How fast is too fast?

Search this Thread

Old 11 January 2006, 03:00 PM
2000TLondon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is too fast?

Following on from the 156mph guy in the M3, how fast is really taking the
p1ss? I think 156mph with reduced concentration and one hand on the wheel is pretty stupid. I've got 153mph on the autobahn, but I wasn't making a phone call! I wouldn't dream of doing that speed in a speed restricted area.

So, assuming you're not on the telephone, what speeds are "acceptable" to you, and what speeds are horrifyingly stupid to you?

Also, are you likely to go faster on empty roads in conditions you deem "safe" if you knew the penalty was going to be a fine and not possible custodial?
Old 11 January 2006, 03:03 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

And remember people, before replying with your opinions, just think what is the top speed you have ever achieved on a public UK road.

I'm keeping quiet
Old 11 January 2006, 03:06 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

flat out on a yzf r1 (in Germany) dunno what speed I was doing - too scared to take my eyes off the road and the vibration and wind buffeting at 180ish are quite severe, so I doubt I would have seen the speedo anyway

Fastest ever on a UK road is 70...honest guv
Old 11 January 2006, 03:09 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Rally speaking the only "safe" place to use excessive speed is on the racetrack as on the public road you cannot judge what others are going to do or what will pull out unexpectedly.

Chip

P.S Fastest Ive been, 70mph of course
Old 11 January 2006, 03:12 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

For other people, in a performance car in good order, on a quiet motorway then i would not find 130or so in anyway shocking. If i had read that M3 story and he wasn't on the phone i would have thought bad luck he got caught and what a shame it was he didn't get off. Not at all unacceptable/shocking. Starts getting a bit silly higher than that tho.
Old 11 January 2006, 03:14 PM
LUCKO
Scooby Regular

how fast is too fast? i struggle to last 3 minutes these days
Old 11 January 2006, 03:23 PM
The Chief
Scooby Regular

The truth is the speed limit was introduced when someone decided to speedtest a tuned Shelby Cobra down the M1 at over 190mph - back then the average car would struggle to do more than 70mph apart from your Jags and Bentleys etc. and had poor brakes and handled like blamange's nowadays your average car i.e. Mondeo, Vectra, Passat will cruise all day at 100mph in perfect saftey (almost) because they brake and handle light years better than the old Ford Anglia's etc. The truth is it is all down to driver training/experience and weather conditions - a good driver in a good performance car could drive in perfect saftey at 120mph whilst someone coudl have a ratty old poorly maintained car could drive at 80mph in the p***ing rain - now that i would find dangerous.

Experience is the main thing, how many of us (now be honest) thought we were great drivers at 18yo when really we were pretty cr*p!!!

Oh i drove once at 155mph and it scared the sh*t out of me
Old 11 January 2006, 03:30 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

"The truth is the speed limit was introduced when someone decided to speedtest a tuned Shelby Cobra down the M1 at over 190mph "

which was safer than doing 110mph nowadays......there are more cars, more drivers, and more cars that create an impression of safty than ever before.

anyone that goes over 100mph is an idiot (unless they are happy to loose their licence - imo, anyone nicked at over 100 that then moans about "needing" their car should get sent down simply for being a moron)
Old 11 January 2006, 03:31 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

It's almost impossible to answer as it depends on the circumstances and really depends on a dose of common sense in terms of speed and conditions but if you take the law into account, then I'd have to say that anything over 94mph is taking the ****. Before this, it's an automatic 3 points and £60.00 fine (motorway) or if you exceed this limit then it's an automatic visit to the Magistrates.

Obviously, it differs in lower limit areas but generally speaking (I know there are some daft limits in rural areas, outside of conurbations) you shouldn't be exceeding the limit by too much to be considered 'taking the ****' unless you're being daft.
Old 11 January 2006, 03:31 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

You need quite a bit of concentration at 136 in a Westfield, I couldn't get it to go any faster. The only minor drama was when my wooly hat came off
Old 11 January 2006, 03:40 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

The final straw; which prompted the introduction of the 'Minister's temporary speed restriction'; was Innes Ireland highly publicised driving of a Ford GT40 on the M1 at an incredible speed. Jaguar had been using the motorway as a free test track for a number of years though.....

