Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

homeless people

Search this Thread

Old 19 December 2005, 01:17 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default homeless people

Do you feel sorry for them....is it their own fault if theyre unwilling to move into hostels, etc.

are they a pain in the **** ???
Old 19 December 2005, 01:26 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Without knowing why they are homeless, it is difficult to say. Some I'm sure will have hard luck stories, however there will be a large number who through drink or drugs, are there because they chose to be and no I 'don't feel sorry for them.

My brother has just been kicked out of the hostel he was staying in, so I know a bit about this subject........No I don't feel sorry for him and when I saw him at the weekend I just wanted to hit him!!!

The families of these people are the real ones to feel sorry for. It is very hard for Mothers to see their children with no place to go, sleeping rough and stealing for a living.
Old 19 December 2005, 01:27 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

filthy rats, get of the street.To be honest, I think alot of them are lazy gits who have chosen to be in the position theyre in. But theres obviously exceptions, those who want to get of the street at least try, selling the big issues etc, theres hostels to go to etc. Some people just dont want the help. we got a tramp in town, sits on the high street right outside a bakery, Ive known this bakery to be there for years (well at least 10) and its since closed down since hes been sitting outside there all hours with his loose dog too.
Old 19 December 2005, 01:28 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140
Without knowing why they are homeless, it is difficult to say. Some I'm sure will have hard luck stories, however there will be a large number who through drink or drugs, are there because they chose to be and no I 'don't feel sorry for them.

My brother has just been kicked out of the hostel he was staying in, so I know a bit about this subject........No I don't feel sorry for him and when I saw him at the weekend I just wanted to hit him!!!

The families of these people are the real ones to feel sorry for. It is very hard for Mothers to see their children with no place to go, sleeping rough and stealing for a living.

I thin you hit the nail on the head pretty good!
Old 19 December 2005, 05:35 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A high proportion of them are mentally ill, so a hostel is actually a bad idea for them.

M
Old 19 December 2005, 08:05 PM
PG
Scooby Regular

My mother is a Nurse Practitioner with some kind of homeless setup. (yes I do show a lot of interest )
Some of the stories she has of how some of them have come to be homeless are quite upsetting others even she feels are a drain on resources !
Old 19 December 2005, 08:33 PM
pete1977
Scooby Regular

Homeless people are just like people with homes.You have good ones,bad ones,lazy ones,hard working ones,white ones,black ones,crazy ones,sane ones...etc.
The main difference is that they dont have a home.I judge people on merit,NOT on wether they have a house or not!
Old 19 December 2005, 09:43 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

I pity you, paul-s. You must be feeling pretty **** about yourself to want to give the most unfortunate people in society a kicking.
Old 19 December 2005, 09:58 PM
Petem95
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ140

DJ140, how did your brother get into the situation hes in? I mean, what led to him becoming homeless?

I find it difficult to see how people can actually get into this situation tbh.
Old 19 December 2005, 10:02 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95

That's because you live in a house, have a job, have family and friends who love you and don't abuse you, and are completely divorced from the reality of hardship, mental illness and misfortune.
Old 19 December 2005, 10:16 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

some "apperent" homeless arsehole was hassling me in amsterdam this weekend gone

following me around trying to sell me sum paper
was nice to him at first and let him say his bit, then when he kept walking after us rabbiting on about "most people dont want a paper but it helps out us homeless" i told him to **** off

WTF do i want a dutch paper for? i cant speak/read dutch
****en scruffy toerag, worst bit was he did not even "seam" dutch to us, perfect english accent etc etc

i once give a "tramp" a tenner just before christmas a good few years ago, actually made me feel quite decent when i did it, then everybody had a go at me as he was "bound to spend it on booze and drugs"
looking back it was probably the wrong thing to do

if i was in the position that i had nothing, i would do any job i could to make sum cash, i would scrub toilets for cash in hand stuff if it helped me get off the streets.
Old 19 December 2005, 10:27 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Just while we're on the subject of the "spirit of Christmas", there are 2.2 billion children in this world. Over 1 billion live in poverty. That's half. That's shocking.
Old 19 December 2005, 11:05 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Bubba po
I pity you, paul-s. You must be feeling pretty **** about yourself to want to give the most unfortunate people in society a kicking.
Far from it, i do sympathise with those that are unfortunate. I was watching a news report on homeless people over christmas.

What i do not like are those that beg and steal to buy ****, sit in your way and annoy you, and those that will not move into a roof under their head out of preference for the streets

care to enlighten me ?
Old 19 December 2005, 11:11 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Why would they have a roof *under* their heads? That wouldn't protect them from the elements.

And why do I need to enlighten you? You didn't ask me a question.

Come on, fella. Tell us why you feel that people who for one reason or another are homeless are worthy of this thread. You started it, let's hear your philosophy. Is it enough that they annoy you because they get in your way? Perhaps you could get a group of like-minded associates together and "move them on".
Old 19 December 2005, 11:18 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Over, under - all the same

The tramps iv come across recently just sit there and drink, smoke and stink. I feel sorry for those that are in a bad situation but what does get on my nips are those that stand and sell the big issue then go and buy 10 stella's. They look at you like you havent got a heart !!

