Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Single Seater Race car- can you SVA them for road use

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2006, 03:23 AM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Single Seater Race car- can you SVA them for road use

Ive always fancied getting a Formula Ford/Vee single seater race car. Can you SVA one for road use, obviuosly head lights etc... will be needed but is it a possibilitily??
Old 09 January 2006, 03:58 AM
Billbill
Scooby Regular

Anything is a possibility.
If you have the necessary finances!
Old 09 January 2006, 08:58 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

True, in theory any vehicle can be SVA'd - but whether its worth spending the money to make it road legal is the question. You'd really need to get the car to a test centre and see what they fail it on, and ask them what you would need to do to get it sorted and go from there.

I remember a few years ago ( possibly on Top gear ) a bloke who had what was basically an old formula 1 car and used it on the road - outwardly it looked pretty much the same ( apart from some crap looking mudguards over the wheels which I think were a safety thing for the SVA ).
Old 09 January 2006, 09:38 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

Originally Posted by MikeCardiff
True, in theory any vehicle can be SVA'd - but whether its worth spending the money to make it road legal is the question. You'd really need to get the car to a test centre and see what they fail it on, and ask them what you would need to do to get it sorted and go from there.

I remember a few years ago ( possibly on Top gear ) a bloke who had what was basically an old formula 1 car and used it on the road - outwardly it looked pretty much the same ( apart from some crap looking mudguards over the wheels which I think were a safety thing for the SVA ).
I remember that, though I seem to remember it being a F3000 Reynard or something....yellow IIRC.
Old 09 January 2006, 10:10 AM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

Yea i was thinking it would properly need lights, number plates holder, indicators and mud guards. Is there a site which would list the requirments for an SVA?
Old 09 January 2006, 10:22 AM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

Have a look on www.locostbuilders.co.uk and have a look in the SVA/Legal forum to see what they have to do to get their kit cars through the SVA.

Its not nearly as simple as adding lights and mudguards, the test is VERY thorough and covers things like protruding edges, sharp radii on corners, etc etc

EDIT : just found a copy of the sva manual online...
www.rootpeg.net/WurzleGummage.pdf
all 228 pages of it

Last edited by David_Dickson; 09 January 2006 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09 January 2006, 11:00 AM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

yee hah 228 pages, that ill keep me busy for a while. thanks ill check it out.
Old 09 January 2006, 11:12 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

It's stranger than you would think!! I was exhibiting at a show one summer and down the road came a guy called Ed China on his roadworthy sofa. You may recall he did some racing against a shed and a 4-wheeled skip.

IIRC correctly Ed was telling me you don't have to have lights for example but you obviously don't drive in the dark! The point being if you do have lights fitted then they have to work but if you don't have them in the first place....... I think he had to have working brake lights which makes sense but not a lot more.
Old 09 January 2006, 11:17 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...

Originally Posted by David Lock
It's stranger than you would think!! I was exhibiting at a show one summer and down the road came a guy called Ed China on his roadworthy sofa. You may recall he did some racing against a shed and a 4-wheeled skip.

IIRC correctly Ed was telling me you don't have to have lights for example but you obviously don't drive in the dark! The point being if you do have lights fitted then they have to work but if you don't have them in the first place....... I think he had to have working brake lights which makes sense but not a lot more.
yes I have seen that guy regularly around Soho, there is also one or two others I have seen around here including a fourposter bed, and a bath complete with stand-up shower.

regarding the sva'd fomula ford, you would have to be clinically insane to want to drive one of these on British roads!!
Old 09 January 2006, 11:28 AM
David Lock
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Edcase

.......yes I have seen that guy regularly around Soho, there is also one or two others I have seen around here including a fourposter bed,...

"50 quid sweetheart? That's fine - bed's parked around the corner"
Old 09 January 2006, 11:40 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

LOL. Funny enough my office is at the end of Brewer street where all the dodgy sex clubs are
Old 09 January 2006, 03:02 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

the thing is, its been a dream of mine to have a single seater, I wouldnt race it in a club or anything, so it would have be road legal. I would go out on a dry night and pretent im an F1 driver or something lol.

Ive seen them for sale for under 5K, its gotta be dam quick due to light weight even with a little 1.6 zetec.
Old 09 January 2006, 03:07 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

they feel quicker than they are due to low seat position etc. but the steering is so quick it would be dangerous on the road!
Old 09 January 2006, 04:47 PM
TyPe~~R
Scooby Regular

I'm 60 pages through that PDF document and it makes little sense tbh. there's too much information that is irelevant

Edcase, danger is my middle name, or maybe you can change the rack so its less agresive on the turn in