Caught on film

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2006, 08:23 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Caught on film

From The Times:-

Police roadside cameras will now be able to prove who was driving when an offence was committed.

New cameras will take video clips as well as reading numberplates using automatic numberplate recognition technology.

The inventor, Videofit of Cheltenham, claims they will help combat the growing number of motorists who say they do not remember who was behind the wheel.

The cameras can also be used to enforce congestion charge areas and car-share lanes on motorways where solo drivers are illegal.

Pete
Old 09 January 2006, 08:28 PM
chris's scooby
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pslewis
From The Times:-

Police roadside cameras will now be able to prove who was driving when an offence was committed.

New cameras will take video clips as well as reading numberplates using automatic numberplate recognition technology.

The inventor, Videofit of Cheltenham, claims they will help combat the growing number of motorists who say they do not remember who was behind the wheel.

The cameras can also be used to enforce congestion charge areas and car-share lanes on motorways where solo drivers are illegal.

Pete
Time to go buy a Tony Blair mask...
Old 09 January 2006, 08:35 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

And would the money be better spent on traffic police patrolling in cars potentionally sorting issues such as bad driving, incorrect use of indicators, tailgating, drink driving, no insurance, no mot, no tax ete etc.
Oh sorry I forget these dont count any more as crimes, but speeding and the detection of speeding (the route of all evil) is the only crime today, oh and brings in the largest amount of money for the goverment !
Richard
Old 09 January 2006, 08:38 PM
s70rjw
Scooby Senior

Truvelo cameras have been taking photos from the front for a while to combat the common defences used by motorists caught on camera.
Old 09 January 2006, 09:47 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

AFAIK the evidence is not admissible in court due to civil rights issues.

Mart
Old 09 January 2006, 10:17 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

They do it in Germany so it wont be long untill the UK jumps on board.

European Union for you!

I read somewhere also that all the roadside cameras can eventually be linked to computers with ANPR. Time over distance = speed, not good.
If they really wanted to stop speeding and not make money they would make it a requirement that all new vehicles be fitted with speed limiters. Using the money from the scamera's they could retro fit them to older cars.

Like I said though, it wouldnt make money so it wouldnt happen

Last edited by wrxtankie; 09 January 2006 at 10:22 PM.
Old 09 January 2006, 10:30 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by wrxtankie
They do it in Germany so it wont be long untill the UK jumps on board.
What, ya mean no upper speed limit on certain roads?

Good on the EC - give Princess Tony a gold star

mb
Old 09 January 2006, 11:02 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Originally Posted by boomer
What, ya mean no upper speed limit on certain roads?

Good on the EC - give Princess Tony a gold star

mb
Certain roads you are right have a maximum "recomended" limit. Where they do have a stated limit they are **** hot on enforcing them
Old 09 January 2006, 11:05 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

I dont mind paying the fine - just cant take all the points, id have more than supermario after he does the end of level baddie
Old 09 January 2006, 11:13 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This always makes me laugh ............................

If you commit a crime (speeding) - you lot get on your high horses about the law abiding public funding devices that can catch you (and hopefully, slow you down).

Yet ...... you would have no hesitation, at all, in stringing up a 12 year old car thief on the nearest lampost if he was caught on camera and cried that it was, quote taken from ScoobyNet speeders - "So Unfair!! Blubber, Blubber!"

Pathetic!!

Pete
Old 09 January 2006, 11:24 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Old 10 January 2006, 12:07 AM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Fishing - yes, you know the silly old sod is

My house got broken into - Police reaction... Well, its a bit difficult to catch them really

I had to demand that the finger print guy came round. Could he care???? Like ****.

pslewis, you've caught me
Old 10 January 2006, 09:23 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I've just stopped responding to his posts. The sooner we all do, the better.........

Alcazar
Old 10 January 2006, 10:00 AM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rsarjantson
And would the money be better spent on traffic police patrolling in cars potentionally sorting issues such as bad driving, incorrect use of indicators, tailgating, drink driving, no insurance, no mot, no tax ete etc.
Oh sorry I forget these dont count any more as crimes, but speeding and the detection of speeding (the route of all evil) is the only crime today, oh and brings in the largest amount of money for the goverment !
Richard

In my opinion yes!
Old 10 January 2006, 10:25 AM
sociopath
BANNED

Originally Posted by pslewis
If you commit a crime (speeding)
Yet ...... you would have no hesitation, at all, in stringing up a 12 year old car thief on the nearest lampost
Speeding isn't a crime that anyone of any intelligence really gives two shakes of a **** stick about, that's why we all do it.

Thieving is wrong though. We care about thieving.

The laws and the way they are enforced need to be changed to reflect society's feelings on the matter and until they are we shall continue speeding and kicking the **** out of 12 year old car thieves.
Old 10 January 2006, 10:28 AM
TelBoy
Scooby Regular

That's a blinkered view. Lots of people DO care about speeding - but the majority of the people on here, by virtue of the car they drive, consciously or otherwise lower its level of importance to themselves as a crime so that they don't have continual hang-ups about breaking the speed limit. You could argue the intelligence thing from completely the other direction therefore...
Old 10 January 2006, 12:05 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Its all a matter of degree I think. Speeding in built up areas especially in sensitive or constricted areas is a selfish way to behave and is alarming to other people as well as being dangerous. It is not surprising the people who live in small villages take positive steps to try to stop it happening. Anyone who hurts or kills someone under these circumstances deserve to be heavily penalised.

On the open road on the other hand reasonable excursions over the limit are not particularly serious providing that the traffic is not heavy. That is why I object to the speed and spy cameras outside the towns. We should go back to the days of traffic police who can use their own common sense and also who can catch the other far worse offenders such as those who are under the influence of drink or drugs or are not insured and driving a deathtrap.

I would not condone anyone driving at 3 figure speeds on any public road however. There is just too much traffic these days and even if you can't see another car one can appear at any time. If you want to do that, go and do a track day where you can really demonstrate your skill and bottle to us all.

Les
Old 10 January 2006, 12:43 PM
LC Geezer
Scooby Regular

Leslie - fancy putting yourself forward for leadership of the Lib Dems? I think you've got a vote winning, sensible policy.
Old 10 January 2006, 02:55 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

hes not a barking mad loonie though so hes disqualified
Old 10 January 2006, 06:43 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

What if you were to be driving your car wearing a helmet ?

Is there a law against it?