Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Credit card fraud, finally happened after 10 years!!

Search this Thread

Old 24 January 2006, 11:08 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Credit card fraud, finally happened after 10 years!!

Why cant the little ******* of this country get a job and earn money rather than robbing normal folk!!

Had credit cards for over 10 years now, and never had any problems - really carefull what I do with them, and only use reputable websites for buying such as Ebuyer, Play etc.

Just had a call from Capital One - some **** spent £935 on car audio/security products last night in Sheffield on my card and the address match didnt come up. They had all my other details - password, DOB etc but tried to send it out to another address which alerted Cap One, so good on CO for spotting it, although they did put the transaction through for some reason.

Its such a ballache know though as my card is cancelled, and will take 7-10 days to re-instate, main problem being eBuyer are due to refund me £250 back onto that card. The car audio shop also lose their takings.

Not sure where they have got my details from, but coincidentally the shop is in Sheffield (as is eBuyer), and eBuyer have my card info at the minute for the above refund. May just be a coincedance though, i'm not accusing eBuyer of anything!!

Annoyed, but at least I wont lose the money, hopefully
Old 24 January 2006, 11:11 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Would contact Ebuyer also and explain situation, may be a rogue employee. However, when you say password do you mean PIN?
Old 24 January 2006, 01:52 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Not my PIN, just assume they have my account password for one of the sites I use which gave them all my details for DOB etc, or like you say its an inside job
Old 24 January 2006, 04:45 PM
Reality
BANNED

If you suspect eBuyer - tell Capital One - They'll get further than you. I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to stuff like this !

Maybe others have had problems with them ???

There was a restaurant round these parts that had two part time staff covering and they scammed £'000s from the locals.

as a result the restaurant is almost certainly going to close - general lack of confidence in them now
Old 24 January 2006, 05:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Just waiting for the fraud report form from Cap One and will fill it in with my suspicions.
Old 24 January 2006, 05:44 PM
Scooby Soon!
Scooby Regular

Something doesnt ring right on this, there is no way someone selling car audio equipment would send out an order to a different address then that of the cardholder. I deal with credit card orders every day and know how the checks work, I am pretty sure there is something fishy going on.

Capital one will refund the money back to you no problem, I have had at least a dozen seperate fraudulent transactions with one of there cards and they have always refunded it back to me, one of the best to deal with!
Old 24 January 2006, 06:01 PM
Brit_in_Japan
Scooby Regular

Are you 100% sure it was Capital One which rang you up? It might be worth finding their number from a statement or something and giving them a call to double check.

I have heard of cases where scammers have had most information needed to pull a scam but were missing some critical piece of information. By calling up and pretending to be from your bank etc they try to solicit the missing part of the jigsaw. Did they ask you all the correct security questions? Don't want to worry you, but these scammers are getting cleverer.
Old 24 January 2006, 06:12 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Now i'm worried

I'm as sure as I can be that it was Capital One, but even if not they didnt ask me anything that would compromise the card details, I dont think.

I'll soon find out I guess, but either way I should be covered against losses.
Old 24 January 2006, 06:25 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Just spoken to Capital One - it was a genuine call from them, and the account is now blocked, so we'll see where it goes from here.
Old 24 January 2006, 07:19 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Smile

I had my Maestro card done back in the summer to the tune of about £3000 before the ever so helpful HSBC decided to ring me and check. Took me over 2 weeks to get replacement cards.

Turned out it was a dodgy employee at a company who had my card details for a legitimate reason.

Captial One have phoned me a couple of times and it's always from a witheld number. If they ask for my security details I just tell them to **** off. They can phone me from a number I can verify if they're that desperate to speak to me!
Old 24 January 2006, 07:24 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

My boss had his HSBC card done over, he'd also bought from ebuyer...not that I'm suggesting owt, no way, allegedly

What I don't get is, his card had a 1k limit on it but the thieves spent well over that, how does that work?
Old 24 January 2006, 07:35 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

Happened to me recently:

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthread.php?t=483571

Call centres are a pain in the ****.
Old 24 January 2006, 07:39 PM
TDT
Scooby Regular

Coz if you go overlimit they can charge you ridiculous amounts of money!

Had that one as well......took them to the Ombudsman blokey and they wrote it off.

Can you tell I get the best service from financial institutions!
Old 24 January 2006, 07:59 PM
robby
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my capital One card used a couple of months ago.
I got a phone call about 4.30pm after missing several during the day from C1, they said someone had used my card (or number - didn't say if it was a cloned card) to pay £1500 to american Express??????????

they phoned just to check it wasn't genuine and when i said it wasn't me they cancelled the card straight away. I got a form to fill in and a new card within a week or so.

Glad they belived it wasn't me and insist on me paying it back.
Old 24 January 2006, 08:35 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

My other half fails to check his bank statements when they arrive, until this month (been skint after xmas) some money went out of his account so he looked at his statement.....

Dating back to October 05, transactions of various amounts and on different dates have been deducted from his account to something called paycom.net

Luckily the bank have put a stop on the card and have refunded the whopping over £300 lost in total!

