Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

When did adverts on TV change........

Search this Thread

Old 12 January 2006, 12:50 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry When did adverts on TV change........

Just looking at the TV license thread, and comments about no adverts on the BBC, (well except for virtually the SAME amount of time spent advertising their own products.....), made me think.

I'm sure I remember, and not so long ago, that an hour program would have an advert break before it aired, one after 20 minutes or so, another after another 20 minutes or so, and finally one at the end after it finished and before the next show? Yes?

Now, a one hour prog has a break after about 8 minutes, one at about 20 mnutes, one at about 35 minutes and one after about 50 minutes, with one before it starts, and one after it ends too.
The breaks all seem to be longer too: they seem to go on for about 4 minutes, at least.

So when was the change? Who authorised it? And why?

Does anyone know?

Alcazar
Old 12 January 2006, 12:55 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

an hour long prog only has 3 breaks doesnt it? one every 15 minutes normally although the time is a bit **** eyed. Sure its only 3.

I remember hearing something last week about Lost. with it being an american program, something about they HAVE to have xx amount of timed breaks, but C4 cant go past a certain amount of minutes per break. Oh I cant remember exactly but it was on radio 1 explaining it but it wasnt interesting enough for me to remember it.
Old 12 January 2006, 12:56 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

believe its now up to 6 mins in any hour, it changed some time ago, i think it was due to all the free advertising the beeb give themselves,

and the beebs biggest two fingers too you all

they show the lottery, which is advertising a non beeb product.

once again a state run monopoly,

M
Old 12 January 2006, 12:56 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

Possibly due to imported American programmes - ones that are on for an hour are only about 45 mins long with the rest packed out with ads.
As for the reason why, well its obvious - more money !
Also has anyone noticed they whack the sound levels up when the ads come on ?
Old 12 January 2006, 12:58 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Question

Thought that was supposed to be illegal?

Anyone for a gizmo that mutes the TV if the volume suddenly comes up for no reason?

Alcazar
Old 12 January 2006, 12:58 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar
Who authorised it? And why?
Money grabbing *******s, to get more money. So ******* annoying, particularily the adverts 5mins into the programe, and 5mins before it's meant to finish.

The likes of ITV need to fund all their freeview channels. The BBC has guarantead licence fee money coming in, while the only way ITV can fund the extra channels is to get more revenue. ie. more adverts
Old 12 January 2006, 01:11 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by MJW
Possibly due to imported American programmes - ones that are on for an hour are only about 45 mins long with the rest packed out with ads.
As for the reason why, well its obvious - more money !
Not quite true,

what happens is a program is transmitted using a set amount of bandwidth, the broadcast sits within the centreline of the bandwith, and this allows for the program to be transmitted with allowance for bleedover so it dosent interfear with the adjacent bandwidth (next channel). all is hunky dory, however what the crafty tv companys do, which enables them to refute the volume increase claims, is when adverts come on, they increase the transmission load of the bandwith which allows the transmission to spread out and utilise the whole of the available bandwidth which gives a huge increase in the audio delivered. If I recall, they have owned up to doing this, but becasue the power of the transmission is not altered, its allowed.

I had a friendly radio bod back during the days of cb radios, who did the same to mine and his machine, instant boots with no hardware, as instread of transmitting down a 5khz channel with 2.5khz bleed over room on either side, we transmitted using the whole of the 10khz bandwidth, it used to wipe out other cbs nearby

mart

Mart
Old 12 January 2006, 01:12 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

Lost last night pi55ed me off big time , the 2nd prog started late after over 5 mins of crap adverts, then had about a 4min recap on what we have just watched, then 3 mins of the actual new prog then off to another ******* break
Old 12 January 2006, 01:19 PM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Do what we do - invested in Sky+, and we never watch anything 'live' (as it is broadcast). That way we 'flash' thru all the ad. breaks & can watch two half-hour prog's in about 45 mins.

Also no more of those crap BBC bits before the programs start - the bird twirling down a red curtain, the new-zealand-look rugby players doing their dance, the eejit's giving it all the martial-arts type moves out in the middle of nowhere and the two blokes dressed in white doing syncronised moves on a roof-top somewhere - what the hell is all that crap about!!!
Old 12 January 2006, 01:41 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

I heard recently that adverts will soon become a thing of the past. As we invest in technology which permits us to skip them and people mostly just switch over or go make a cup of tea, the EU has introduced new guidelines covering the use of product placement instead of the traditional ad break. Even the BBC will be allowed to do it, but don't expect the license fee to be reduced What I think will probably happen is that advertising prices in breaks will fall drastically and will be used by smaller companies, with the big players going for product placement. One major brewer (either Heineken or Carlsberg IIRC ) has already announced it will no longer use TV advertising as it gets little benefit, prefering to sponsor sport and events such as music festivals.

Agree with the complaints about ads within minutes of the start Last nights Lost (which I watched for the 1st time since the 3rd episode to see if anything actually did happen, which it didn't ) had an ad break before they'd even shown the opening credits
Old 12 January 2006, 01:54 PM
Bartop
Scooby Regular

Ads are more interesting than the majority of the pap that's on nowdays tbh..

Ice skating Z celebs - what the hell is that all about
Old 12 January 2006, 01:55 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

you cant moan about a show like LOST having adverts - its opening scene was one of the most expensive TV shows ever filmed...and you watched it for free.

T

ps- i have Sky+ so havent seen an ad in 2 years.
Old 12 January 2006, 03:15 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

I moved to the states in october and have just started to get used to the ads.

It's 6pm, The simpsons finsih. Advert. King of the Hill music starts. Opening credits. Adverts. Programme starts, maybe 5 or 6 minute segment. Advert. Then, in the middle of the adverts, King of the Hill logo reminding you you're watching King of the Hill. More adverts. Back to programme. Maybe 7 or 8 minutes. Adverts. Again, reminder that you're watching King of the Hill. Adverts. Back to programme. Fianl scene. Adverts. End credits. Adverts. Next show.

Think it's about nine or ten minutes of ads in any half an hour.....

Tivo (sky+) is essential here!