Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Protecting NCBs?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2006, 02:38 PM
ADP
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Protecting NCBs?

How many people really do this? what does it actually cover me for????

thanks

Andy
Old 09 January 2006, 02:41 PM
Reality
BANNED

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I Do.

Means you can ram some ****** that's annoying you on the road and your insurance premium doesn't go up .

But you usually only get to do it twice a year or 4 times in 4 years .
Old 09 January 2006, 02:42 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
I Do.

Means you can ram some ****** that's annoying you on the road and your insurance premium doesn't go up .

No it means you dont lose your no-claims.How do you know they dont "work it into" your next premium though.

I have it some years,others not.
Old 09 January 2006, 02:44 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

I do. Protects the supposed NCB (discount) you have. i.e. I have 60% (Maximum amount of NCB I think, although I'm not sure I believe this discount is fully applied) and if I crash my car, my fault, I would lose some if not all of that discount. With protection I am allowed two claims in two years without the loss of any discount.

Edited to say, I think it only costs about a tenner a year, although it might have gone up 'a bit' since I last enquired
Old 09 January 2006, 02:49 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

Originally Posted by paulr
No it means you dont lose your no-claims.How do you know they dont "work it into" your next premium though.

I have it some years,others not.
I'm also suspicious of how they work out any premiums re discounts etc.

Just to say, every year I seem to receive a premium hike at renewal time. A quick internet quote with the same company, and hey presto, over £150 cheaper online. A quick call to some dodgy call centre and customer relations, where I rant about this happening every year, and they match the online quote

Insurance companies, dont you just love them
Old 09 January 2006, 03:10 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Protected no claims discount is something that many people misinterpret. I have a full no claims discount which I protected as force of habbit. Two years ago a lump of steel came of the back of a lorry on the motorway and smashed my bonnet and windscreen on the TDI leon.

To cut a long story down, the driver denied it came off his lorry and the police were unable to find the lump of metal on the motorway. The cost of repair came to £700. My excess was £100 so I opted to pursue it through my insurance. Despite repeatedly arguing with my insurer they said that although I did not cause the damage it had to be recorded as an 'at fault' collision. I explained the full cirmstances of the collision to them and they said it would be investigated with the transport company being pursued for recovery of the payout.

I believed I would be safe either way with protected no claims bonus, but a few weeks later my renewal arrived and the premium was over £2K. When I investigated this they told me there was still an 'at fault' accident open on the policy, but I would be refunded once they had recovered costs from the transport company.

My previous years premium had been £480 fully comp with protected NCD.

So I think the answer is yes - it does allow you to retain your NCD, but bear in mind most insurers also ask if you have had any accidents claims or convictions regardless of blame in the last 3 years / 5 years so the premium can be heavily loaded in other ways.

TT
Old 09 January 2006, 05:24 PM
JamieMiller
Scooby Regular

Depends who you are covered by. I made a claim about a year and a half ago. I was driving my Dads Shogun and reversed into somebody. It was entirley my fault and I claimed from the 3rd party section on my policy. It was fully protected and it seems to have made no differnce to my premiums.
Old 09 January 2006, 06:36 PM
SiDHEaD
Scooby Regular

The base premium will go up a few hundred for a claim. This is before NCB is deducted. If you have protected NCB then u don't lose 2yrs off your discount.