Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

King Kong

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2005, 01:20 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default King Kong

Saw this yesterday with my son (5 yrs)....superb!

Bit slow at first but then goes mental for the last 2 thirds.....i nver liked the LOTR so havent seen a decent CGI assisted film in a while.....this was like seeing Jurassic Park for the first time - The bit where they make Kong laugh (which is more scary than funny) deserves an effects oscar!

One for the BIG screen!

T

ps- 12A is the rating and it's prob about right! My 5 year old wasnt keen on the natives smashing peoples skulls in with axes! although when Kong gets to the top of the Empire State Building and they pull back for a wide angle shot of him up there he stood up from his seat and mummbled "fantastic" while leaning forward for a closer look (we were only 4 rows from the front!!!)
Old 19 December 2005, 01:21 PM
sarasquares
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i am watching the old version in black and white atm.............
Old 19 December 2005, 01:26 PM
jamin
Scooby Regular

I saw it yesterday and enjoyed it, (grandad mode) but thought there were parts not suitable for kids..I saw one lad with a dummy in his mouth, do people not pay any notice to the ratings these days? Parents/Cinema staff?
Old 19 December 2005, 01:30 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
its a pretty good re-make, they even kept the final line!

as for kids and dummies - ours was ok, in fact my lad was prob the youngest!

i would say its ok for 8/9 year olds+ as long as you have a good chat with them first to remember its only a movie! (my lad knew this because the bloke from School of Rock was in it and thats his favorite movie )
Old 19 December 2005, 01:33 PM
Cool Chick
Scooby Regular

Am going to see it this week and am really looking forward to it! To be honest, I didnt really fancy it that much until I saw a trailer for it at the Harry Potter film, but it looked great!
Old 19 December 2005, 01:52 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Cool Chick
Am going to see it this week and am really looking forward to it! To be honest, I didnt really fancy it that much until I saw a trailer for it at the Harry Potter film, but it looked great!

well worth it - have read some odd stuff on IMDB about it like "why were there dinosaurs in it"....which is like asking why there were spaceships in Starwars! watching the original is a good idea as its suppose to be a re-make so knowing that you'd think IMDB posters wouldnt need to ask "but could a building REALLY support a large ape?"
Old 19 December 2005, 01:56 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Its amazing!! Its got to be one of the best films i've ever seen! I could watch it over and over!! Its about 3 hours long but its definately worth watching, the effects and everything are just so good. Girlies, definately take a box of tissues!!..

Carla..
Old 19 December 2005, 01:58 PM
Gav
Scooby Regular

I thought it was awesome, one of the best films i've seen in ages!! the effects on Kong were truely stunning, the way they can make him look so agressive one second and then really sad the next! And the fight scene with the T-Rex's is amazing! Miss Scoobygav was crying for about the last 3rd as were most of the other females! Can understand why though I'm going to watch it again

Gav..
Old 19 December 2005, 02:02 PM
jowl
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by sarasquares
Did you watch Son of Kong before it?

I'm recording them both
Old 19 December 2005, 02:25 PM
Southern Guy
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by miss*scoobygav555*
Girlies, definately take a box of tissues!!..

Carla..
And some of the blokes.....

Saw this yesterday with my niece and nephew, they loved it, except some of the native violence, they are 6 and 9. but the end is quite sad I didnt cry but i think some blokes might!!

Great film though, was quite slow at first but finished really well! great one!
Old 19 December 2005, 02:49 PM
v8voodoo
Scooby Regular

Saw it last night, great film.
Thoroughly enjoyed it and yup... my gf had watery eyes..!!
Old 19 December 2005, 03:01 PM
miss*scoobygav555*
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Southern Guy

Saw this yesterday with my niece and nephew, they loved it, except some of the native violence, they are 6 and 9. but the end is quite sad I didnt cry but i think some blokes might!!

Great film though, was quite slow at first but finished really well! great one!
Oh sorry, yes, you blokes should take tissues too!! So, so sad! The bf (scoobygav555) was near tears!!

Carla..
Old 19 December 2005, 03:01 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by v8voodoo
Saw it last night, great film.
Thoroughly enjoyed it and yup... my gf had watery eyes..!!

all this talk of the sad ending.......the only thing that i would have changed about the whole film would be to take 50% of the plane battle out, would have made it sadder, everyone knows whats coming so seeing the planes on route to Kong...knowing he hasnt got long - thats the gut wrencher, not seeing him fight them off for 20 mins. Depends if you want a sad bit, or another CGI fest (it was great scene!)

for me, i had seen enough CGI and wanted a scene like Platoon where Dafoe gets shoot......it needed more "inevatibiity" about the scene - less Kong "standing his ground"......in fact, had you not known the story you may have thought he was gonna make it
Old 19 December 2005, 03:05 PM
RichWalk
Scooby Regular

He dies in the end
Old 19 December 2005, 03:16 PM
Scrappy9
Scooby Regular

Thanks, wont bother going then.
Old 19 December 2005, 03:17 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tiggs
all this talk of the sad ending.......the only thing that i would have changed about the whole film would be to take 50% of the plane battle out, would have made it sadder, everyone knows whats coming so seeing the planes on route to Kong...knowing he hasnt got long - thats the gut wrencher, not seeing him fight them off for 20 mins. Depends if you want a sad bit, or another CGI fest (it was great scene!)

for me, i had seen enough CGI and wanted a scene like Platoon where Dafoe gets shoot......it needed more "inevatibiity" about the scene - less Kong "standing his ground"......in fact, had you not known the story you may have thought he was gonna make it
Is this not the point tho' ?

