Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky+ Installation worry... ??

Search this Thread

Old 06 January 2006, 09:24 AM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Sky+ Installation worry... ??

We are getting sky+ at the end of the month with the multiroom package...

problem is; they said we need both boxes connected to the phone line... BUT I have just found my old sky box has no live connection (ie: modem inside is dead).
Can the engineer refuse to install it?

Or can I get away with just the sky+ being connected on the day of install?

I dont want to be stung with any charges for non compliance as according to T+C's..
help!
Old 06 January 2006, 09:28 AM
hectic
Scooby Regular

chrome, what youll most likely find is the 'secondary' box.. ie your existing one, wil be 'swapped out' on day of install due to having an internal fault....any engineer 'worth his salt' will do this as a matter of course at point of install.
HTH
John
Old 06 January 2006, 10:15 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I had sky for 3 years with no connection to the phone line. Had Sky Freesat installed 18 months ago and that does not need a phone connection. Upgraded to subscriber sky and they didnt even mention it and have never asked me about it.

As far as i know its used for PPV events and films, some red button services, and can submit stats on viewing to Sky.

Dave
Old 06 January 2006, 10:20 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Never plugged the phone line in....my independent installer said that if they ever ask, just to say "I'm decorating, so it's unplugged for now".

Since it was installed, never plugged it into the phone line, and they've never phoned to query it.
Old 06 January 2006, 02:23 PM
scoobylav
Scooby Regular

I got the Sky + Upgrade a while back. Old box went upstairs to one of the bedrooms and new box went in living room. I ran a temporary phone cable to the bedroom for it to be plugged into for installation as they do a system check when they install through the phone line.

I then unplugged the phone line from the one in the bedroom. I got a few letters from Sky telling me one was unplugged and by leaving it that way I was in breach of the contract and if i didn't connect it I would have to pay full amount for both boxes. I now connect it for a few days a month
Old 06 January 2006, 02:46 PM
DavidBrown
Scooby Regular

I've NEVER plugged mine in. Nor will I. I dont' know what premium services it'll start dialling unbeknownst to me.
Old 06 January 2006, 04:59 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DavidBrown
I've NEVER plugged mine in. Nor will I. I dont' know what premium services it'll start dialling unbeknownst to me.
If you dont you are liable to charges as this is clearly staed in your contract which you have signed.

Chip
Old 06 January 2006, 05:02 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

it tCAN be classed as breaking the terms of a contract .. Sky are 'about' to Get Heavy on it , too.. word from the wise...
Old 06 January 2006, 05:19 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
it tCAN be classed as breaking the terms of a contract .. Sky are 'about' to Get Heavy on it , too.. word from the wise...
Probally cos they've caught on to the free PPV fiddle
Old 06 January 2006, 05:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
Probally cos they've caught on to the free PPV fiddle

Chip
Old 06 January 2006, 05:34 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

You can plug the box into a seperate box (Very easy to make) and it tricks it into showing the PPV stuff. Problem is, next time you plug it into the phone line, it lets sky know what you've watched and you get billed. Obviously loads of people arn't plugging in.

Hence the reason that they will get heavy on people. They want the info to send out bills.

For the record if anyone from Sky is looking, I haven't done it
Old 06 January 2006, 05:37 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ben44
You can plug the box into a seperate box (Very easy to make) and it tricks it into showing the PPV stuff. Problem is, next time you plug it into the phone line, it lets sky know what you've watched and you get billed. Obviously loads of people arn't plugging in.

Hence the reason that they will get heavy on people. They want the info to send out bills.

For the record if anyone from Sky is looking, I haven't done it
its ok Ben,... im looking the other way.....
Old 06 January 2006, 05:40 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Old 06 January 2006, 05:53 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

i am but a lowly tech, fella.....
Old 06 January 2006, 05:57 PM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

I got hit with a few ppv's when I upgraded to +. The data is stored on the card and he dialled up to check the box. Was going to ring sky when I got the bill about films and fights from years ago then the penny dropped.
Old 06 January 2006, 06:03 PM
hectic
Scooby Regular

card has to be 'paired' to the box.. its then ,that all the 'dodgey' info is passed over .. no way around it , unfortunately..
Old 06 January 2006, 07:22 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

hectic - what part of sky do you work in ? have had some meetings with sky active people, and also alot of the infrastructure in scotland runs on kit i was involved in.

