Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

MIDI sequencing on PC for beginner

Search this Thread

Old 08 December 2005, 09:16 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MIDI sequencing on PC for beginner

I started up another thread last week about grabbing the breaks on some of my old records and thanks to all the help I had on there, I tried a few things out and liked the feel of Acid Pro, which is what I'm using now for sampling and looping.

Now it strikes me that it basically only deals with audio editing and arrangement. What programs with a similar look/feel/ease of use will get me into MIDI sequencing so I can run my TR707 and DX11 and other outboard hardware through a USB MIDI interface? Sound Forge seems to be just a fancy version of Acid Pro with more stuff you can edit.

I see a lot of mention of VST and Rewire, what is all this stuff about? Are they a way of linking and controlling one program with another? What about these software based TB303 and Moog emulators? How can I work with them and say, play their sounds by using the DX11 I'll have hooked up to the PC?

Cheers!
Old 09 December 2005, 02:00 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Cubase...or logic.
Logic has a steeper learning curve but cubase isnt too hard to master the basics.
Get a later version and you have virtual synths built in too
Old 09 December 2005, 05:31 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Cubasis is pretty cheap and will do what you want and is very popular. I use something called Tracktion (available from Mackie www.mackie.com) which is very cool and is cross platform so I can take stuff from Mac to PC and back if I need to.

The soft synths you are talking about all use a technology created by Steinberg called Virtual Synth Technology so most soft-synths/effects programs are VST plug-ins that run in a VST 'host' such as Cubasis or FLStudio.

Cheers

Gary
Old 09 December 2005, 05:44 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

You get what you pay for in this game.

Cubase SX while it's more expensive does *everything* in one package, and does it all very well indeed. Plus, it will host all the VSTis you could ever handle. You could dump your old hardware too as the Virtual Instruments that are around now will sound far better. All you would need is a usb keyboard to input your playing.
Old 09 December 2005, 09:58 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

So basically go for some version of Cubase which will then work with any VST plug-ins and do the MIDI sequencing I need. How do I then put the loop-based sounds of Acid Pro in with the MIDI work from Cubase? Can Cubase control both programs?
Old 09 December 2005, 10:52 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

I use Logic Pro 7.1 - high end Mac package, sadly not available on PC now.

Your only 'real' option is Cubase SL or SX (with score writing)

Drop me an email - might be able to help

Dan (www.daproductions.co.uk)
Old 10 December 2005, 12:46 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Sorry disagree UB, most entry level sequencers will host a large number of VSTs and something like cubasis last time I looked handled 256 MIDI tracks and 64 audio more than enough for a beginner, a £500 package like Cubase SX is simply overkill. All the time the entry level products just get better and better, Tracktion what I use which costs £100 can do stuff like freezing tracks, something you used to only find on something high end products like Logic Pro.
Old 10 December 2005, 12:52 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
Your only 'real' option is Cubase SL or SX (with score writing) (www.daproductions.co.uk)
Not true.

I run Cakewalk Sonar (only producer edition 3, it's now up to version 5), having tried Cubasis and trial version of Cubase, I preferred Cakewalk. It can handle all the software synth, VST plug-ins etc. It's also very friendly with its handling of loops, which you can just import in and fiddle with in whatever way you like.

Whilst you can argue either way as to which is "the best", Sonar is a real option.
Old 10 December 2005, 12:57 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Hell i still use cubase 3.01 on the atari st (expanded to a whopping 4meg memory) as my main sequencer..... triggering loads of hardware

Have logic 5.5.1, cubase sx and ableton 5 on pc, along with stuff like FM7 ( software rendition of a DX7) and other virtual synths. Like the software stuff but not a patch on the hardware

Last edited by Freak; 10 December 2005 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10 December 2005, 01:08 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

And if you're not going proffessional stuff, but want acid loop support, VST etc, etc have a look at the £100 version here. Same as Cubase SX is probably overkill at £500, Cakewalk Sonar 5 Producer Edition is probably overkill at £500.
Old 10 December 2005, 04:14 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

My mistake - I keep thinking that anybody who watns to get into this, wants to do it properly (ie professionally)

Whilst Sonar is another option, and I'm sure it's very good, you simply can't beat Cubase for a user-support network (cubase.net) - and this is coming from somebody who personally finds Cubase so SLOWWWWW to use.

