Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Cosworth driver jailed for killing Subaru driver

BBC NEWS LINK

five years in jail, doesn't seem enough
Old 03 February 2006, 01:28 PM
marklemac
Scooby Regular

Location: Southampton*** MY02 STi, Black/Blue Mica Prodrive Style, mildly modded :) :). ***

5 yrs is crap.

Just seems to me that if you wanted to knock someone off, you just drive into them and get away with minimal sentencing...
Old 03 February 2006, 01:30 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by LUCKO
BBC NEWS LINK

five years in jail, doesn't seem enough
Condolences to the family and friends of the deceased. I was going to say that 80mph on an A road didn't seem that bad (assuming national speed limit, 60mph single lane, 70 double lane) but then saw this bit....

"The court heard how Scott, who was driving a Ford Sierra Cosworth, already had a previous conviction for driving at 79mph in a 30mph zone on the same stretch of road".

Doesn't really bode well for him does it. So was he doing 80 on a 30 zone again???

NS04
Old 03 February 2006, 01:32 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Angry

5 years for killing two people is just not enough, out in three and driving again in six - that is a joke and makes a mockery of the system.

Prison for 12 years min, no parole and banned for life in more like it.

How terrible for the familes involved and what a blight on british justice if this is the best we can manage.

If i went out got pissed and beat two people to death i would get just a boit more than this smack on the wrist.

About time the law regognised this as a real crime and treated it as such.
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

I saw on the news yesterdaay about a guy who ploughed into the back of a couple at 100mph in his Subaru.
davegtt
Scooby Senior

wtf is the point in banning him for 6 years if hes in jail for 5 of them, surely the driving ban shouldnt come into effect until hes released? Infact, in cases like this they shouldnt be allowed a driving license ever again. Not that'll probably stop him ever driving.
Old 03 February 2006, 01:38 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

So 5 years in the clink and a ban for 6 years! well he will be banged up for 5 years so technically he only got a 1 year driving ban!.
Old 03 February 2006, 01:41 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Question

Originally Posted by Wurzel
So 5 years in the clink and a ban for 6 years! well he will be banged up for 5 years so technically he only got a 1 year driving ban!.

Wurzel - what would be the likely sentence fo the same sort of crime in Germany?
Old 03 February 2006, 01:44 PM
Wurzel
Scooby Senior

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
Wurzel - what would be the likely sentence fo the same sort of crime in Germany?
Sorry mate no idea but it would probably be a weeeeeee bit more severe than this slap on the wrist. I will try and find out though out of curiosity.
Old 03 February 2006, 02:14 PM
SwissTony
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

what a *****. longer, lots longer
Old 03 February 2006, 02:25 PM
Scooby Roo
Scooby Regular

Especially after being caught doing 79 in a 30 zone. The guys an idiot.
Old 03 February 2006, 02:55 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Im surprised he could even get insured for a Cosworth. It seems that after 15 years these cars are still at the centre of accidents like this.
Old 03 February 2006, 02:59 PM
messiah
Scooby Regular

Location: Surviving as a soldier of fortune on the Los Angeles underground...

Will be all over the local news tonight - this happened about 10 miles away from me...

Funny how when it was first reported the cars were referred to as a "Subaru and a Sierra" so everyone assumed it was the subaru driver who was at fault.

IIRC the road where it happened is a 60 zone and the cossie driver was doing 100+ when the scooby pulled out in front of it.

Last edited by messiah; 03 February 2006 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03 February 2006, 03:04 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by 16vmarc
Im surprised he could even get insured for a Cosworth. It seems that after 15 years these cars are still at the centre of accidents like this.

I am suprised he could get insurance, we assume he has insurance though!

As for 'these cars' being at the centre of accident like these. the Cosse and Scoobs and a few others are suffering. there are two camps (as i see it) the owners fall roughly into (ok some exceptions but bare with me!)

Enthusiasts spend time and money on them in one form or another and drive them mostly with skill and care and not to endanger others.

Hooligans who have always wanted a 'fast' car, they where a menace when they had a Nova/Clio, etc but now have a 200+BHP 'proper' fast car to loon around in and treat it and other road users/pedestrians with little or no respect. drive like ***** as and when they like.

OK, i generalise but there ya go!
Old 03 February 2006, 03:36 PM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by messiah
Will be all over the local news tonight - this happened about 10 miles away from me...

Funny how when it was first reported the cars were referred to as a "Subaru and a Sierra" so everyone assumed it was the subaru driver who was at fault.

IIRC the road where it happened is a 60 zone and the cossie driver was doing 100+ when the scooby pulled out in front of it.
And how many of the posters on this thread and on this BBS have not done those sorts of speeds in 60 mph limits?????

And who is to say that the Scooby driver was an ignorant prat who never looked when he pulled out?

I'll bet many of us in here could quite easily be, or have been, the same position as the Sierra driver...
Old 03 February 2006, 03:54 PM
StudentScooby
Scooby Regular

One of my mates killed someone and did less than a year for death by dangerous.
Old 03 February 2006, 03:59 PM
Reality
BANNED

The "system" is geared towards getting money out of decent, tax paying drivers not keeping bad ones off the roads.

Old 04 February 2006, 10:31 AM
John Mac
Scooby Newbie

That sentence is totally disgusting,seems this guy doesn't learn a lesson.After getting done for 79mph in a 30 limit, he then goes out and kills.it beggars belief how the scumbag can even insure a cosworth.If it was any of my family he killed ,i would be waiting on him getting out of prison with a shotgun.

