Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Week away where to go

Search this Thread

Old 21 January 2006, 04:41 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Week away where to go

Going for a week holliday but not sure where to go as come places will be wet and miserable at this time of year. thinking

Venice
Tunisia
south africa
gran canaria

Would like a mix of things to see and a bit of piece and quiet and solitude.
Old 21 January 2006, 04:42 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

out of those, SA every time
Old 21 January 2006, 04:43 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Is it worth going for just one week though ?
Old 21 January 2006, 04:45 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

not to SA for the week.... go to one of the Canaries if its just a week..
Old 21 January 2006, 04:49 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

the flight may is twice as long as canaries, but you won't have to worry about jetlag, which is the main reason not to go far for less than a fortnight, i think...... if you get night flights, think it'll be worth it.....
Old 21 January 2006, 05:09 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

SA seems to be winning so far hope the weather is good
Old 21 January 2006, 05:43 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

SA is a fantastic place, but you do need to remember to be careful in some areas.

When driving at night DONT stop at red traffic lights, and dont walk around camcorder in hand, jewelery on show etc!!
Old 21 January 2006, 06:19 PM
Julz1983
Scooby Regular

South Africa is great but you need more than a week, my mam's cousin lives in Johannesburg and everyone who has been across on holiday to see her has went for no less than 3-4 weeks and have still come home saying they needed longer. I would choose somewhere thats only a couple of hours or so flight time as you arent going to get jet lag, because it only takes a few hours flying then it will feel like a week you have, if you go somewhere like SA you have a really long flight and usually have to change, you have minging jet lag and you'll end up only being able to do things for say a couple of days before you have to turn round and come home.
Old 21 January 2006, 06:30 PM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Cape Town and then go right down to the nature reserve at the most southern point for solitude. Enjoy the wine and food in the evenings at some super hotel.

La Digue Island, Seychelles, for total chill out.
Old 21 January 2006, 06:37 PM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

South Africa only has about a 2 hour time difference i think therefore no actual jet lag, however the flight is about 8 hours so depends on how well you travel.

I travelled round Southern Africa when I was 19 and it is an amazing place, too much to do in a week but it will be a very different week compared to the others on your list (Tunisia less so depending on what you plan)

It is summer in SA at the moment Clifton Beach in Cape Town could be great but depends what you want from a holiday. If its Hotels and sitting by a pool etc. then there are probably better places, if you want to get out and about (lots of unique things to do in SA) then you will be impressed. If you are after a single place to go then Cape Town is prob the best bet. If you do choose to go there let me know and i will give you some suggestions as to what to do!

Have a good time where ever you choose

Andy
Old 21 January 2006, 10:37 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

Cape town is the likely place and I want a few days to relax then off to see some waterfalls mountains etc. Usually I like to travel backpacker style but I will be going with my girlfriend who does not really like to ruff it.
Can you get a hotel room easily or do you have to book in advance. I would be very interested in finding out what you did there and what the best areas are.
Old 22 January 2006, 12:33 AM
106rallye
Scooby Regular

I only stayed in backpackers so am unsure about the more upmarket hotels! The Victoria and Alfred Waterfront has some good ones apparantly so could be a good place to start.

There is so much to do I don't know where to start! - its been a while since I was there so hope its still accurate

Table mountain is worth a visit lots of different ways up and down depending on how energetic you are feeling! If its clear then get up there asap don't bank on it being clear later on in the week

Robben Island - Where Nelson Mandella was held prisoner - see if you can get on a later trip as the view of cape town at dusk is amazing.

Stellenboch - lots of great vinyards and wine tasting trip is a must!
Cape of good hope nature reserve - including cape point
Sundowners at La Med
drinking in the Fez bar

If you want to travel further afield then Cape Town is on the beginning of the garden route - basically a well trodden path along the south coast of SA Google will be able to tell you far more about it than I could on here!

The list goes on and on!

http://www.capetowntravel.com/ seems to cover the better hotels and some of the things to do there

If I think of anything else important that I missed then I will add some more

You have to be on top of safety so make sure you take local advice about where to go etc (just common sense really) and get taxis everywhere after dark (and some places during the day) and you should have a great time

If you do choose to go there make sure you take loads of pics and post them on here so I can get jealous!

Andy
Old 22 January 2006, 08:08 PM
lucylastic
Scooby Regular

What about Egypt? Only a 5 hour flight, great weather, amazing sights, stunning beaches - I'm going back for the 3rd time in a couple of weeks
Old 22 January 2006, 08:11 PM
wakeboardar
Scooby Regular

thailand
Old 22 January 2006, 08:34 PM
Robbie T
Scooby Regular

Been to Tunisia, weather was gorgeous (if you like it really hot) but there was nothing outside the hotel where we stayed (Hammemet).

Went to Egypt last year, weather is similar to Tunisia i.e hot as ****!
The people are more friendly than in Tunisia as well, definitely worth considering.