Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

CLSM Live tour of Bath review (With pics again!) 18/12/05

Search this Thread

Old 20 December 2005, 10:17 PM
astraboy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool CLSM Live tour of Bath review (With pics again!) 18/12/05

It was that time again, with the memory of their last event still fresh in my mind (goats, chavbots and gaarganclactor featuring most prominantly), I again received the that would see me tanking down the M4 at a rate of knots. Why? to attend another CLSM event.

The CLSM are Hardcore's most random collective of producers and as you can imagine, thats up against some pretty stiff competiton. The self styled "Group of Unlimited Membership" is the only example I know who regularly take their music to the people and do it for free as well. Previous events have drawn me back to susequent ones like a moth to a lightbulb. Nevermind that most of them are located a good two hours away and all of them, without exception, involve me freezing my conkers off, I get myself down there cos its always worth it.

Especially so in this case, cos while the last event was 100% pre-recorded, this was the exact opposite. A series of live performances had been promised, all of them taking place in the open air and in the daytime as well. The days leading up to the event saw a rolling disclosure of the locations of the events via the medium of the internet. It would appear that The CLSM are nothing if not brave.

Thanks to UN resolution 374659, its laid down in the statute that you must be late for a CLSM event. I didnt want Hans Blix on my case (especially as I'd had a curry the night before) so I set off when I woke up, rolling into Bathford at about 9.30.

One phone call later and I set off again. Tanking down the A36 to make the third of five performances scheduled for today. I was gutted I missed the first two, especially when they consisted of an event described only as "The Sheep Gig" and another at a Skate Park, with "New World Order" and "Free Nigel Penguin" being played out respectivley at each. Alberts tower would make up for it though.

I arrive at the tower about 15 minutes before the performance was due to begin. This gave me a chance to look around before it did. A triangular tower in the middle of nowhere presents itself, as well as a few ramblers, utterly unaware of what was about to happen.

Some cars pull up and boots are opened. A case, a bin, a penguin and a laptop are unloaded and carried towards the tower. the PA rig is set up as literally some spectators turn up to watch the show.

And what a show it was, with Colin, Ned, and Jimmygoat all making an appearence as the finishing touches are made to the rig. All three of them take their positions and the performance begins. "Release me" is the tune for the moment and Jimmygoat wastes no time, setting off a smoke grenade and the surrounding area turns yellow.

Thereafter, it pandemonium. Nigel Penguin takes the worst of the punishment with him getting kicked, thrown, and generally abused throughout the afternoon. Ned and Jimmygoat make full use of the surroundings, making numerous laps of the tower as well as finding a stick to place nigel atop of, like some artic christmas tree fairy.

Once the single tune (only one to each performance here) has played out, The CLSM waste no time, departing as wuickly as they arrive. I make a run for the carpark and make educated guesses about what their route is once I am underway. Just when I think I've lost them, I see where they have got to. They are in a layby, setting up.

A layby is hardly the most prestegious of venues, but The CLSM dont seem to care. They rapidly set up before ripping into another single tune performance. A remix of "John Peel is not Enough" is the choice this time and its all the invitation Ned and Jimmygoat need.

4 minutes of bedlam ensue, with passing motorists being hailed by Ned as Jimmygoat weaves in and out of traffic, moving to the music. Nigel Penguin, for his troubles, is impaled on a stick and presented to the passing traffic, before being sat on a phone pole to ponder whether he was better off being banged up. However, he doesnt get a chance as the tune is taken down, the equipment taken apart and the pole rendered penguinless.

I thought it was all over at this point, but how wrong could I be? The CLSM depart after their latest performance and I clearly hear them shouting "Illegal rave in a field!". I follow them, hoping they mean nothing literally.

Not so much a field, but a rugby pitch and cricket ground is the next target. Upon arrival, Jimmygoat exclaims "This is where me and Ned went to school!", but education of a different sort is on the curriculum today.

Technically they were right. With an amplified system playing a sucession of repetitive electronic beats (or the remix of "Sensory Vision" to be specific), all the potential of the next Castle Morton was there, but it was the lack of 150,000 ravers that let it down a bit. Ned and Jimmygoat made up in intensity for what they lacked in numbers.

The moment the breakdown of the tune came in they were off, hurtling round the field as if their lives depended on it and making light work of the long distance penguin passes that were necessary on a field this size. What the two cyclists who passed the rave midway through the performance made of it was anybodies guess, but I was too busy laughing myself hoarse at the whole rediculous specticle.

Last on the list was a trip down memory lane. No live music this time, but a visit to a former member of The CLSM, quite possibly their only member to be made from three tons of sheet metal and some stickers, The Munkii Truck.

As soon as its sighted, Jimmygoat grabs Nigel Penguin and is off. Not stopping for anyone until he reaches his destination. Once he is atop the Munkii Truck he plonks Nigel Penguin on a metal outcrop and sits himself down on the bonnet.

Jimmygoat is usually quite verbose during these events, but during his time on the Munkii Truck, he does not say a word. Chosing only to stike a variety of random poses and contemplate his time he had to spend with his former companion. It was obvious my day with The CLSM was at an end and rather than disturb his thoughts, I leave him sitting there. For all I know he is still there.

Right, pictures!
Please log out to enjoy them in the thread, otherwise, click away!

astraboy.
Old 20 December 2005, 10:33 PM
yoza
BANNED

Your illness is becoming more apparent.

Far to many Mitzies have been consumed in your lifetime.

Im glad your enjoying yourself, and you will always have the photos as a reminder for yourself in years to come.....
Old 20 December 2005, 10:36 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

Quite amusing....we used to have all nighters at Alfred's Tower after seeing Producer et al at UFO Club in longleat.

Happy days