Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Stupid Local Council!

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2006, 08:03 AM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stupid Local Council!

OK, this is probably a bit of NIMBY-ism but I'm really annoyed.

The local council are resurfacing the main road by us at the end of the month and are therefore closing the road completely for 6 days. This work is definately needed and I'm not complaining about that.

What's really annoyed me is that the diversion that everyone will have to use directs traffic past 3 local schools and they're doing it the week AFTER half-term. It's going to be traffic chaos and it also means that what was a 5 minute, 2.5 mile job to drop my son off at the nursery is now going to be a 10 mile trip through said rush hour traffic.

Now at this point, you might think that I'm just annoyed because it's put me out a bit (which is true) but the reality is that Runcorn has a road network that only buses can use (busways). There is a busway that runs from the point they're closing the road and rejoins the main road just after the point where the roadworks finish (not even half a mile in length). Surely the council should just open this stretch of road rather than divert all the traffic past the schools? Numpties
Old 09 February 2006, 08:52 AM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Your right about the road network in Runcorn Rev - Bus Drivers Paradise...
and it does seem a but numb doing the work after half term...
St Helens council are obsessed with speed bumps, the higher the better it seems and charging me a thousand pounds a year to collect my bin once a week
Old 09 February 2006, 01:42 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It always used to be the rule that if roadworks were in progress it had to be done without having to close the road. Nowadays it seems anyone can block it for their own convenience.

What happened to the rule I wonder.

Les
Old 09 February 2006, 01:52 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds just like our retarded council: (this is all on the same road btw)
- Filled in all the pull-in style bus stops so that buses have to stop on the main road, bocking all traffic from passing.
- Installed a bunch of speedbumps and tabletops. The tabletops are already coming apart after less than 4 weeks and there is one speedbump placed 20ft from a junction so as you brake in you are thrown up in the air
- On top of this this they have not carried out any form of repair on the road so there are potholes, cracks and out and out craters in the road.

To call them a bunch of lentil-eating, sandal-wearng, useless, bearded incompetents would be putting it mildly.
Old 09 February 2006, 03:55 PM
Paul3446
Scooby Regular

At least you get your bin collected every week, try £1,200 council tax and rubbish collection every 2 weeks in Suffolk! Forget to put the bin out once and you have month old rubbish sitting around in your garden.
Old 09 February 2006, 04:17 PM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

is this the one.

9th Feb - 14 Feb
00:00 Hrs Thursday 9th Feb, Road Closure for 6 days.
Works will be carried out from Thursday 9th Feb and will be completed over the next six days for a section of approx. 120m of carriageway. A diversion route via Holloway, Westfield Road, Russell Road and Sandy Lane will be in place.

or is it this one, thats some diversion too.

20th Feb - 26th Feb
00:00 Hrs Monday 20th Feb, Road Closure for 5 days of Barnfield Avenue
00:00 Hrs Thursday 23th Feb, Road Closure for 4 days of Norton Station Road
Works will be carried out from Monday 20th Feb and will be completed over the following week for a section of approx. 335m of Barnfield Avenue and 440m of Norton Station Road. Diversion routes will be in place via.
1) Barnfield Avenue, Murdishaw Avenue, Southern Expressway, Central Expressway, Daresbury Expressway, Manor Park Avenue, Windmill Hill Avenue North, Windmill Hill Avenue East, Norton Station Road.
2) Norton Station Road, Windmill Hill Avenue East, Windmill Hilll Avenue North, Daresbury Expressway, Central Expressway, Southern Expressway, Murdishaw Avenue, Barnfield Avenue.

not good at all, its like the bridge works they always start them just after the summer holidays, when theyve just had 6 weeks of relative calm over the bridge???
Old 09 February 2006, 06:23 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Of course they do. Why make it easy on everyone

Stretch of road near me had speed bumps installed, table tops and cushions. There were loads of them. 6 months later they dig them all up and resurface the road! And they put less road humps back - which I'm all for BTW.

