Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Italy for the Hols....

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2006, 06:08 PM
R4CH4EL
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Italy for the Hols....

Anyone been to Italy for their Hols before?
Thinking of going this year whats it like? Where's best?
Old 12 January 2006, 06:34 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Was in Italy in 1989 for 10 nights, stayed in Sorrento, was lovely Not sure what it's like now, but I've heard it mentioned by a few people as still being rather nice.

Depends what you're looking for really. Sorrento was by the sea (from what I remember) and was fairly quiet. You could go to Rome if you wanted, will have lots of nightlife and other such trappings of a large city.
Old 12 January 2006, 07:29 PM
pauly
Scooby Regular

if your going to milan a weekend is long enough.
i took the mrs shopping there for a long weekend, after day 2 i wanted to come home, could have been coz she wiped my cards out though
hired a car 2..... don't bother in the towns, the drivers are complete fekkin loons and the cyclists are even worse.
i love italy. the food is gorgeous so are the women (mostly) and it's fekkin hot.
Old 12 January 2006, 08:00 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Last summer I went to San Remo and Genoa - both places on the coast.

San Remo was quite nice - very Italian feel to the place, some nice shops and the place wasnt too big. Having just come from the south of France however I would say that was better.

Also went to Genoa, which I probably wouldnt recommend that. The place is a port, and although there were some nice parts to the city, there seemed to be very little going on in the evenings. Good for shopping however!

Heres a pic as we left Genoa city centre;
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v610/Pete95/genoa.jpg

Last edited by Petem95; 12 January 2006 at 08:06 PM.
Old 12 January 2006, 08:05 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Which hols, Easter or Summer ?

In the summer some places are pretty hot, I'd stick to Northern Italy then. At Easter the middle bit or further south is good - Rome is a nice place to visit as a city break, and as mentioned above Sorrento and the Amalfi Coast is lovely.

Depends what you are looking for I suppose, the food and wine are great, the arts and museums are great, the ice cream is fantastic.

Some places like Florence and Venice are very touristy, but then people go there because of what those places are like - personally I love Venice, keep meaning to go there in the winter (those who've seen the file Don't Look Now will know what I mean, leaving aside the part about being murdered of course !)
Old 12 January 2006, 08:28 PM
ChrisB

Last summer, we did:

Week in Tuscany
Five nights Sirmione (Lake Garda)
Two nights Venice

Loved Tuscany to bits. We stayed in a big farm house that had seven (IIRC) self catering apartments, with the owners still living in the other half. Private pool, olive groves, BBQs for you to use - wonderfull. The quality of the fresh fruit and veg food from the local Co-op was amazing. None of this pay extra for "Taste the Difference" or "Finest" products

Looking through the gardens to the pool:

Sirmione was heaving at the weekend, though we had the most fantastic weather. One night we went to the opera in Verona which was an amazing experience. Even if you're not an opera fan (like me), it's something to witness and soak up once. Some fantastic walking to be had on Monte Baldo and the other hills above Malcesine.

Hired a car for the first week in Tuscany, which I would say is essential if you stay out in the country like we did. Also means you can stop at the Ferrari musuem when heading up to Lake Garda Driving in Florence made Hyde Park Corner look like a walk in the park

Was all DIY - we flew with RyanAir and booked everything ourselves either direct for Tuscany or via Venere.com for Lake Garda and Venice.
Old 12 January 2006, 08:36 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

Ah yes.... the driving... !

We always hire a car and pay the extra few quid for the 'Waiver that covers all the things that the other Waivers don't cover' so everything is covered.

Then you can drive it, er, 'confidently' in Italian city traffic without having to worry. When in Rome, drive like the Romans... you can see where those chariots with swords on the hubs came from.
Old 12 January 2006, 09:14 PM
R4CH4EL
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advise guys some of the pics look realy nice!!!

Was thinking of going in the summer maybe August/September time.

Would like to see a bit of the culture and also hit the beaches, so was thinking about the south of Italy??
Old 12 January 2006, 09:36 PM
ricardo
Scooby Regular

What about the Italian Lakes ?
Old 12 January 2006, 09:46 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Been to Lake Garda area 3 times and I love it there, can get quite busy as it's so close to Germany that loads of them drive south for their hols.
Also stayed in Tuscany twice round the San Gimignano area, very nice too. Also Rome once : nicest Capital city I've been to and would go back which I wouldn't say of Paris, London or Amsterdam.
Really depends what you want from a holiday, Lake Garda area we have generally done without a hire car which cuts the cost a bit : good bus service around the lake taking you to all the nice little towns/villages for day trips plus there are decent boat trips across the lake and it's within reach of Venice and Verona. Venice too busy during summer, Verona a great city to visit.
Old 12 January 2006, 10:58 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Surely you want Imola in april?