I told him he should have a joint account with me as i go through my statements with a fine tooth comb!!
Old 24 January 2006, 08:37 PM
Enigma
Scooby Regular

Yeah right Saz I can just see Filfy falling for that one
Old 24 January 2006, 08:40 PM
SCOsazOBY
Scooby Senior

He is considering it now

Gold card winging its way to me
Old 24 January 2006, 09:20 PM
DanTheMan
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

My HSBC card got done over after buying from ebuyer and the scammers also bought from ebuyer with my card....
Old 24 January 2006, 10:44 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Hmm, seems to be a pattern building up here, always had great service from eBuyer as well :O
Old 03 February 2008, 11:31 PM
HD462
Scooby Newbie

Default Ebuyer still at it two years later, fraud that is!

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Why cant the little ******* of this country get a job and earn money rather than robbing normal folk!!

Had credit cards for over 10 years now, and never had any problems - really carefull what I do with them, and only use reputable websites for buying such as Ebuyer, Play etc.

Just had a call from Capital One - some **** spent £935 on car audio/security products last night in Sheffield on my card and the address match didnt come up. They had all my other details - password, DOB etc but tried to send it out to another address which alerted Cap One, so good on CO for spotting it, although they did put the transaction through for some reason.

Its such a ballache know though as my card is cancelled, and will take 7-10 days to re-instate, main problem being eBuyer are due to refund me £250 back onto that card. The car audio shop also lose their takings.

Not sure where they have got my details from, but coincidentally the shop is in Sheffield (as is eBuyer), and eBuyer have my card info at the minute for the above refund. May just be a coincedance though, i'm not accusing eBuyer of anything!!

Hi guys,

New member here, I have to say nothing to do with Subarus I'm afraid, but found this thread while searching Google for Ebuyer Card Fraud. I've just noticed on coming back to the forum after waiting for my confirmation email to be able to post, that this thread is two years old now. At first I thought it was new in the last week, as the date is so near. Anyway, I'll share my info with you just as a warning to others, seems they might still have the same dodgy employee. Just to warn others, it's still going on.

My card has just been done, three transactions totalling £550 on the 24th Jan 2008, which is why I thought your experience was similar. Just thought I'd post to back up that you're not the only one. I'm ultra careful with my card details too. Been to the bank who are investigating, contacted Police, who just said they'll get involved if the bank ask them to.

I made three online transactions in the last couple of weeks, all to what are commonly regarded as trustworthy, big name online retailers. The last was Ebuyer, which is the first time I've used them in just short of two years (mainly cos they're a lst resort because of their bad customer service reputation), the other two I've used regularly.

Bank seems to think it'll be somewhere I've used recently. On searching Google, Ebuyer comes up as a common denominator in card fraud posts, put "ebuyer card fraud" into Google, makes some interesting reading.

Not wanting to point the finger, but it all seems to point to Ebuyer having some dodgy staff who have access to peoples account info. No doubt it'll come out in the investigation, I'm going to keep pushing the bank.

Ebuyer = avoid at all costs.

Regards,
Mark.
Old 03 February 2008, 11:38 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

eBuyer left Sheffield years ago.
Old 04 February 2008, 03:49 AM
Lum
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
The post you quoted was written years ago.

In any case, card fraud is really really easy and chip and pin have actually made it a little easier, (just harder to prove it wasn't your fault). I dont want to post details of how it's done, but anyone with physical access to the machine with the card reader attached can easilly get your card details or insert/alter any transactions before they reach the bank. (think about that next time you buy petrol at some dodgy inner city petrol station late at night when the single cashier is completely unsupervised)
Old 04 February 2008, 08:51 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

:

I think you will find in most cases it is migrant workers/illegals/foreign organised gangs from asia and some from europe who are mostly commiting this kind of fraud. sounds not very pc i know but that is the case. often Poorly paid people often coerced into commiting the crime - remember Shell petrol stations had a big problem last year with this.

Having done some work with a well know credit card co on this i know this is the case.
a lot of card details are sent back to asia/europe (via the internet) for cards to be copied

my own card was copied in chinatown Manchester when i paid a bill a few years back.
Old 04 February 2008, 11:05 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
This was Jan 2006, and I'd just returned a monitor to eBuyer to their Sheffield address so at the time they were still there.

Funnily enough, I haven't bought anything from eBuyer since this issue, and I used to spend quite a bit each month with them.

Cap One were excellent by the way.
Old 04 February 2008, 04:37 PM
HD462
Scooby Newbie

Yeah guys you're right, as I said it was an old post, I noticed when I came back to post, after waiting for my authorisation email to post. Just the dates were similar so I thought it was still worth mentioning my case as it's so similar, so looks like it's still happening.

I didn't think it would happen to me, as I'm very security conscious, both online and where I need to put my card in a slot. When I told the guy in the bank the way I do things, he said "you must be our most security conscious customer, I don't even do half of what you do"...lol But, it can happen to anyone.

I agree with all the above about petrol stations etc, also paying over the phone, least secure of all, as you have to give your details to a person and trust them to only use them for your purchase. I used to know a guy who was involved with the development and testing of chip and pin before it went mainstream, and even he said it was flawed before it was released properly, but they were determined to release it, just to be seen to be doing something.

Keep up the good work with the Scoobys.
Old 04 February 2008, 06:15 PM
MrRA
Scooby Regular

Whenever I have had to speak to my bank or a card issuer on the phone they have never asked me for my password in full, only certain parts like the 3rd and 5th letter etc etc. Your genuine bank/card issuer will now your details and will never need to ask in full.