Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Non-appearance of British Gas Engineers

Search this Thread

Old 07 January 2006, 02:48 PM
JDMCTR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non-appearance of British Gas Engineers

I have a 3 star cover with Br Gas. I have called them out 4 times over the last 9 days due to the heating working intermittently for the downstairs radiators. Each time they were suppose to come, they did not turn up.

I contacted the call centre and each time they promised me that an engineer will visit. The latest saga was yesterday, I was promised a visit by one of the engineers yet no one turned up yet AGAIN. I phoned them yesterday evening and they informed me that someone will turn up this morning but once again no one turned up. Phoned them again and was promised that one will turn up between 2-6pm. Anyone have any idea how to deal with the situation?.

Thanks.
Old 07 January 2006, 02:50 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Tell them that now you can smell gas and you're worried. They'll be round sharpish. Let a hob run for 5 secs unignited just before they turn up so they don't shout at you for wasting their time
Old 07 January 2006, 03:48 PM
JDMCTR
Scooby Regular

But will they sort out the problem?.
Old 07 January 2006, 03:57 PM
richs2891
Scooby Regular

NO if you call them re smelling gas they will simply cut the gas supply off - and not fix anything.
Try speaking to someone else at call centre -ie manager and state what has happened - inc the names of the persoons that told you they had booke dthe engineers, complain abaout them and definately ask for money off on cover - or the cost of the engineers visit.
Richard
Old 07 January 2006, 05:17 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Brendan Hughes
Tell them that now you can smell gas and you're worried. They'll be round sharpish. Let a hob run for 5 secs unignited just before they turn up so they don't shout at you for wasting their time
WRONG! If you ring up and report a gas escape someone from Transco will attend. Transco are nothing to do with and have no ties with British Gas. BG will just tell you to shut the main tap off therefore rendering your internal system safe.

Chip
Old 07 January 2006, 05:35 PM
JDMCTR
Scooby Regular

Hi,
Thanks for all your tips. The gasman been and sorted out the problem. He changed the pump and everything is ok.
Old 07 January 2006, 08:50 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDMCTR
I have a 3 star cover with Br Gas. I have called them out 4 times over the last 9 days due to the heating working intermittently for the downstairs radiators. Each time they were suppose to come, they did not turn up.

I contacted the call centre and each time they promised me that an engineer will visit. The latest saga was yesterday, I was promised a visit by one of the engineers yet no one turned up yet AGAIN. I phoned them yesterday evening and they informed me that someone will turn up this morning but once again no one turned up. Phoned them again and was promised that one will turn up between 2-6pm. Anyone have any idea how to deal with the situation?.

Thanks.
Simple answer is they are too busy visiting my house. Moved here about 18 months ago and I reckon we have now called them out at least 9 times and most calls have involved 2 visits and some 3!
Old 07 January 2006, 10:04 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Whenever I book them, I wait all day for them to turn up and then after diagnosing the fault they tell me they haven't got the parts. Then I have to wait in all day again when they return with the right part. The thing is, there aren't actually that many manufacturers of this stuff (Potterton, Glow-Worm, etc.) And the AA manage to turn up with a fully-equipped van with parts for most circumstances (even ECUs), so why can't BG do the equivalent?
Old 07 January 2006, 10:58 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

oops, sorry everyone
Old 08 January 2006, 08:56 AM
wrxfox
Scooby Regular

not sticking up for them but on the parts we work on boilers from about 60 manufacturers some of those have only a few different models others have over 200 different models to carry all parts probably about 3 18 wheelers requ.
Old 08 January 2006, 09:14 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrxfox
not sticking up for them but on the parts we work on boilers from about 60 manufacturers some of those have only a few different models others have over 200 different models to carry all parts probably about 3 18 wheelers requ.
Spot on, i used to work for BG i served my time there. While they are crap with to many managers and not enough engineers due to the fact they treat there staff like crap. Its imposssible to carry enough spares to please everyone. Like has been said you would need 3 class 1 vehicles caring all your parts behind for you. Theres an easy soulution for BG all they have to do is treat there staff better and pay better, this will encourage staff to go and work for them. This in turn will mean quicker response times with less call out per man and a happier work force as there under less pressure. Until they do this BG will always have this situation of unhappy customers and not enough engineers.
Old 08 January 2006, 09:30 AM
wrxfox
Scooby Regular