Why couldn't it all be done at once?
Old 09 February 2006, 07:04 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
It's going to be traffic chaos and it also means that what was a 5 minute, 2.5 mile job to drop my son off at the nursery is now going to be a 10 mile trip through said rush hour traffic.
Good job you don't live in south lincolnshire then
Old 09 February 2006, 07:25 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NWMark
or is it this one, thats some diversion too.

20th Feb - 26th Feb
00:00 Hrs Monday 20th Feb, Road Closure for 5 days of Barnfield Avenue
00:00 Hrs Thursday 23th Feb, Road Closure for 4 days of Norton Station Road
Works will be carried out from Monday 20th Feb and will be completed over the following week for a section of approx. 335m of Barnfield Avenue and 440m of Norton Station Road. Diversion routes will be in place via.
1) Barnfield Avenue, Murdishaw Avenue, Southern Expressway, Central Expressway, Daresbury Expressway, Manor Park Avenue, Windmill Hill Avenue North, Windmill Hill Avenue East, Norton Station Road.
2) Norton Station Road, Windmill Hill Avenue East, Windmill Hilll Avenue North, Daresbury Expressway, Central Expressway, Southern Expressway, Murdishaw Avenue, Barnfield Avenue.

not good at all, its like the bridge works they always start them just after the summer holidays, when theyve just had 6 weeks of relative calm over the bridge???
It's the big one

I've e-mailed the council to ask why we can't use the busway. I'll be very interested in the response.

They say a picture paints a thousand words.

The red is the closed road, yellow is one of the suggested diversions and the blue is the busway.

Old 09 February 2006, 08:26 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Why not just get the bus for that week

to be fair that is damn stupid! and they want to reduce polution....
Old 09 February 2006, 08:38 PM
FlightMan
Scooby Regular

What a bunch of morons.. i bet you get nowhere, but good luck!
Old 09 February 2006, 08:43 PM
NeilA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by NotoriousREV
It's the big one

I've e-mailed the council to ask why we can't use the busway. I'll be very interested in the response.

Just had one of my council clients moaning that some new directive has come through that a response to emails is required within 24 hours? - so at least you should know soon!
Old 09 February 2006, 09:13 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by NeilA
Just had one of my council clients moaning that some new directive has come through that a response to emails is required within 24 hours? - so at least you should know soon!
I've got my "response":

Originally Posted by Some Council Drone
Thank you for your enquiry. The enquiry has been logged on our system and is
being dealt with. You should receive a response from the Highways
Department shortly.
They'll probably wait until they've finished the resurfacing before I get a full answer
Old 09 February 2006, 09:46 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Runcorn, dont start me on run bloody corn!!!!

2 hours i spent driving round looking for a bl**dy hotel with some stupid name, cos the locals all call it that.

turns out to be some daft french portakbin huts,,,,

and yes the bloody bus lanes are a joke

just hire a bus for the week, then they cant do anything

Mart
Old 10 February 2006, 01:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

Had a reply:

Originally Posted by Senior Engineer Dude
Thank you for your enquiry regarding the works at Barnfield Avenue / Norton Station Road.

The section of Barnfield Avenue from the entrance of Clarendon Close to the roundabout junction with Norton Station Road and Falston Drive and the length of Norton Station Road from the same roundabout junction to the entrance of Plover Drive, both require essential maintenance works to be carried out on them.
Due to the restricted widths of the road and to ensure the safety of the workforce it is necessary to close the roads. The works have been scheduled for the school holiday period so that these works will have the least impact on traffic in the area as possible.

The busway option was considered but after investigation couldn't be used due to the way the busway was originally designed. There is insufficient allowed turning access onto and off the busway for vehicles, a positive design feature to prevent vehicles from wrongly accessing the busway in it's normal usage. There are also problems with height restrictions for the footbridge on that section of busway.

I would like to apologise again for any inconvenience caused but these works are required and as I said, have been programmed to minimise the inconvenience by being carried out during the school holidays.
So, it's not quite as bad as anticipated as apprently our school holidays are a week behind other schools. Still a pain in the ***, though.