Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

plasma or lcd please?

Search this Thread

Old 26 January 2006, 06:39 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plasma or lcd please?

just got an x box 360 so im now after a hd tv to go with it. looking at 42" or something like that. is it right that plasmas are better than lcd and if so why?
could anyone recomend me one that will work well with my 360 ( read somewhere that samsung connect well with them ).
looking to spend between £1000 and £1500
cheers leon.
Old 26 January 2006, 06:45 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

i dont think you can get a proper high definition plasma tv for that price, but you can get a smaler lcd one i got one from Dell and its looks pretty good and has loads of conectivity plus it can be used as a pc monitor as well
Old 26 January 2006, 06:49 PM
RobHardy
Scooby Regular

lcd are getting better now. they are catching plasma. you also need a strong wall for a plasma. there very very heavy.bit close to call atm. but as both advance. lcd will/should rule.
Old 26 January 2006, 07:02 PM
wrxsandy
Scooby Newbie

Plasma screens start to deteriorate from the moment they are made. LCDs last indefinately. Something to bare in my mind i think. I've just bought a LCD and am more than happy with it.
Sandy
Old 26 January 2006, 07:04 PM
JonesyWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just bought a 40" Sony LCD.
Definately the way to go....
Old 26 January 2006, 07:06 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

so will an lcd have as good picture quality with my 360 as a plasma? anyone know of a decent 42" lcd in that price range?
Old 26 January 2006, 07:19 PM
MicaLee
Scooby Regular

I just bought a 32" LCD High Definition. Looked into these alot, LCD / Plasma and LCD came out on top. Plasma's require a high power processor to allow the screen to refresh at such a speed that the picture keeps up with the sound. They also run at higher temperatures and logo's in the corner of the screen can at sometimes damage the screen as the heat from the bulbs which make up the screen picture are constantly on.

I bought an LG, which i got for £850 from here http://www.247electrical.co.uk/epage...247&source=KDP

and is currently being sold in Comet / Currys etc for £999. Its excellent, good sound and superb picture.

Something else to bear in mind, in the shops, the pictures look crap, 1. because your stood right up close to them as they are all crammed in and 2. because the tv's are all running of one tv signal which is split amongst around 50 tvs. Our 32" looked small in the shop but once home, its massive. You dont want to be sitting to close to these Plasmas or LCDs because of this.

If you have seen in Currys the HDTV's running High Definition, its amazing.

Hope this helps

Lee
Old 26 January 2006, 07:23 PM
nik52wrx
Scooby Regular

Default LCD

Everything i have read or been told suggests LCD is the way to go, especially for durability. As somebody has already said, plasmas are on the way out the minute you turn them on.
Old 26 January 2006, 07:26 PM
BrynO
Scooby Regular

Try these guys, good prices, plasmas, LCD's, mounts etc..

http://www.flattelly.co.uk/
Old 26 January 2006, 07:29 PM
captain ted
Scooby Regular

Worth a look here.

http://www.avforums.com/index.php

The debate will rage on indefinately!

Ted.
Old 26 January 2006, 07:53 PM
mk type R
Scooby Regular

Depends on how long you are gona keep your tv for durability,
if like me a gaget freak cant see your self having 1 tv for longer than 5 years then dont see what the worry is with plasmas. they are better fact! dont last as long, true! but can be watched for 8 hours a day for 10 years with no sign of problems. just need to invest in a good 1.
i.e http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...onomy_id=62-63
won best plasma @ what plasma for 2006
got one comming tomorrow

Best lcd to get for the money is the samsung one defo, happy shopping, spent long enough searching myself,

still waiting for my xbox 360, ordered on 17th october 05 with amazon. supposed to get today (Wan**rs)

Where did u get yours??? (lucky chap)
Old 26 January 2006, 08:01 PM
leonski
Scooby Regular

nipped into my local tesco (rossendale) for lottery and there they were near the cds and stuff, so out i went with my premium 360. result! I do like the pioneers but the ones ive seen have been too expensive.
Old 26 January 2006, 08:08 PM
mk type R
Scooby Regular

Have seen and played with my sisters Samsung LCD, its sexy and would defo advise you in that direction .
Have a look on here, they are cheap and offer 6 months nothing to pay
http://www.webelectricals.co.uk/eStore/

good luck
Old 26 January 2006, 08:26 PM
addy
Scooby Regular

Looked around for for not long ago and it seems if you don't spend over £3000 for a plasma don't bother buying one so i have been told
Old 26 January 2006, 09:09 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

recently bought a 32" Sharp LCD, fantastic picture quality
Old 26 January 2006, 09:56 PM
robsw
Scooby Regular

Just make sure you get an HDTV ready one (High Definition).
Old 26 January 2006, 10:03 PM
T123VOR
Scooby Regular

Ive got a 42inch plasma (LG) ₤1500 for my 360- you will cream yourself with how real games look- project gotham and fifa are amazing

You will not be disappointed

Enjoy!!
Old 26 January 2006, 10:14 PM
Fur
Scooby Regular

if you are looking at a small - medium size screen LCD are better, if you want a large screen Plasma are better
Old 26 January 2006, 10:36 PM
Fur
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mk type R
Depends on how long you are gona keep your tv for durability,
if like me a gaget freak cant see your self having 1 tv for longer than 5 years then dont see what the worry is with plasmas. they are better fact! dont last as long, true! but can be watched for 8 hours a day for 10 years with no sign of problems. just need to invest in a good 1.
i.e http://www.pioneer.co.uk/uk/product_...onomy_id=62-63
won best plasma @ what plasma for 2006
got one comming tomorrow