Assuming you don't know the plot - and I'm sure there will be people seeing this film that don't - you wouldn't want to have sussed the ending 20 mins beforehand.
Old 19 December 2005, 03:50 PM
16vmarc
Scooby Regular

I went to see it too last night. I quite enjoyed it, there were definatly Peter Jackson/LOTR moments if you looked for them! Agreed that the film was a bit slow to begin with, but it needed to explain why they were there in the first place!

The scenes with Kong and the dinosaurs were amazing and the scene with the stampeding dinosaurs was an edge of seat moment! I ended up feeling sorry for the dinosaurs when Kong fought them though!!

I think the scene with the primatives should have been longer, or atleast show them again! And the fact that they didnt explain how they dragged Kong back to New York let it down for me!!

Longer than i epected too!
Old 19 December 2005, 03:53 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Originally Posted by Southern Guy

they loved it, except some of the native violence,
Agree, the first encounter with the natives is rather graphic and slightly disturbing

But overall a superb film and pretty faithful to old black and white version, better then thet **** with Jessica Lange

Just to add, if you didn't know Kong dies it's like thinking Titanic didn't sink
Old 19 December 2005, 04:12 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
Is this not the point tho' ?

Assuming you don't know the plot - and I'm sure there will be people seeing this film that don't - you wouldn't want to have sussed the ending 20 mins beforehand.

i am assuming Titanic, JFK and Revenge of the Sith had some pretty shocking plot lines for you as well

EVERYONE knows the monkey gets it.....they could have focused on what a crule, sensless act the final killing is and not made it a hardcore FX trip (although it was still great)
Old 19 December 2005, 04:17 PM
richiewong
Twatful

Old 19 December 2005, 04:30 PM
Fuchsrohre
Scooby Regular

totally agree - thought the movie was fantastic! My girlfriend even had a tear in her eye at the end.

Incidentally the computer game is pretty good too! I'd played it through to completion and its not often I can say that.
Old 19 December 2005, 04:34 PM
corradoboy
Scooby Regular

Red face

Originally Posted by jowl
I'm recording them both
I'm in trouble Taped it for the missus whilst in bed (nightshift) and when I got up I rewound a couple of mins to check and it's foobared Fine for the 1st 1'20" and then it all goes like if you try and copy a protected DVD. Tried recording something else on the end and that's fine so it isn't the machine or the tape

I'm gonna get it in the ear tonight
Old 20 December 2005, 04:33 PM
Reality
BANNED

Great Film. Not sure about some of the more graphic scenes being suitable for younger kids - Some of the stuff had my missus and her pal squirming and squealing (you know the ones if you've seen it) and they could upset younger viewers.

12a About right .
Old 20 December 2005, 05:09 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Great Film. Not sure about some of the more graphic scenes being suitable for younger kids - Some of the stuff had my missus and her pal squirming and squealing (you know the ones if you've seen it) and they could upset younger viewers.

12a About right .

thats chicks though...a hardy 5 year old boy can handle the odd T Rex
Old 20 December 2005, 05:12 PM
Reality
BANNED

thats chicks though...a hardy 5 year old boy can handle the odd T Rex
Exactly. Mind you - it was more the fun at the bottom of the ravine

I'll bet your son was hiding for that - unless he's as tough as nails like his Dad
Old 20 December 2005, 07:54 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Good film but some weird directoral bits. Every now and then it would go into slow motion, for no real reason. Also some of the scenes of Kong fighting on the island were done in that annoying 'fast jiggly' camera style where the whole things a blur and you feel like you're about to have an epi!!
Old 20 December 2005, 09:20 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Reality
Exactly. Mind you - it was more the fun at the bottom of the ravine

I'll bet your son was hiding for that - unless he's as tough as nails like his Dad

I belive the quote was "errrrrrrrrr....groosssss" (loud enough for half the cinema to hear )
Old 21 December 2005, 08:03 AM
Reality
BANNED

I belive the quote was "errrrrrrrrr....groosssss" (loud enough for half the cinema to hear )
The wife's pal was squirming and going "eughhhh" then grabbed by arm - nearly shat myself
Old 21 December 2005, 09:09 AM
Gidney&Knowlesy
Scooby Regular

75 minutes before seeing Kong was too long to wait.....there is anticipation, then boredom...

Once they hit the Island that was the start for me great CGI,liked the large lobster things (would love to order one of those in a restaurant) not so keen on the worm like creatures with teeth.....

And the daughter sat next to me all the way through "Kongs big isn't he Daddy" do you think I'll see one like him at the Zoo? Although she wasn't too happy about the ending as now he definately won't be at the Zoo.

With a small tear from her eye I had to tell her the next film will be called "Kong Lives".......

Great film, plenty for everyone, though I'll report back after Narnia
Old 22 December 2005, 10:43 AM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Saw this last night and it was a very impressive film.

Over 3hours long, but didnt seem like that - holds your attention.

One of the most impressive aspects IMO was the recreation of 1930's New York - this was done very well, in great detail, and didnt look like obvious CGI. Its clear it was a very expensive film to make, but all the money is up there on screen.

Quick Reply: King Kong