On topic; 30mph is too fast past a school at 3:30pm. 70mph increasingly seems to be quite fast enough, when you look at the f*cking appaling lack of driving talent in evidence. An increased speed limit would have to apply to everyone and the majority of people dont seem able to concentrate adequately, or drive competantly within the current speed limits.

Simon
Old 11 January 2006, 03:44 PM
Reality
BANNED

I can remember getting pulled by the cops for doing 130 on the M4 in a UR Quattro not long after they came out. Policeman just wanted a look at the car and told us to take it easy for the rest of day. He wasn't worried that we had got 145 out of it.

Stupid fast then - even more stupid fast now !

Above 100 is too fast.

Above 85 in a 30 is just for the police getting used to their cars
Old 11 January 2006, 03:47 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Not wishing to cause offense but ...What is it with M3 drivers ? The other morning i was travelling along the M54 to work (a sunday!!) at just over 3 figures and a M3 passed me as if i was standing still must have been doing at least 160+

Im no slouch when it comes to speed but surely the track is a place for that sort of speed

Mark

I would have gone after him but my clutch is fcuked lol
Old 11 January 2006, 04:05 PM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

I think 120 is a safe speed for most modern cars....certainly 70mph is too slow. Have you ever dropped back from 3 figures and sat at 70? it feels like you could do a 3 point turn in the road it's so slow.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:07 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

I think it's about time they introduced a two tier driving licence.

The basic is limits as they are now...If you pass the 'Advanced' - which should be REALLY hard and asses your judgment, your reactions and require training to increase your driving ability - should cost another £500 and require a £50 a year re-examination then you should be allowed to do 90mph on a motorway when conditions permit ( unless a temporary speed restriction is in place) and 70mph on normal 60mph B roads IN a given range of vehicles not older than 3 years old.

You'd get a little silver sticker which you put in your window *when your driving it * and if you get pulled and your not eligable or the cop deems the 'speed unsuitable becuase it's zero visibility fog' then you lose your advanced rating...good incentive not to screw the privilege...

Simple...would also solve the problem with OAP's driving at speeds when they are no longer competant...and mean they could effectively give a choice to motorists instead of just caning the crap out of them with endless speed cameras.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:14 PM
Kyl3cook
Scooby Regular

nice idea, but there are cars 10 years old that are quite capable of sitting at 90mph on the motorway. If I had a jaguar xj220 I'd quite hope it would stay together at that speed
Old 11 January 2006, 04:16 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

I'd say "too fast" is dependent on the conditions and speed of other traffic (on motorways/carraiage ways - it's the difference in speed that often causes the accidents).

What I consider accptable:
Quiet dry motorway: 40mph above everyone else
Above but wet: 20-30mph above (take note not everyone is doing 70mph)
Busy bunched up motorway traffic, dry: 20mph above everyone else
As above but wet: 10mph above everyone else

Dry A-roads, variable, 20mph above limit on dead straights without junctions.
As above but wet 10mph.
Anywhere else with bends, junctions, narrow sections, visbility problems etc. I travel slower.

However heres the good one: It must be noted that in adverse condition that travelling at or even below the speed limit can be far far too fast. What is acceptable imo on a dry motorway is not acceptable on a busy, wet NSL dual carriageway with lots of junctions.

It's all in moderation and using common sense - general rule in adverse conditions is to travel at a speed inwhich you are capable of stopping in the distance you have ahead of you (be it cars ahead, bend or junctions). This is where many people fall foul and many have too much faith and over-confidence in their car's stopping abilities and controllability on wet roads (especially at this time of year - good in the twistys...think again!). Because a sign says you can do 60mph or NSL it doen't mean it is safe to do so.