Best lcd to get for the money is the samsung one defo, happy shopping, spent long enough searching myself,

still waiting for my xbox 360, ordered on 17th october 05 with amazon. supposed to get today (Wan**rs)

Where did u get yours??? (lucky chap)
how much did you pay MK and where from m8?
Old 26 January 2006, 10:46 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by addy
Looked around for for not long ago and it seems if you don't spend over £3000 for a plasma don't bother buying one so i have been told
Rubbish, dont know where you heard that but its utter tosh, we spent £2000 a year ago on our Plasma and its a brilliant picture IMO. nothing wrong with it, you can buy the same telly now for something like £1200 and its still up there with the good plasmas. Id suggest look at a Panasonic or a Pioneer if thats the route your going, LCD has to be Samsung.
Old 27 January 2006, 01:28 AM
bighead
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Panasonic Viera for Plasma
Old 27 January 2006, 09:25 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by bighead
Panasonic Viera for Plasma
hit the nail on the head, thats ours, only the Pioneer is better IMO
Old 27 January 2006, 10:31 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
LCD has to be Samsung.
Says who? I picked up a copy of the What Hi-Fi home cinema awards edition a bit before Christmas as my Dad was looking for some new AV kit. They rave about the Philips 32" LCD with Pixel+ and gave it the best LCD award. This one: http://www.consumer.philips.com/cons...ESHQNHKFSEKI5P

Haven't seen one in action but if I were buying a HD ready 32" LCD it would be the first one I would want demo'd.
Old 27 January 2006, 10:46 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Says me, its my opinion, isnt that what the thread asks for? peoples opinons and knowledge. What friggin Hi Fi is a load of tosh. Ohhh this is the best available on the market, til next month when they review something else and thats best value for money until a month later when you can buy this and it'll comfortably compete with the best on the market at a fraction of the price.....

Only way of knowing whats what is go and look for yourself at a proper dealership, NOT currys, NOT dixons, NOT comet....
Old 27 January 2006, 11:05 AM
Neil W
Scooby Regular

Bought a Sony Bravia V40 LCD 2 weeks ago and got a free DVD recorder as part of the deal.

TV is awesome and has had very good reviews.
Old 27 January 2006, 11:18 AM
blip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
recently bought a 32" Sharp LCD, fantastic picture quality
Just out of interest was it this one - LC-32GA6E?

I bought one and a progressive scan Samsung DVD player because of the claims about picture quality. I find that when watching DVDs there is a noticeable 'canvas' type texture visible across the picture. Most noticeable when the scene shows an area of flat colour.

Have you noticed this (if you are running progressive scan DVDs)??
Old 27 January 2006, 11:41 AM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Can someone please tell me the reason why the Samsung LE40R51BX is £350 cheaper than the Samsung LE40M51B

the specs seem the same?
Old 27 January 2006, 11:45 AM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Says me, its my opinion, isnt that what the thread asks for? peoples opinons and knowledge. What friggin Hi Fi is a load of tosh. Ohhh this is the best available on the market, til next month when they review something else and thats best value for money until a month later when you can buy this and it'll comfortably compete with the best on the market at a fraction of the price.....

Only way of knowing whats what is go and look for yourself at a proper dealership, NOT currys, NOT dixons, NOT comet....
Hey calm down matey, no offence meant by it Just saying that the Philips would be high on my list of LCDs to look at, and as no one had mentioned it I thought I would. I just use What Hi-Fi et-al as a reference as I do have a little bit of confidence that they know what they're talking about, but what is good for them may not necessarily be good for you. Yes you need a shortlist and then try and find a proper hi-fi seller where you can look at them side by side. Hi-Fi, AV, etc. its all a bit subjective. What's good to someones ears, eyes, movie and musical tastes may not necessarily be good to someone elses. At the end of the day it's your hard earned you are spending on the kit so it has to be a near to perfection to your ears/eyes as you can get on the budget you have
Old 27 January 2006, 12:12 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Calm as the local swimming pool here seriously though What Hi Fi wouldnt recommend something poor but every month they have a new "the best on the market" headline. they do take cash to write certain things IMO. Although what they do review is generally good you can only make your own mind up with your own Peripherals (Quoted from:The 40 yr old Virgin...lol)
Old 27 January 2006, 02:05 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

If you can hang on a few months Toshiba/Canon are gonne seriously upset the apple cart and plough plasma and LCD into the ground. SED (Surface conductor Electron emission Display) as feature in here and here will be hitting the market in the middle of this year. Screen sizes will start at 55", but smaller and bigger will follow soon after. 1080p/i will be the norm, but higher resolution is perfectly feasible, but the main benefit is the contrast ratio's. The demo sets in the article I have posted were early prototypes running 720p res on 37" screens, but with a CR of 10,000/1, which already makes LCD and Plasma's 3000/1 seem pretty poor. Production units are expected to hit 100,000/1

The image below is of screens of all 3 types showing a completely black image, taken with a 1s exposure set to 400ASA...

...as you can see, the LCD and Plasma cannot really do black, at all. The effect of this can clearly be seen, even in these quite poor digital camera pictures in the screen images below...

I will certainly be holding back, mainly 'cos I can't afford a 43" Pioneer plasma yet but if these hit the streets in the expected time frame then they promise to be outstanding. OLED is still several years away so this is sure to be the next major evolution in home entertaiment.

Quick Reply: plasma or lcd please?