Dave
Old 06 January 2006, 07:23 PM
druddle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by druddle
I had sky for 3 years with no connection to the phone line. Had Sky Freesat installed 18 months ago and that does not need a phone connection. Upgraded to subscriber sky and they didnt even mention it and have never asked me about it.

As far as i know its used for PPV events and films, some red button services, and can submit stats on viewing to Sky.
Forgot to mention, the engineer that installed it when it was Freesat told me that for Freeview you dont have to have the box plugged into the phone, only for subscriber. I did ask him what would happen when i upgraded and he said sont worry about it.

Dave
Old 06 January 2006, 07:29 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by druddle
hectic - what part of sky do you work in ? have had some meetings with sky active people, and also alot of the infrastructure in scotland runs on kit i was involved in.

Dave
God help you. I've done stuff for them too.. Knowdev, Chordiant & DCMS are all crap systems.. Nice staff to work with though.

David
Old 06 January 2006, 07:32 PM
Hol
Scooby Senior
Support Scoobynet!

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

I have just got a letter from Sky telling me the phone line in the bedroom is not connected.

I dont think the socket has ever worked and Ill check the wiring, but it proves they do check.
Old 06 January 2006, 08:54 PM
Taff107
Scooby Regular

I've had my Sky / Sky + for about 31/2 years and have never connected it.
Old 06 January 2006, 11:41 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I never had ours connected since running a temp lead (sky digi). When we upgraded to multiroom and sky + (free if taking multiroom for 12 months) the guy wouldnt install in the bedroom we wanted as no phone socket.

Mrs was at home and rang me at work. Put fella on the phone and he wouldnt even do the temp line scenario from other bedroom.

I recently plugged our sky + box to the phone line to pay for a prem plus match and it must have uploaded all previous ppv as they appeared on bill this month.

Id recommend someone pays an independent to install it as sky installers are cowboys and wont normally deviate from a basic install and probably break your brickwork in the process.

Simon.
Old 07 January 2006, 03:02 AM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by hectic
i am but a lowly tech, fella.....
But you seem to know what I'm talking about

As it stands, you can get free movies/sport/PPV with a simple cheat (about £5 worth of kit) It can't carry on as Sky are onto it. Personally, I wish I'd ditched the freeview for the old 2 + 5 along time ago. But I guess it's probally not worth it anymore.

I'll be booking my Sky+ with free installation and no cheat soon then
Old 07 January 2006, 09:49 AM
mightyyid
Scooby Regular

There was another way as well. Before I had Sky + I had this on my old system (did not need another box, just a very small tweak to the set-up) that allowed all PPV stuff for free. Or so it seemed - you also needed the phone line disconnected most of the time, but connected when you did this 'thing'.

Worked for over 2 years - then, when I upgraded to Sky+ I'd forgotten all about it, and the next bill was everything that I had watched over the past few years - abotu £60 so not massive but could have been. It does work, but seems unless you physically leave the country, they'll catch up with you at the end.
Old 07 January 2006, 09:59 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

what happens if you do not have a home phone line?

you can not get sky+ ?
i never had a phone line when i bought my freesat card, although as above, it seams you do not need it
Old 07 January 2006, 02:03 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

I would say if you dont have a phoneline sky simply wont install - sky digital or sky +.

Simon.
Old 07 January 2006, 03:33 PM
wrxtankie
Scooby Regular

Location: A.K.A RAIDEN, Watford & Tidworth. V7 STI Type RA Spec C, V2 STI,97JDM WRX, Daytona 675R

Nearly everyone i know out here in Germany has sky or sky+. They arent connected to the phone line either.

We have heard things about them getting on top of this. Supprised the BBC havent cottoned on as we dont pay a TV license

You can get the PPV stuff by butchering the phone line out of the box and using a 9volt battery to simulate the phone signal i think its the red and green wire

as said before it all gets stored on the chip on the card, so next time you hook up to the phone line whammo you get the bill