Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

A New Dog? Which one? SN Massif's Advice Required!

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2006, 09:56 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A New Dog? Which one? SN Massif's Advice Required!

Right, I know this might end up in the pantheon of strange threads, but I'm after some advice and I know there's many a dog lover on SN.

Situation: I'm not a dog lover, I'm a dog agnostic. No, I'm not a dyslexic who's confused about religion! What I mean is, I'm not a doggy person, yet I'm kinda thinking about getting a dog. My wife loves 'em, they've had one since she was nine, and their current Collie, Cerys, is fantastic and has altered my opinion on dogs as a whole.

Now, the thing is is that Cezzie is a very intelligent dog, and having met a few dumb ones belonging to friends, I know I wouldn't want a thick one! So, I'm after advice to find a dog that would fit my requirements! I'd like a dog that I could go out running with*, and ideally one who could run alongside whilst we're cycling/mountain biking. Oh, and short haired would prolly be better, from a mess perspective as well as reducing the risk of an allergic reaction (I'm fine with Cezzie but am alergic to house dust mites. Therefore cats are out, but cats are crap anyway.... )

I've seen people on here talk positively about Staffies, and I know my wife likes the idea of a lurcher - do either of them fit the bill?

I remember a while back seeing a link in an SN dog thread to a website that explained in detail the temprements/behaviour/exercise needs of all species of dog; can anyone supply the link?

TIA
Iain

*Yeah, yeah, anyone who knows me is laughing at this point, but I'm working on getting fit, and I'm looking to the future!!

Last edited by V5; 22 January 2006 at 04:04 AM.
Old 21 January 2006, 10:25 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

I have a Staffy. Best dogs in the world.

Mines a deep redish brown colour. Goes by the name "Ozzie"
Old 21 January 2006, 10:33 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I have a mate who's bitch has just had 9 dobherman (sp?) pups. They are excellent pedigree so won't be cheap, and will be a few weeks before they can leave their mum. Let me know if you want to be put in touch.
Old 21 January 2006, 11:02 PM
Johnny E
Scooby Regular

With most breeds you only get out of them what you put in.
If you want an intelligent dog you'll need plenty of patience training it.
Most dogs will fit into your lifestyle, start with small walks leading to longer walks and then on to running, but don't run with it whislt on the lead, if it stops for a pea break you'll either rip your arm out of its socket or break the dogs neck
Old 21 January 2006, 11:06 PM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

Alsatian. Mine had to be put to sleep just over a year ago - he was 12.

They are absolutely fantastic dogs - well mine was. As soft as a brush but made a damn good guard dog when the need arose.
Old 21 January 2006, 11:16 PM
Oldfella
Scooby Regular

You mention lurcher, rescue centres are full of them, often scruffy and not well cared for.
I've had several and without exception found them loyal and almost grateful friends.
Please give sharing your life with one some serious thought. I guarantee you will not be disappointed.
Old 21 January 2006, 11:17 PM
Ian_S
Scooby Regular

Stick with a collie then if you want something intelligent, i wouldnt get a staffy, (nowhere near as intelligent as a collie, and some can have poor temperaments) although all the staffy owners will now jump down my throat about how great their dogs are and how they arent chav dogs

I have 2 retrievers, both are very intelligent and won classes in agility and obedience(one of them 1st in each) and would recommend them, but Collies will generally be more intelligent, plus Retrievers shed a lot of hair.

Alsations are clever too but prone to hip problems and also shed a lot of hair.

Labs are another alternative, better on the hair front than the last 2 I mentioned and great family dogs too, but you might get a daft one, lots about, especially chocolate ones.
Old 22 January 2006, 12:36 AM
Mog
Scooby Regular

get a dobe everytime............

Mog
Old 22 January 2006, 12:49 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/ke...%20Guides.html

http://www.akc.org/breeds/index.cfm

http://www.petplanet.co.uk/dog_breed.asp
Old 22 January 2006, 01:01 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

A lurcher, I think, will require a lot of excercise, where as a staff probably won't be able to keep up with a mountain bike for too long, and they can be very anti other dogs, so if you're not experienced, you could find yourself in the middle of a few dust ups! Collies can try to be dominant over children with their natural instinct to herd.

Retrievers, Labs, Rottweilers and Alsatians are probably the smartest and easiest to train, IMO. The Rhodesian Ridgeback has short hair, is very intelligent and likes to bound along for miles.