The opportunity can be there to go into hostels but they refuse and hog benches instead
Old 19 December 2005, 11:20 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

There does seem to be a few "pseudo-homeless" who sit & beg on streets to make money, and they do seem to make quite a bit for it....albeit by having to beg to attain this, which has to be demeaning. This certainly used to be the case in Edinburgh, but don't know if these types have "moved on".

However, aside from these "psuedo-homeless", I don't believe that anyone would CHOOSE to live their life on a street day and , especially, night. I'm sure the majority have rather sad & unfortunate backgrounds, maybe of their own making, and more than probably difficult to recover from.

Quite easy, I imagine, to sit in your warm comfy sofa at night and point out the error of their ways, and ask really how hard would it be to pick up a job in the morning to allow one to sort out their lifes once & for all.

The problem is social background, mental issues, and physical barriers once a member of the "vagrant society". The welfare state as I understand it is there to help them, but often the rules that go along with that just don't seem to fit in. Their fault? Difficult to apportion blame.

The point is, solving the problem of the "homeless" isn't quite as simple as a warm bed, a job, and some food. Be nice if it was.
Old 19 December 2005, 11:22 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

It just made me think seeing it on the news, that why are they not eager to do something about their situation ??
Old 19 December 2005, 11:27 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
The opportunity can be there to go into hostels but they refuse and hog benches instead
Seems simple huh.

The trouble is, hostels have to have rules just like anywhere else in society. Combine a hostel full of people with mental/alcohol/drug issues, and you can't let it run as an anarchy. Rules have to be in place. Maybe life is just easier without rules at that level. Who knows.

Sadly, if you're at the lowest of the low in terms of society, what respect do you have for rules? Combine some mental issues (depression, addiction, self-esteem etc), throw in some physical traits (addiction, etc), and you've not got a bunch of people who are highly motivated to escape from this demeaning cycle.

Perhaps that is why a bench is more appealing.....have a wee think about it.
Old 19 December 2005, 11:29 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

It just made me think seeing it on the news, that why are they not eager to do something about their situation ??
Ever been severely depressed?
Ever not been able to see life beyond your next can of Special Brew?
Ever not been able to wonder what life is like without heroin?
Ever not seen the point of life?
Old 19 December 2005, 11:31 PM
Bubba po
Scooby Regular

Talking

Originally Posted by imlach
Ever been severely depressed?
Ever not been able to see life beyond your next can of Special Brew?
Ever not been able to wonder what life is like without heroin?
Ever not seen the point of life?
I sincerely hope he doesn't have to suffer any of those things.
Old 19 December 2005, 11:36 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Why not try to get some voluntary work in a hostel this Christmas and see what you can do to help?
Old 20 December 2005, 03:00 AM
Billbill
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Too bad more people cannot be made aware of this thread.
Excellent responses from many of you.
When intellect and compassion are combined there are great possibilities within the human race.
Unfortunately, it seems that the uncaring and self centered are in control of most of the world.
Old 20 December 2005, 09:05 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Petem95
DJ140, how did your brother get into the situation hes in? I mean, what led to him becoming homeless?

Soft drugs in late teens, followed by Heroin. My parents have sent him for counselling, 6 months in their house in France, he came back clean from this then straight back onto them.

My parents have supported him as much as possible for 15 years, but have now concluded that he is not capable of giving up his "lifestyle" and no longer provide him with anything.
Old 20 December 2005, 09:45 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

How many people as kids ever thought they we're hard done by and thought about running away when looking back on it was a stupid thing to think off..... Some kids had more b0ll0cks than others and will actually run away, before they know it they introduced into a life of drugs, begging, booze etc and they get lost in the world of the homeless.

It happens, these people didnt need to be homeless but once your there I understand how hard it is to get out of it again, self pride effects alot of these people.

There are people from all ways of life who get dragged into poor situations and alot of them do not help themselves and expect others to do it for them.

Would you put someone up in your house to do a good deed? bet you wouldnt.
Old 20 December 2005, 10:11 AM
Gutmann pug
Scooby Regular

Personally I feel sorry for them everytime I see them. They are in a downward spiral with no way out.

Its easy to judge when you have a nice warm house, car, food, etc.

No I dont know their circumstances and to be honest i'm sure alot of them are pretty dire. It doesn't stop me from feeling bad about it when I see them though. I also throw them the odd 50p every now and then. If they spend it on beer thats up to them.......

Gary
Old 20 December 2005, 10:25 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I feel sorry for them in the main. I used to be of the mindset that they should try and better themselves, but as Gary says its easy for us to say that when we have homes, a base from where to better ourselves.

If you have nothing, and live on the streets how are you supposed to get a job?

Think about it, you're living rough, you smell and have 1 set of clothes, what would you physically do to change your life? You cant get spruced up and go for a job interview, you probably have no friends and family for help, and IMO its just a downward spiral.

It is sad, but on the other hand its just how society works. We could all share what we have, but then the tables would turn.
Old 20 December 2005, 10:58 AM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

Think about it, you're living rough, you smell and have 1 set of clothes, what would you physically do to change your life?

Steal another set of clothes?!
Old 20 December 2005, 11:59 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Hardly making a better life for yourself though is it, and if they get caught even worse.
Old 20 December 2005, 12:05 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
Hardly making a better life for yourself though is it, and if they get caught even worse.
no, they get caught they'll end up a night in the cells with a roof over their heads

Quick Reply: homeless people