Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

NHS Dentist withdraws care

Search this Thread

Old 10 December 2005, 11:06 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NHS Dentist withdraws care

For many years I've been recieved private dental care as I've moved and not been able to find an NHS dentist. However my children have always received free care.

I received a leter this morning informing me that the practice that my family uses is withdrawing NHS care for everyone (they do have some NHS adult patients as well) as in their words "it is impossible to accept the new terms on offer from the Primary care trust and will therfore not be signing the new contract".

To be honest I'm livid, the amount of tax I pay and the sh1te that is spewed about better services by this government. They promised an NHS dentist for all, not only has that not happened but we are going backwards.

I watched PM's questions the other day, and the number of times Tony Blair ranted about the amount of investment in Education and Health made my blood boil. My eldest comes home with a letter every day begging for money through fundraising at school, buying cakes, donating cakes, tombola sales, book sales and so on, I don't remember it being the case when i went to school!

Rant over
Old 10 December 2005, 11:15 AM
V1CK1
Scooby Regular

Lets hope peolpe learn from their mistakes and vote correctly next time
Old 10 December 2005, 11:15 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting ..... my Dentist of 20 years offered me DenPlan or leave, he would, however, still support my daughter under the NHS.

I found a NHS Dentist in the next village and left my daughter with our 'old' dentist - I am yet to see if he refuses to see my daughter anymore

It's a mess ...... I'm not sure what the new contract details are but as I understand it, it offers a salary - in a similar way to your GP?

We need to end the drill and fill culture I grew up in - pay Dentists to look after patients rather than looking for a tooth to fill, as thats currently the only root (forgive the pun) to money.

Pete
Old 10 December 2005, 11:26 AM
Simon C
Scooby Regular

Don't worry, the government will realize what a mistakes been made when all the experianced dentists retire, its not that long in the offing.

Sadly it will be too late by then.
Old 10 December 2005, 11:34 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

You should consider yourtself lucky to have had an NHS dentist for so long. Mine was forced to go onto Denplan after when he was called out for emorgencey treatment one weekend he was left with a clear profit of £3.50p after an whole day's work which incorporated having to transport a mobile clinic too! This was 3 years ago and nothing has improved. So much for my National Insurance!

Billy will say only what suits his programme to say and whatever might improve his chances of leaving us with a "legacy" of his PM-ship!

When he says it , it won't mean that anything will actually happen to improve the situation of course!

Les
Old 10 December 2005, 12:01 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

"Tony Blair pledged in his 1999 party conference speech that everyone would be able to see an NHS dentist within two years. This promise was repeated in the government's NHS Plan in July 2000.

Lies, lies and more lies from Tony B Liar.

Chip
Old 10 December 2005, 12:08 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Just out of interest ..... what would you consider a 'reasonable' wage for a Dentist?

Because I think you would be shocked at the difference in what you think is reasonable and what a Dentist thinks .... the Private route can offer those expectations for Dentists, the public purse doesn't want to pay that, hence the problem.

Pete
Old 10 December 2005, 02:18 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by pslewis
Just out of interest ..... what would you consider a 'reasonable' wage for a Dentist?

Because I think you would be shocked at the difference in what you think is reasonable and what a Dentist thinks .... the Private route can offer those expectations for Dentists, the public purse doesn't want to pay that, hence the problem.

Pete

For a General Dental Practitioner (GDP) typical earnings for a full-time, self-employed GDP are around £77,000 to £83,000 a year

Chip
Old 10 December 2005, 02:22 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

To be honest. We've been private for years. Its not like its an every year expense even! Brush and Floss and you'll be fine for ages.

So just get over it! Last time I went for a filling was about 4-5 years ago and that was near £100 or so. Hardly a wallet buster...
Old 10 December 2005, 03:08 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

At this moment in time NHS dentist's get paid per item of treatment based on a scale of fees. An examaination fee = £*, an extraction = £*, a certain type of filling = £* and so on. From April 2006, dentist's who stay in the NHS will be paid a salary based on previous earnings. Many of them are unhappy with the changes that are coming and are therefore leaving the NHS and taking on private work.
Old 10 December 2005, 03:11 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rr_ww
To be honest. We've been private for years. Its not like its an every year expense even! Brush and Floss and you'll be fine for ages.

So just get over it! Last time I went for a filling was about 4-5 years ago and that was near £100 or so. Hardly a wallet buster...
I disagree mate, to someone on a very low income, a £100 filling could well be a wallet buster.
Old 10 December 2005, 03:33 PM
_RIP_
BANNED

pslewis, you're very quiet when a NL failing actually starts affecting your own family. No insults or overuse of the smiley from you now eh? Let’s just face it, NL are cr@p. Why don’t you blame the dentists? How dare they refuse such a great offer from billy bookdeal.
Old 10 December 2005, 04:20 PM
NXG
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Chip
"Tony Blair pledged in his 1999 party conference speech that everyone would be able to see an NHS dentist within two years. This promise was repeated in the government's NHS Plan in July 2000.

Lies, lies and more lies from Tony B Liar.

Chip
He was referring to the waiting list to get an appointment. Quite an ambitious target really considering how badly he's bu@@ered the thing up ..
Old 10 December 2005, 05:22 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by _RIP_
pslewis, you're very quiet when a NL failing actually starts affecting your own family. No insults or overuse of the smiley from you now eh? Let’s just face it, NL are cr@p. Why don’t you blame the dentists? How dare they refuse such a great offer from billy bookdeal.
Eh??