The support network is what you need when first starting out.

Dan
Old 10 December 2005, 07:24 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Talking

Of course, silly me. What's the point of driving a competition bred, turbo charged STi when a Nissan Micra will get you there just the same.

What was I thinking??
Old 11 December 2005, 11:44 AM
hades
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo555
My mistake - I keep thinking that anybody who watns to get into this, wants to do it properly (ie professionally)

Whilst Sonar is another option, and I'm sure it's very good, you simply can't beat Cubase for a user-support network (cubase.net) - and this is coming from somebody who personally finds Cubase so SLOWWWWW to use.

The support network is what you need when first starting out.

Dan
The interesting thing with that is that Cakewalk.com has about double the number of posts on their forums that cubase.net has, so I'd suggest it has comparable support network too.

ub - what's the point of driving an STi when you could have a Veyron / Zonda F / McClaren F1 etc? You have to draw the line somewhere, and STi's aren't even nearly the top of the tree - pick the level that's right for you, and goes with your supporting kit. Why spend £500 on software if the £100 version has all the funcitons you need, you have no midi gear and no recording equipment?

Last edited by hades; 11 December 2005 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11 December 2005, 12:15 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

LOL this thread is really getting going!

Well I definitely WANT to use my 707 and my DX11 - I can already program both and I don't need to relearn anything, plus my DX11 will work as a controller keyboard anyway. So I'll be getting a MIDI breakout box of some sort to do the job, probably a 2in/2out USB sort of thing.

But yes basically what I need is both MIDI and audio recording and playback, VST capability and ACID loop handling. It would help if whatever I decide on comes with automated 'walkthroughs' for the beginner.

Lastly, once I've got my VST capable sequencer, are there any recommended VST plug-ins for emulating analogue synths and a TB303 in particular?
Old 11 December 2005, 12:31 PM
hades
Scooby Regular

The version of Sonar I own (Producer edition 3 - i.e. an older version of their £500 product) has a set of tutorials built in, as well as a very heft manual with some step by step guides. I'd be surprised if equivalent versons of Cubase don't have something similar, but I don't own it so can't check. You can download trial versions of some of the Cakewalk products from Cakewalk.com (easy to find from the "downloads" menu), Cubase do a downloadable demo - from steinberg.de - showing you how it works (and maybe trial versions but I can't see them obviously).

I'm not trying to say Sonar is better - I honestly believe that either Cakewalk or Cubase will do a version, offer support etc, that can cope with whatever you'll need to do. It really is a case of getting the one that "feels" right to you, and gives enough features for the money you want to spend. I'd also check out both cubase.net and cakewalk.net forums to get some opinions from users of both packages.
Old 11 December 2005, 12:53 PM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick Read
Lastly, once I've got my VST capable sequencer, are there any recommended VST plug-ins for emulating analogue synths and a TB303 in particular?

There you go, fill your boots.
I still cannot get my head around how software can recreate these classic synths so realistically.

http://www.audiorealism.se/

http://www.native-instruments.com/in...d=synthline_us

http://www.gmediamusic.com/

http://www.novationmusic.com/product...pe=2&bArchive=
Old 11 December 2005, 01:56 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

rebirth

rubber duck

IIRC Cubase SX comes with something like a 303 anyway..... (don't quote me though - I know nothing!! )
Dan
Old 11 December 2005, 01:58 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick Read

You can sync rebirth to it.... 909, 808 and two 303s
Oh and rebirth is free
Old 13 December 2005, 08:34 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Nice one, cheers all!