Has anyone ever done an emergency stop at 120mph??...it's interesting when the rear end start snaking

[hypocrital politician's head on]
Oh, yes and the fastest I travel at is 1mph above any posted speed limit
[hypocritical head off]

Last edited by ALi-B; 11 January 2006 at 04:18 PM.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:16 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

My argument is that at 70mph your concentration is far far less than when you are going 100mph+
Yes your stopping, reaction etc times are longer, but your anticipation & concentration - both key key elements of safe driving - are far batter.

On the race track, if I venture over 100mph I am so alert to other cars & whats going on & my concentration is so much better than when I travel at 75mph & I am wondering whats for dinner, fiddling with the sterio etc as this speed feels pedestrian.

R.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:29 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

In the end what defines too fast is the distance that you can see and the distance in which you can stop. You must be able to stop safely on your own side of the road in the distance you can see to be clear. When you can no longer do this you are travelling too fast.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:36 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Kyl3cook
nice idea, but there are cars 10 years old that are quite capable of sitting at 90mph on the motorway. If I had a jaguar xj220 I'd quite hope it would stay together at that speed

Well they could do an SVA type examination on cars like your Xj220 - to see if it still meets the grade

Old 11 January 2006, 04:36 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Sustained speeds are a different kettle of frogs to a quick blast in a very quick car.

I could travel all day long at 85 on the motorway (permitting) as long as I could have the occassional blast (permitting) up to 170mph to get the high required to maintain sanity.
Old 11 January 2006, 04:43 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RoShamBo
My argument is that at 70mph your concentration is far far less than when you are going 100mph+
Yes your stopping, reaction etc times are longer, but your anticipation & concentration - both key key elements of safe driving - are far batter.

On the race track, if I venture over 100mph I am so alert to other cars & whats going on & my concentration is so much better than when I travel at 75mph & I am wondering whats for dinner, fiddling with the sterio etc as this speed feels pedestrian.

R.

Got to agree with this...but I still don't think that 99% of drivers are actually capable of anything higher than 70mph..In reference to Ali-B - when driving in the wet on a motorway I figure that most people still drive way to close and way to fast...

This is why the two tier driving licence is the only way forward - rewards for those that demonstrate it's THAT important to them and that they really do have the skills and GOOD judgement. Those MINORITY who want to go faster ( and trust me they are a minority ) can earn the right. Your mum, gran, dad, aunt, sister etc etc are all happy and generally incapable of doing higher speeds because they DO NOT understand the physics or the mechanics of driving or a motorcar (this is not a critisicm it's just that not everyone 'digs' driving as a passion...they are simply NOT interested and so are not willing to put in the practice to become really competant high speed drivers...

P.S - when I feel the need for a blast - ie a really sustained high speed blast - I always do it on a midnight run on very quiet rural roads in the middle of nowhere - where the only thing that's going to get damaged is me or the car...but naturally I still NEVER exceed the national speed limits... ;-)

Last edited by flynnstudio; 11 January 2006 at 04:46 PM.
Old 11 January 2006, 05:15 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by GC8
An increased speed limit would have to apply to everyone and the majority of people dont seem able to concentrate adequately, or drive competantly within the current speed limits.
This is the key point. It would have to apply to everyone, regardless of whether they knew the road or not, regardless of whether they are tired or not, regardless of whether they have an M3 or an Austin Princess.

And I don't see how you can have a two-tier licence, as then you'd have to have two-tier roads; the BMW lane would be just that, otherwise the Daewoo Matiz would be overtaking at 71mph and suddenly get wiped out by a Skyline coming up at 130. Impossible to implement, frankly.

Yeah, yeah, I know the Germans have a solution, but apart from the Swiss they are the most rule-following nation in Europe. Brits ain't.
Old 11 January 2006, 05:18 PM
rico2k_uk
Scooby Regular

i say tbh, 80 on motorways (unless in my civic, then 70 will do just fine), 30 in towns, but no more than 20 near schools, and on roads after 3:00-4:30ish for when kiddies are walking home. thats my opinion anyway.
Old 11 January 2006, 05:22 PM
Moley
Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Took my old car off the speedo....so something over 160mph.

Was a lot younger then, and would never dream of doing that again.
Everything happens very quickly, and looking back i am just glad i didn't get caught....or worse.