Remember any idiot can make a car go fast,but it takes skill and experience to control it and stop it!
I love to drive enthusiastic as much as the rest of us and when i do the only danger is to myself,not other road users or pedestrians and certainly not in a 30 limit!

newbie my ar*e ........new login......bloody pooters
Old 04 February 2006, 10:41 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo
And how many of the posters on this thread and on this BBS have not done those sorts of speeds in 60 mph limits?????

And who is to say that the Scooby driver was an ignorant prat who never looked when he pulled out?

I'll bet many of us in here could quite easily be, or have been, the same position as the Sierra driver...
I find myself in a strange position

I agree with everything Diablo Said.
Old 04 February 2006, 10:49 AM
GrahamG
Scooby Regular

That seems a bit strange. he is banned for 6 years of driving... but he is in jail for 5 of them. unless they start when he comes out??
Old 04 February 2006, 01:42 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

the subaru was pulling out or turning in at a juctionand and got t-boned, think the driver made an error in judgeing the speed of the sierra and got hit. very sad all the same
Old 04 February 2006, 03:06 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Angry

As for 'these cars' being at the centre of accident like these. the Cosse and Scoobs and a few others are suffering. there are two camps (as i see it) the owners fall roughly into (ok some exceptions but bare with me!)

Enthusiasts spend time and money on them in one form or another and drive them mostly with skill and care and not to endanger others.

Hooligans who have always wanted a 'fast' car, they where a menace when they had a Nova/Clio, etc but now have a 200+BHP 'proper' fast car to loon around in and treat it and other road users/pedestrians with little or no respect. drive like ***** as and when they like.

Could not have put it better myself, Hang the no good barstward for murder
Cheers
Colin
Old 04 February 2006, 04:16 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

80 in a 30 is totally OTT, it bears no comparison to the same speed in a 60 limit. On the m/way I sit at 80 perhaps, but come on, in a built up area.
Old 04 February 2006, 04:39 PM
New_scooby_04

I agree with this generally, Paul.

I Should, however, say that I also partly agree with Diabalo's comments...you might say I'm playing Diabalo's advocate

We don't have all the facts to hand here: what we do know is that the cossie driver was previously convicted for doing 80 in a 30 which is out of order and is not exactly conducive with some-one who drives safely. It may have been totally his fault..

BUT

The Subaru and Rover driver incident of late shows one thing: the media will side with the deceased, even if they may share some of the blame. What -if as Diabalo said- the Subaru driver pulled into his lane without looking? Of course, it might not have had such disasterous consequences had the convicted man not been speeding, but it might have.... It's all guess work.

My point is that we shouldn't all jump on the bandwagon on the basis of assumptions. Two people have died that much we do know and that's a damned shame.

As for the rest, ell, lets just say that

A dangerous driver has been punished and taken off the roads, that much we presume on the basis of an incomplete story and accounts that may be biased. We can only hope that we are correct in our presumptions

NS04
Old 04 February 2006, 05:37 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04
I agree with this generally, Paul.

I Should, however, say that I also partly agree with Diabalo's comments...you might say I'm playing Diabalo's advocate

We don't have all the facts to hand here: what we do know is that the cossie driver was previously convicted for doing 80 in a 30 which is out of order and is not exactly conducive with some-one who drives safely. It may have been totally his fault..

BUT

The Subaru and Rover driver incident of late shows one thing: the media will side with the deceased, even if they may share some of the blame. What -if as Diabalo said- the Subaru driver pulled into his lane without looking? Of course, it might not have had such disasterous consequences had the convicted man not been speeding, but it might have.... It's all guess work.

My point is that we shouldn't all jump on the bandwagon on the basis of assumptions. Two people have died that much we do know and that's a damned shame.

As for the rest, ell, lets just say that

A dangerous driver has been punished and taken off the roads, that much we presume on the basis of an incomplete story and accounts that may be biased. We can only hope that we are correct in our presumptions

NS04
Utter crap. If he'd been hit at 30 - 40 there might have been a chance. How you can condone 80 in a 30 completely beggars belief. I hope I never come across either you or Diablo on the road.
Old 04 February 2006, 06:04 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by _RIP_
Utter crap. If he'd been hit at 30 - 40 there might have been a chance. How you can condone 80 in a 30 completely beggars belief. I hope I never come across either you or Diablo on the road.
I suggest you read my post again properly this time.

I clearly stated that his conviction was not conducive with someone who was a careful driver and that 30 in an 80 was out of order!!

I merely stated that we do not know the full facts of the case and can only hope that the assumptions we're making to fill in the gaps are correct.

Read before you reply.

Thanks,

NS04

PS. For your information, I've held a clean licence for 12 years and would NEVER dream of doing 80mph in a 30.

PPS
Originally Posted by _RIP_
Utter crap. If he'd been hit at 30 - 40 there might have been a chance. .
Also, am I wrong in thinking that this piece of road was rated at 60mph?

I'd have wondered why anyone would be doing 30-40 -assuming appropriate conditions.

NS04

Last edited by New_scooby_04; 04 February 2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old 04 February 2006, 06:08 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Speaks volumes for Ford build quality though
Old 04 February 2006, 06:11 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by pete1977
Speaks volumes for Ford build quality though
Ford and build quality....does not compute!!

More likely that the Ford would have taken the impact at the front, which affords much better protection than a side impact, which is presumably what the Subaru suffered. Again, all assumptions.

Ns04
Old 04 February 2006, 06:19 PM
Midlife......
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rip

The road in question is NSL = 60 MPH

Shaun

Quick Reply: Cosworth driver jailed for killing Subaru driver