If you are dog "agnostic" be prepared for a lot of hard work the first few months, and you will need endless paitence!

I had a retriever from a puppy when I was 15, so my Mum did most of the hard work. I've just got myself two Rottweiler puppies, (I spent two months looking through the net and books deciding on the best breed for me - protective, not too energetic, easy to train and intelligent, friendly and paitent) It's hard work, but well worth it! Don't mean to be patronising, but you'll be mopping and sweeping up for the next three months at least! They need a lot of attention and commitment and you'll need to be at home most of the time whilst they're young.

I recommend dog ownership to anyone - think of it as having a baby and you're not far off!

Also, whatever you get, long runs are bad for dogs before they are matured and can lead to joint problems.

Last edited by 2000TLondon; 22 January 2006 at 01:05 AM.
Old 22 January 2006, 01:20 AM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Crazy chick
Alsatian. ...... They are absolutely fantastic dogs - well mine was. As soft as a brush but made a damn good guard dog when the need arose.
I agree with that. Rough collies are good too. But don't go for a lurcher unless you know what to expect - they can be a bit 'difficult' especially if they've been trained right
Old 22 January 2006, 04:59 AM
V5
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies!
Originally Posted by Johnny E
With most breeds you only get out of them what you put in.
That's what Jennie's always said in response to my previous comments about not getting a dog cos how would we know that it's gonna be as lovely as Cezzie. Jennie was fully involved in training/looking after Cezzie, so she knows what a puppy is like.

Originally Posted by 2000TLondon
...long runs...
You've not met me have you?!

It's hard work, but well worth it! Don't mean to be patronising, but you'll be mopping and sweeping up for the next three months at least! They need a lot of attention and commitment and you'll need to be at home most of the time whilst they're young.
Yeah, resigning myself to the pooey aspect though I'll let Jennie do the day to day clearing! I have a fair level of flexibility with my working hours, am able to work from home, and a colleague has previously done a sort of split shift to look after his puppy, so I think we'll be ok on that front.

Cheers for the links, will have a read through them. I found the one I'd seen previously (Dog Breed Info) and that has a handy page grouping dogs in certain categories.

Plenty more research required!
Old 22 January 2006, 05:09 AM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I based part of my decision for the Rottweilers on them not being too energetic, and not needing too much excercise!!!

Keep us updated!
Old 22 January 2006, 07:32 AM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Smile

Good Luck with your search may be worth going to Crufts when you have your short list on the day that the types of dogs your interested in are there. Also at Crufts is a section called discover dogs where almost all the breeds you can think of are represented with 1-5 examples and their owners!

These people can give you honest advice on exercise and grooming, hereditary problems like hip displasar as they live with the dog’s day in and out. It is worth asking them if they live in the house or out in kennels and how many they own how big there garden is and how often and when they walk so to see if you life style matches what the dog needs, e.g. if it needs 5 miles before breakfast and always come backs muddy it isn’t right for a person who gets up just before they leave for work everyday and is house proud! Is it best kept on its own (no good for you then) or does it like being in a family with other dogs, that sort of thing.

As to the running most medium to large breeds suggest very limited exercise up to 6 months and no going up and down stairs (if you live in a first floor flat you carry it up and down to the garden for the first 6 months 15 times a day) and limited up to the age 12-18 months on things like jogging on pavements for long distances or jumping.

As to bright yes well we all think that are dogs are bright depends what you want it to do and as said before how much time you want to invest in the training. One thing I would say is if you get a bright dog or a breed that is use to working like a Springer spaniel or Collie if you don’t keeps it brain occupied then it will find its own entertainment like you kitchen cabinets or favourite TV remote and this is a lot worse with a puppy than a mature dog as said before think you getting a baby and child proof the house put baby gates on the stairs etc and be prepared for no rest for a few weeks because as fast as you clean up one puddle it will do another  and your existing dog will want more attention so as not to feel left out 

One thing I would suggest is an indoor pen or crate for when you leave the puppy unsupervised and bed time it limits what damage it can do and stops it annoying the existing dog leave the door open when your around and if the puppy wants peace and quiet it will go in there out of the way on its own as well.

Good Luck
Old 22 January 2006, 08:52 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

i have two lurchers (and an english bull terrier)

Lurchers are the best dogs i have ever had bar a mile....

