Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

television news

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2006, 10:35 AM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default television news

Is it just me or does anyone think that television news over does it with coverage of the top three stories every time its on TV.

Yesterday the lunchtime news spent 12 mintutes on the Arial Sharon story, with reporters going off on tangents about his military background, his previous role as defence minister or whatever he was. The fact was Arial Sharon had had a stroke, he was in hospital and was believed to have ungergone extensive surgery. News reported, move on to next headline.

Similar approach to the Bird Flu deaths in Turkey, a whole pile of irrelvant and uninteresting background.

I reckon news could be conveyed in sufficient detail in 15 minutes on TV just as it is on Radio, wihout all the irritating, irrelvant on the ground reporting.

Rant over
TT
Old 06 January 2006, 10:53 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

The time spent on stories depends on the number of other stories to report and the importance and significance of the stories. If there were no other stories then they would fill up 1/2 hour of how fred bloggs hit his thumb with a hammer.

You could do what I do when I don't like what I see on the box, and this may sound controversial but I switch channels or turn the TV off. I appreciate this may be difficult for some people here on SN as those pesky remote buttons can be hard to press sometimes.
Old 06 January 2006, 11:20 AM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by Dracoro
The time spent on stories depends on the number of other stories to report and the importance and significance of the stories. If there were no other stories then they would fill up 1/2 hour of how fred bloggs hit his thumb with a hammer.

You could do what I do when I don't like what I see on the box, and this may sound controversial but I switch channels or turn the TV off. I appreciate this may be difficult for some people here on SN as those pesky remote buttons can be hard to press sometimes.
It's not the pressing of buttons that's difficult, it's getting off your fat **** and finding the damn thing that's the problem.

I enjoy the background research given in news stories, gives you a better understanding of the whole situation.

One thing I do disklike though is London Tonight, which I believe should be renamed to 'Ethnic Minority Tonight'.
Old 06 January 2006, 11:40 AM
oobster
Scooby Regular

Know what pisses me off?

Way-over-the-top use of 'Live' pieces - why do they have some reporter standing outside 10 Downing Street @ 9 or 10pm - what can this possibly add to the story? They could have had some bloke sitting telling you about recent developments or whatever in the studio, thus saving the cost of an OB unit!!!

Does my nut in. ITV is especially bad.