still here no better
Old 08 January 2006, 09:32 AM
DemonDave
Scooby Regular

What I have been told before - not sure if it is 100% but worth a try

"Ask them for the statutory compensation that your are is entitled to for the missed appointments - £20 a time, (this is regulatory, not discretionary - they should pro-actively offer you £20 for each missed appointment, you shouldn't have to ask them for it). "
Old 08 January 2006, 09:59 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JDMCTR
Hi,
Thanks for all your tips. The gasman been and sorted out the problem. He changed the pump and everything is ok.
After the runaround they gave you, I hope you sent him bus surfing....
Old 08 January 2006, 11:02 AM
Nev
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
This is correct. Last time I was supposed to have an engineer turn up surprise surprise he didn't so I decided to kick up a right fuss over the phone requesting my contract be cancelled. Funnily enough I had a complaints rep call me straight back offering me compensation and a discount off my contract which I accepted and an engineer turned up the next day.

Instead of just accepting it like people do in this country, kick up a right fuss. Some say its whinging but I refuse to pay for a service and then not receive it so I will kick up a fuss each time something I have paid for is not delivered to the acceptable standard. Why should we have to put up with paying for products/services in the UK that just arn't delivered to what is promised in the contract?
Abso-bloody-lutely: too many people take things like this on the chin. You've paid and therefore expect a service.
Old 08 January 2006, 11:25 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

I would say in defence of the engineer that they dont have control over job allocation, or they never did when i was there. So by all means kick up a fuss and go for compensation but try no to upset the enginner who attends your job. Its not his fault and you dont want your parts getting lost and leaving you without heating longer than normal. Also problem jobs/customers were soon talked about by the lads at meetings and there jobs were normally avoided at all costs. You will find the engineer sides with you, but chew his ears off for something that aint his fault and he wont be very happy. But if you do....

He will probably find corrosive sludge in your system, he will change your parts that time, but will insist on a £500+ powerflush before you are allowed anymore parts repairs, when you complain and kick off they will refer you to your small print on your contract where it explains (or used to) that systems with corrosive material within the system are not covered, they will cancel your contract for you.

Last edited by RR; 08 January 2006 at 11:31 AM.
Old 08 January 2006, 03:30 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by **************
Instead of just accepting it like people do in this country, kick up a right fuss. Some say its whinging but I refuse to pay for a service and then not receive it so I will kick up a fuss each time something I have paid for is not delivered to the acceptable standard. Why should we have to put up with paying for products/services in the UK that just arn't delivered to what is promised in the contract?
Strange you should mention it but on the time beofre the latest callout the BG engineer was called. Appointment booked for an afternoon. He hadn't arrived by 5 so my wife phones up and asks where he is. Oh he is coming be there shortly. At 8 the guy rings to say he has 2 jobs to do and will be over after he has done them. Bearing in mind it was 8pm he was 45 mins away, and still had 2 other jobs to do my wife refused this kind offer.

So he says h'll get someone to us first thing am the next day. 10am no engineer so she phones again, yes there will be onbe with you shortly, would you like some flowers or money off the bill for the inconvience? So money off bill.

Sure enough 30 minutes later the engineer arrives. Looks at Boiler finds faults fixes and leaves and its now 12.30. At 1 he phones "is you boiler ok? I have just had an urgent call out to come and fix it!"

Its not the engineers its the call centre and crappy management. Mind you crappy sub-standard boilers don;t help either!
Old 08 January 2006, 07:14 PM
RR
Scooby Regular

They give the engineers to many jobs, as always quantity not quality is what matters to the people at the top.