorde: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...BOAGJankel.jpg

Just a bit of fun.........
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...oRatPatrol.jpg

Last edited by TDT; 11 February 2006 at 09:41 AM.