A great offer to me might not be a great offer to a Dentist earning £150k privately!

Thats why I asked what you would think was a reasonable wage - anyone know what Labour is offering? Do you think it's fair?

Pete
Old 10 December 2005, 05:41 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Pete,
Sometimes life isnt fair.

Chip
Old 10 December 2005, 05:53 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by rr_ww

wake up and smell the coffee...

i certainly cant throw £100 for a fill and scale. nor can a vast number of the popeulation

Mart
Old 10 December 2005, 05:53 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i stopped going to the dentist when i left school and had to pay for it

look after your teeth and the dentist should not have to do much work
its easy enough, you just have to clean then properly and hope your wisdoms don't "go funny"

had no problems myself, actually now i think about it, its been over 10 years since i have been to the dentist

if you need fillings and stuff, your ovb a dirty skank who cant look after themselves
Old 10 December 2005, 05:56 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by mart360
wake up and smell the coffee...

i certainly cant throw £100 for a fill and scale. nor can a vast number of the popeulation

Mart
that is because your stacking shelves?
most people who stack shelves are probably still in education and getting stuff for free/cheaper?

£100 for a dentist bill is not bad when most people in this thread can spend that easy in fuel, on there cash wasting scooby ??
Old 10 December 2005, 05:56 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

I would say a wage comparative to a lawyer or good accountant should be okay.

The whole system is a disgrace though.Paying tax and then not getting the service.
Old 10 December 2005, 06:01 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
that is because your stacking shelves?
most people who stack shelves are probably still in education and getting stuff for free/cheaper?

£100 for a dentist bill is not bad when most people in this thread can spend that easy in fuel, on there cash wasting scooby ??

haha

if you recall, i dont have to go to the dentists, as such, apart from the new lower plate which i,m having made at the mo.. i dont actually have any teeth

prehaps if we didnt have the drill and fill brigade, i wouldnt be where i am today!!

Mart
Old 10 December 2005, 06:30 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Mart

Agree fully in what you say ..... my teeth are in a mess because of the DRILL & FILL dentists of the 50's, 60's and 70's

Fillings were done when not needed ......... to fund the Dentists living.

Nowadays, the modern Dentist doesn't actually want to drill and fill to earn a living - he/she would rather care for their patients and give alternatives ........ which is why I am staggered that they are up-in-arms about the Salary idea????

Pete
Old 10 December 2005, 06:55 PM
The Rani
Scooby Regular

I have an NHS dentist. She also always gives the prices for private work as well when I need any treatment and, believe me, the prices aren't always all that different.

Having said that, for years my daughter couldn't find an NHS dentist where she lives and used to end up doing a 240 mile round trip every time she wanted to go to the dentist.
Old 10 December 2005, 08:26 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

my wife has a trench filling, wonder why??

if you had work like that done on other parts of your body would you be that happy...

why do you have to have a scale and polish every time you go??

as i have said before, due to earlier problems with dentists (sheer terror)

and aggresive methods (i kid you not) i get really rankled, when they put there

"we know best " approach on, when its in direct conflict to what the patient wants. several times, i have got up from the chair, despite taking a major effort to get to that stage, because the dentist overrode my wishes.

i appreciate its not the easiest proffesion in the world, but when someone says stop or no they mean stop or no!!!

Mart
Old 11 December 2005, 09:30 AM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Mart

I tell the Dentist that I do NOT want a scale and polish ............. they get all huffy

Its a fact that a scale and polish gives me trouble for weeks after - and I do NOT want it.

They do 'assume' that you want whatever they wish to do - a scale and polish is a quick, easy earner ......... just a basic 'check-up' isn't friendly to their pay packet.

Pete
Old 11 December 2005, 01:19 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

What is the salary for a part time nuclear missile scientist PSL? And do we get real value from our money?

If you are on a low wage or a pensioner then £100 for a filling is unaffordable and is a great disappointment if you have spent your working life paying National Insurance.

We are all fed up of the lies told by your hero and his rather queer cronies PSL!

Les
Old 11 December 2005, 01:59 PM
Andy W STI
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Chip
For a General Dental Practitioner (GDP) typical earnings for a full-time, self-employed GDP are around £77,000 to £83,000 a year

I Think you'll find that these figures are really a little over ambitious.

As for the salary, PS Lewis, this depends on the dentist reaching TARGETS!

You guessed it the dentist will need to reach target figures for fillings etc.

This would appear to be a major step backwards, the salary allows no investment for new equipment etc.

This is not the way to a quality health service.

Last edited by Andy W STI; 11 December 2005 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11 December 2005, 02:21 PM
Rapid17
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Andy W STI
I Think you'll find that these figures are really a little over ambitious.

As for the salary, PS Lewis, this depends on the dentist reaching TARGETS!

You guessed it the dentist will need to reach target figures for fillings etc.

This would appear to be a major step backwards, the salary allows no investment for new equipment etc.

This is not the way to a quality health service.
No, those figures are not over ambitious. Believe me, i know. I know of one dentist who earned around one hundred thousand pounds in a year on the NHS and only worked a four day week. Of course, they do have to deduct expenses for running a surgery etc but if there are several practitioners in partnership the expenses are shared. Some NHS dentists earn a hell of a lot more than one hundred thousand pounds.
Old 12 December 2005, 11:50 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

The whole point of my post was about the fact my children will no longer be receiving free dental care. I've long accepted that as an adult I'll have to pay .