They keep up with me on a fast off road bike ride, easily keep up on a jog!

They have little interest in life apart from running and sleeping...they live in the utility room and are quite happy there.

They have no interest in children which is great, they just keep out of the kids way (not bothered if the kids do want to play with them)

Never bark or whine - silent dogs!

Sleep a lot - if they are run they will sleep all day.

Dont do that stupid over excited nonsense when visitors come round- if the visitor isnt taking them out running they dont give a toss whos here!

All round a very low maintenance dog (as long as they have somewhere to run) and very healthy- they have none of the problems that go with "proper breeds" and have NEVER been to vet for illness (went once as one ran into thorn bush and sliced his shoulder open - one staple and home, no wimper)

Oh....and they have never been trained- and never needed to be. They know 3 commands....COME HERE, GET OUT and WALKIES - if i wanted better than that i would have bought a chimp.

T

ps- in contrast the bull terrier is a slow, attention seeking, noisey, stupid, over interested in everything, pain in the **** - i have taken him out running in the hope he would have a heart attack but he just seems to sit on his **** when he's knackered.

Last edited by Tiggs; 22 January 2006 at 09:00 AM.
Old 22 January 2006, 09:17 AM
ScoobLou
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend getting a collie cross labrador. But make sure it has more collie in than the labrador. My parents have one and she is the best dog ever. Very intelligent and believe it not they have never had to clear up dog ****! They live in the country and she always does it off their land or right up in the hedges. Shes not a greedy dog and her dried food is down for her to have all day. She is now 12 and still picks up new tricks. Be warned though, in her younger days she needed loads of exercise and I mean loads. Another good thing is she is short haired.

If you put the time and effort in when they are a puppy you will end up with such a lovely loyal dog.
Old 22 January 2006, 09:34 AM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

I've just got myself two Rottweiler puppies, (I spent two months looking through the net and books deciding on the best breed for me - protective, not too energetic, easy to train and intelligent, friendly and paitent) It's hard work, but well worth it! Don't mean to be patronising, but you'll be mopping and sweeping up for the next three months at least! They need a lot of attention and commitment and you'll need to be at home most of the time whilst they're young.

I recommend dog ownership to anyone - think of it as having a baby and you're not far off!

Also, whatever you get, long runs are bad for dogs before they are matured and can lead to joint problems.
well said

I also have a rottie, he is VERY clever and very loyal, and most importantly very loving!

we have had him 8 months now, and we have loved every minute as he is such a character

our baby daughter is 7 weeks old, and he goes upto her every so often looks her over, licks her head then guards her

I would highly recommend a rottie to anyone, as long as you have the time and patience for one

tyson

Old 22 January 2006, 09:59 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Apparently greyhounds make excellent pets.

You can get old racing one's that are past their fastest days from rescue centres
Old 22 January 2006, 10:48 AM
PeteT
Scooby Regular

I agree with Adrian F, I think there is far too much emphasis put on how 'intelligent' a dog is. If you only want it for a pet, a dog needs to know 3 basic commands- 'come here' (the most important), 'sit/lie down', and 'stay'. If you can get your dog to do these in all circumstances you will have a dog that is a pleasure to own and better trained than 90% of dogs out there. If you start from a puppy and work at it there isn't a breed of dog that can't be trained to that standard.
Rather than getting bogged down in a canine IQ contest you should pick a dog who's character matches yours. If you're an all action hero who's on the go all the time by all means get a Springer spaniel or a 'working' border collie but if you're a bit of a lazy sod like me, get a more laid back dog (I have a whippet).
Oh and the idea that running dogs (lurchers, greyhounds, whippets etc) need loads of excercise isn't true, half an hour in the morning and the same at night is plenty, the rest of the time they sleep!
An 'intelligent' breed that doesn't get enough mental stimulation or excersise will wreck your house!
My advice? Rescue a lurcher (but watch it with cats!)

Tiggs, your description of the bull terrier fits my sister's one to a tee
Old 22 January 2006, 12:23 PM
V5
Scooby Regular

Thanks again for all the info.

I think my focus on doggy intelligence comes from my limited exposure to dogs. On the one hand you have Cezzie who is very clever and obedient, and on the other there's a mate of mine who has a little terrier type thing that seems perpetually out of control! So, I'll not worry too much about that.

