Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Scooby Tale - overtaking not always the best option!

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2000, 12:48 AM
H@work
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face

I've had an STi3 since Aug99, I can honestly say it's the best car I've ever had! Fstop!

Last night on the usual trip home from work (Knutsford - Stockport)I was travelling at about 30mph behind 3 slower cars on a fairly bendy stretch of road coming out of Knutsford the speed limit was 60. It was dark and the road was damp. Any way knowing the road well (13yrs of to-ing and fro-ing from work) the spots where you can overtake are well ingrained in the mind, approaching a bend knowing that a good straight was round the corner I prepared to overtake , had a wee look down the straight , clear , 3rd gear, off we go , 40-50-60-70, zipping past the 3 slow vehicles ("so what! nothing new under the sun - scoobies accelerate like there's no tomorrow,) however as I was passing the front vehicle an oncoming car flashed (you know the score , even though there was an absolute age before I had to pull in) On pulling back in I was suddenly confronted by the rear half of a Merc estate broadside infront of me (The road I was on has the elite cheshire set houses on it (1 million + des res's) Each house has a driveway the size of a runway with big electric gates at the entrance to each. Any way the tos*er obviously had problems with his gates as he was waiting behind another car to get in, not realizing that his back end was blocking 2/3 of the road. "Sh*t the f*'ing bed!!!!!" There was no time for hooting, braking, cr*pping ones kecks, just an instant reaction to swerve to the right by 10ft (this is at 80+ remember)then back to the left to avoid the oncoming flasher. Totally amazed Scoobs just did what was asked of him - no that's no fair he did better, without question the instantaneous pin point accuracy and response from the steering left me dumbfounded. "How the hell did I miss them????"

What can I say, may be thank God that Subaru make the best cars around!

But the moral to the tale , well , sometimes it's better to hang back and not overtake even when all appears to be ok , because you can never rely on other people NOT TO DO the most stupid of things!!

I bet the driver of the Merc had to change underwear though!!

Cheers and take care out there!

Howie

[This message has been edited by H@work (edited 04-02-2000).]

Old 04 February 2000, 04:37 PM
Orville
Scooby Regular

Glad you and the Scoob are ok. If there had been an accident you could have blamed nobody but yourself. It is not wrong for someone to pull "slowly" into their drive, but evryone should check (and double check) the roads are completely clear ahead before overtaking. I must admit to having lapses of judgement in the past where I have just managed to avoid accidents. The secret is to learn from them and don't get caught out in the future.
Old 04 February 2000, 04:53 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

H@work.

A few times now my Scooby has "saved" me & I have come away thinking "if it wasn't for this car I would have ended up in hospital (or worse)
All times except one wasn't my fault (lapse of concentration)
One time a car pulled out of a driveway about 10 feet infront of me - no time to brake I went round (into oncoming traffic) luckily I was in the right gear & zipped past but had I been in anything slower or not so great handling I would have ended up in a hedge or in the radiator of the oncoming car.
What I find amazing is that the faster/more you push these cars the better they go which is not really such a good thing as this can lead to getting yourself into situations where you just think that the car will get you out of trouble - not good.
Now I realise why people say the limits of the Impreza are too high for road use.

Glad you are OK.
Old 04 February 2000, 05:22 PM
H@work
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Guys,
Thanks for the replies, yep I do admit that it was my fault, even though the road was clear ahead, generally the car that is overtaking is in the wrong if an accident is caused. Do n't get me wrong I'm not a mad boy racer. It was just one of those "lapses" or bad judgements, like you both say "better to live and learn than crash and burn".

NB. The offending Merc was n't pulling into the driveway slowly he'd parked up with his **** end jutting out into the road some 6-8ft because he could n't go any further. He should have parked up on the verge off the road whilst he sorted his gate problem out and not obstucting the highway, IMHO

cheers
H

Old 04 February 2000, 06:28 PM
H@work
Scooby Regular

Talking

Guys, the closest of all shaves was last August. Travelling down the main road thru' Bredbury Stockport I noticed "white van man" parked on the double yellows on the opposite side of the road facing up the road. He'd just finished loading a shed load of 2 by 4 planks onto the back of his Ford Transit Pickup (yes it was white too!), he jumps in the cab, starts up and pulls straight off the high kerb and swings out onto the road, just as I'm approaching in Scoobs from the other way, as soon as he drops off the kerb his unsecured load decides to swing out off the back of his pickup right out into the middle of the road, I swerve to the left, to miss the fast approaching timber, misses me (just) and dumps itself all over the main road a few feet behind me. Now that was ooo soo close - I tell ya I wasn't happy - the timber would n't have been the only thing white van man was picking up off the road if it had hit me!!! That would have been a classic for "Police Camera Action"

Nuff said heh!

H