Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Eldest lad just made redundant

Search this Thread

Old 21 December 2005, 03:49 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Eldest lad just made redundant

Well, it never rains but it pours here in the marvellous deprived North Of England.

Following on from my last week's rant about my youngest being assaulted, (and the police STILL haven't got all three statements), my eldest has just come home after being made redundant, one week before Christmas
Two other apprentices were also made redundant on the same day.

His company, for which he has worked for 18 months as an apprentice welder, reckon they have made a loss this year But they have taken on SIX fully trained Polish workers who work for only £7 an hour

Now, my youth has to find another placement inside six weeks, or his training is forfeit TWO weeks of that is Christmas, so that's really useful.)

He has two and half years of welding training, (he already had to find another placement after the first year), and the qualifications he has so far are worthless in the workplace.

And all he's got is one week's wage in lieu of notice, and a good reference

Good idea, these eastern Europeans coming to work here, isn't it Mr Blair? Especially when they take the jobs and training from local lads?

Alcazar
Old 21 December 2005, 03:52 PM
lightning101
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really ****s me off . Sorry to hear about your son, hope he finds somethig in the new year.
Old 21 December 2005, 03:53 PM
Crazy Chick
Scooby Regular

This is exactly the same as the problem the Irish/Welsh ferries had a couple of weeks back where they tried to turf out all the local ferry staff and replace them with eastern european because they could pay them less. What is the world coming to?
Old 21 December 2005, 03:54 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Am I not right in saying that if he was taken on as an apprentice its his companies responsibility to find him an alternative post which maybe in another company?

We have a large new plant in Blaydon which deals 100% with fabrication / welding but I doubt its any good to you?

Gary
Old 21 December 2005, 03:56 PM
toe
Scooby Regular

for what its worth i hope your lad fids another placement soon, its the same further up north were i am, the ship yards dont have much work on, the steal yards are closing, weres the future for these young lads.........
Old 21 December 2005, 03:57 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug
Am I not right in saying that if he was taken on as an apprentice its his companies responsibility to find him an alternative post which maybe in another company?
Must say Ive heard this before.... ?!?!?

What a sh!tty situation, sorry. But can I just point out that I do not class Scunny as the north of england
Old 21 December 2005, 04:00 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gutmann pug

We have a large new plant in Blaydon which deals 100% with fabrication / welding but I doubt its any good to you?

Gary
Connexions seemed to think not: they stated that it was the Tech College's responsibility, but THEY are shut until 3rd Jan And the lass at Connexions says that there are LOADS in the same boat, (scrabbling for placements), at the moment, welding is like plumbing, no job, no tyraining, despite what TBLiar says

He's gone to town now to pay in his severance/redundancy cheque, and try at a place he knows MIGHT take him, so fingers crossed.

We then have a list of places for him to start ringing tomorrow morning.

I reckon Blaydon might be a bit far for an apprentice, but thanks for the thought. He can't afford to live away from home yet.

If nowt comes up here, we'll have to widen the net to Doncaster and Grimsby, maybe even Hull in the New Year.

Alcazar
Old 21 December 2005, 04:01 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

When I did my apprenticeship we were the hardest people to get rid of should the company have choosen. I'm pretty sure without disiplinary reasons they cant just let you go.

Unless its not a pukka recognised apprenticeship of course?
Old 21 December 2005, 04:02 PM
Neanderthal
Scooby Regular

He can't be made redundant and be replaced. They can only make you redundant if the job no longer exists?!?
Old 21 December 2005, 04:02 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Must say Ive heard this before.... ?!?!?

What a sh!tty situation, sorry. But can I just point out that I do not class Scunny as the north of england
OK, not as North as some, but certainly more deprived than ANYWHERE except Harringay, apparently

Alcazar
Old 21 December 2005, 04:05 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Redundant and replaced? We'd have to PROVE that the Poles are doing exactly his job. Impossible to do.

It was a proper training course, set up by Govt. and you had to have a placement by the third year. Like the plumbing courses. He has had one since year one.
They no longer call them apprenticeships to get around all this sort of ****

Alcazar
Old 21 December 2005, 04:08 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Just read something on ask jeeves about it, cant sort the link out for you though.

go to ask jeeves. Type in ''can you make an apprentice redundant'' click UK only and when the list comes up click on the 5th one down volume 359. Not sure it helps but might be worth a read.

Gary
Old 21 December 2005, 04:11 PM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Volume 363 and 370 also apply if you do a search on that site.

Gary
Old 21 December 2005, 04:43 PM
Account deleted by request
Scooby Regular

Sorry to hear that, you have had a **** couple of weeks.

Hope all picks up soon.

chop
Old 21 December 2005, 04:50 PM
Dieseldog
Scooby Regular

... Shouldn't you be at work yourself, earning money to pay taxes to fund... er... Polish road building schemes .
Crappy thing to happen and a bad time of year. Hope he gets a new job soon.
Old 21 December 2005, 10:19 PM
Barnesy
Scooby Regular

When I was an apprentice 2 years ago if the employer made me redundant, the training provider who pay all the fees for college had to find me another apprenticeship with another company with similar propects etc.
Old 21 December 2005, 10:25 PM
Felix.
Scooby Regular

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts

More Bad News

Bye the way - did u make a complaint about you other son's assault...???
Old 21 December 2005, 10:38 PM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Neanderthal
He can't be made redundant and be replaced. They can only make you redundant if the job no longer exists?!?
Sorry for the lingo but that's utter bllx. All the company have to do is change the job title and description and then they're free to do what they want. I've seen it sooo many times with various corps.

Bad luck Jeff, you're having a time of it, but it's probably for the good for your son to find out this side of Christmas.

K.
Old 22 December 2005, 01:12 AM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

Someone I know was made redundant with about six months of his apprenticeship to go. He had a word with the powers that be and they let him finish it off without pay. Mind you, his family could afford to keep him .....
Old 22 December 2005, 08:09 AM
Reality
BANNED

King Tony wants us to all get to the lowest common demoninator in Europe.

You think it's bad now - just wait til the Turks join

If that ***** (or the tosser Brown who wants to send all our money to Africa) gets in again I will leave the UK to the ******* idiots that vote him in (Probably go to France and become a Farmer).

Bliars Legacy will be the first UK Prime Minister to see the Average wage go down in his third term.

Great Britain - My ****
Old 22 December 2005, 09:47 AM
RR
Scooby Regular

I was made redundent last friday the 16th of december, i am a 16 year time served heating engineer. Strange my company took on 50 engineers country wide this time last year and they are now newly qualified in the last month or so through local training schemes to get people of the dole. They get paid £7.00 per hr, i was on £11.25 per hr. Go figure.
Old 22 December 2005, 10:18 AM
filfy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by alcazar

If nowt comes up here, we'll have to widen the net to Doncaster and Grimsby, maybe even Hull in the New Year.

Alcazar
Nothing wrong with Hull

Hope he gets sorted for work soon.If not then maybe time for a change, drilling companys are screeming out for young lads to work off shore £27.000 ish a year to start with

Just a thought,pm me if intrested
Old 22 December 2005, 06:25 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

alcazar, this may be a cliché, but as well as your local paper, write to your MP. I'd have thought that a trainee getting kicked off a Govt-established apprenticeship to be replaced by central European immigrants would be an absolute grenade for any party.