It does seem that a Lurcher has made it's way to the top of the list! We've been looking around the Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue website and even I would have to say that there are some cuties on there! I do like the idea, as described by Tiggs, that they can be easy to look after, run a long time if you want, or just have shorter daily walks if needs be. I did like the quote on that site:
quite often known as a 45 mile an hour couch potato
Old 22 January 2006, 01:40 PM
stormyuklondon1
Scooby Regular

ive had a rhodesian ridgeback bitch for just over a year, i dont think i'd have any other breed now! very intelligent, loads of energy, fantastic with other dogs and kids, wary of any strangers that come to the door, and very protective of my family, but not in a vicious way. wonderful breed, highly recommened

Old 22 January 2006, 03:16 PM
Oldfella
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by V5
Thanks again for all the info.

It does seem that a Lurcher has made it's way to the top of the list! We've been looking around the Evesham Greyhound and Lurcher Rescue website and even I would have to say that there are some cuties on there! I do like the idea, as described by Tiggs, that they can be easy to look after, run a long time if you want, or just have shorter daily walks if needs be. I did like the quote on that site:
Great news, Tiggs is spot on with the description. "Lurcher" is a very broad term, they come in many different sizes from a Bedlington x Whippet right up to Deerhound/Wolfhound x Greyhound which is a rather large beast.
My personal favorite was a Suluki x Greyhound that I owned until she died.

Best of luck
Old 22 January 2006, 03:29 PM
***scoobybabe***
Scooby Regular

Whatever you do, DONT get a boxer.....yes, he would keep up with you on the mountain bike, he'd prolly still be running when you've given up, theyre lovable, loyal, but....they eat everything in sight!!! Boss, our 12 month old, has eaten through 2 dining room tables, 2 fences, 1 sofa, 3 door frames, 3 washing lines, 1 cat, and recently nearly electrocuted himself when swinging from the outside light cable, still attatched to the light.

Alot of commitment, and money would be needed!
We do love him though
Old 22 January 2006, 03:40 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Agree with the above although our first Boxer only chewed the door frame, and the cheapo floor.
How can you resist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55...9/Dscf0109.jpg

This is our second pup Ellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 22 January 2006, 03:45 PM
***scoobybabe***
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scoob99
Agree with the above although our first Boxer only chewed the door frame, and the cheapo floor.
How can you resist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y55...9/Dscf0109.jpg

This is our second pup Ellie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You cant resist, thats the problem!
He drives me around the bend, and its like having a naughty child living with you!
He gets walked twice a day, and we've even had to employ a dog sitter to look after him when we are both in work and still he chews and completely disembles everything within reach
I beleive they get better as they get older....?
Old 22 January 2006, 04:03 PM
Simes777
Scooby Regular

Another vote for Greyhounds / Lurchers here.

I've currently got 2 Greyhounds and everything Tiggs said is right. Most people shy away because they think that they need loads of exercise, but my 2 are just about as lazy as they come. But when they decide to chase something, they don't half move.

The best dog I've ever had was a Greyhound / Deerhound Cross Lurcher - used to bring in his dinner bowl at 6:00pm every night to remind you to feed him

Simes
Old 22 January 2006, 04:17 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ***scoobybabe***
Whatever you do, DONT get a boxer.....yes, he would keep up with you on the mountain bike, he'd prolly still be running when you've given up, theyre lovable, loyal, but....they eat everything in sight!!! Boss, our 12 month old, has eaten through 2 dining room tables, 2 fences, 1 sofa, 3 door frames, 3 washing lines, 1 cat, and recently nearly electrocuted himself when swinging from the outside light cable, still attatched to the light.

We do love him though
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y25...spain05034.jpg
That is such a cute picture, i'd love a boxer (even after your bad review ) but i'm just not home enough to look after one
Old 22 January 2006, 04:18 PM
Adidas
Scooby Regular

Smile

Originally Posted by ***scoobybabe***

We do love him though
Sorry, got to disagree. Not all are like that. My one was a little 'chewie' at first but only when he was a pup. Within a few weeks he had loads of toys which drew his attention away from furniture.

Would recommend a Boxer everytime

BTW, Scoobybabe, he's a good looking fella . I soooo miss my one though
Old 22 January 2006, 04:25 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Here's another biased Dobermann vote

Quick Reply: A New Dog? Which one? SN Massif's Advice Required!