If i wanna go quick and enjoy myself i go on a track day. Not as much high speed, but so much more of a rush!!!
Old 11 January 2006, 05:23 PM
flynnstudio
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
And I don't see how you can have a two-tier licence, as then you'd have to have two-tier roads; the BMW lane would be just that, otherwise the Daewoo Matiz would be overtaking at 71mph and suddenly get wiped out by a Skyline coming up at 130. Impossible to implement, frankly.
I said 90mph for 'Advanced' - nothing different from how it is now except that it's legislated and moderated...needs no new roads, no new lanes. It's simple and it will work. If your BMW driver can't demonstrate in his advanced driving tests that he has the abilities to react that little bit quicker he doesn't get the right to do 90mph...

130mph is not on the table - Never will be - NEVER NEVER NEVER...(only lemon ice cream is on the table).
Old 11 January 2006, 05:30 PM
Wmscooby
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ALi-B
I'd say "too fast" is dependent on the conditions and speed of other traffic (on motorways/carraiage ways - it's the difference in speed that often causes the accidents).

What I consider accptable:
Quiet dry motorway: 40mph above everyone else
Above but wet: 20-30mph above (take note not everyone is doing 70mph)
Busy bunched up motorway traffic, dry: 20mph above everyone else
As above but wet: 10mph above everyone else

Dry A-roads, variable, 20mph above limit on dead straights without junctions.
As above but wet 10mph.
Anywhere else with bends, junctions, narrow sections, visbility problems etc. I travel slower.

However heres the good one: It must be noted that in adverse condition that travelling at or even below the speed limit can be far far too fast. What is acceptable imo on a dry motorway is not acceptable on a busy, wet NSL dual carriageway with lots of junctions.

It's all in moderation and using common sense - general rule in adverse conditions is to travel at a speed inwhich you are capable of stopping in the distance you have ahead of you (be it cars ahead, bend or junctions). This is where many people fall foul and many have too much faith and over-confidence in their car's stopping abilities and controllability on wet roads (especially at this time of year - good in the twistys...think again!). Because a sign says you can do 60mph or NSL it doen't mean it is safe to do so.

Has anyone ever done an emergency stop at 120mph??...it's interesting when the rear end start snaking

[hypocrital politician's head on]
Oh, yes and the fastest I travel at is 1mph above any posted speed limit
[hypocritical head off]

I agree with the staights. I got done for speeding on a dual carraigeway that was 40mph not built up area either gutted!!!!
Old 11 January 2006, 06:10 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Totally situational as to when fast is too fast. I've seen some very high speeds in my cars and felt perfectly in control and that I'd taken full account of the circumstances. Driving at 130-odd mph is neither scary nor particularly taxing when the conditions allow.

The 70mph limit is very outdated however. All modern cars can go faster perfectly safely IF the driver is taking account of conditions and keeping safe distances, etc.
Old 11 January 2006, 06:52 PM
Abdabz
Scooby Regular

Location: Tellins, Home of Super Leagues finest, and where a "split" is not all it seems.

Currently with the existing speed limit laws there are no road deaths per year anywhere in the UK as all drivers are as good as us immortals on SN, therefore why bother with speed limits at all?
Seriously, take a fiat ceicquento (sp) or a daewoo matiz, top speed a nats chuff over 80mph, or an hgv restricted to 55, a coach or caravan restricted to 60 something...
Your poottling along at 110+ overtaking a stream of these slow chaps in a row whilst in the miggil lane and the speed limit is say 120, car about to pass you at 120+ as the 18 wheeler pulls out... Goodnight vienna
Also at 70, should you have a need to accelerate you can knock down a gear and off you pop... At 120+ your stuck in 5th with reduced accident avoidance...
I did in my younger days travel in excess of 120mph and was a passenger in a 928 doing 140 once, but I know people who have been killed on roads because of speed and them/ other drivers 'thinking' theyre able (two tier license? )...
So I guess as I have once or twice breached 85 on motorways recently, that over 85 is too fast as its more than 10% plus 2.
There but for the grace of god...

Quick Reply: How fast is too fast?