Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Looping / sampling software recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2005, 07:38 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looping / sampling software recommendations?

I'm thinking about starting to make some music on my PC but first things first - I've got tons of old records and CDs that are full of incredible breaks that I'd like to sample and then use as drum loops.

Problem is, I can't find a single program for the PC that will do this seemingly simple task. All I want is to be able to either stick a CD directly in the drive or plug in my turntable, then just press play, wait for the break to come up, then be able to sample and loop it.

I've found programs that do much much more than that, but they all seem to be based around the fact that you've already got a short break that you want to work on. Plus they're all crippled in some way anyway so you can't save or use your own samples etc. I'm not interested in mucking about with someone else's samples. I want to grab my own!

The only other thing I could think of was to go proper old school and buy an Akai S1000 or something, but this is the 21st century, surely nowadays we can do it all in software?

Help!
Old 28 November 2005, 07:40 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

I'm pretty sure Fruity Loops (or is it Frooty Loops, can't remember) should be able to do what you want and it has an amazing range of plug-in's and effects.
Old 29 November 2005, 12:17 AM
NWMark
Scooby Regular

try cooledit its a good application of sound recording and editting tools.

Mark
Old 29 November 2005, 12:01 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick Read

The only other thing I could think of was to go proper old school and buy an Akai S1000 or something, but this is the 21st century, surely nowadays we can do it all in software?

Help!
There's nothing to beat hardware PC's are good (well, not compared to Macs ), but you're at the mercy of how good your soundcard is.
At least with a hardware device, you get dedicated audio outputs

I've got soft samplers (as part of Logic Pro7) but I alwasy use my Kurzweil, Akai adn Emu - I do lots of sampling

Dan
Old 29 November 2005, 12:17 PM
VinPetrol
Scooby Regular

Cool

I would get a decent soundcard, then try a software product like cubase or soundforge. thats what i use, does a cracking job.
Old 29 November 2005, 12:25 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by VinPetrol
I would get a decent soundcard, then try a software product like cubase or soundforge. thats what i use, does a cracking job.
Yep. Pricey and fairly advanced though. A cheap and widely used alternative that is designed specifically for what you have in mind is Sonic Foundry's Acid Pro.

In fact there's even a cheap and cheerful version to get you going:

http://www.gear4music.com/index.php?...7ffa1be9c53255
Old 29 November 2005, 02:15 PM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

Problem is, I can't find a single program for the PC that will do this seemingly simple task. All I want is to be able to either stick a CD directly in the drive or plug in my turntable, then just press play, wait for the break to come up, then be able to sample and loop it.
You're kidding theres hundreds! Probably too many to make an informed choice. As mentioned above Fruity Loops (now FLStudio) is a pretty impressive piece of kit and you can download a trial and its not expensive. head on over to www.kvraudio.com a quick search on samplers for looping gave me 50 results so shows theres plenty of scope. Acid is very good for working with loops but is not free. Most of the software you will have to pay for albeit at a very small cost and most have demos you can get hold of. You could also go onto the forums at www.computermusic.co.uk and ask the same question there. And yes an old 16bit S1000 is way old now compared to whats available as a soft-sampler take a look at vsampler thats low cost but is feature packed, or go and pick up the latest copy of computer music in smiths that has bundles of stuff on a DVD that comes with the mag.

Have fun

Gary
Old 29 November 2005, 09:11 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

Many thanks for all the advice, it's really appreciated. Thing is I just want something to get started on and I'll build from there. I don't want to start to get into Cubase or anything yet. I can remember when that was the cutting edge on an Atari ST or Commodore Amiga - LOL

The only thing about going old school with the hardware is that I've still got old school MIDI hardware knocking about, a TR707, a DX11, even an old MSQ standalone sequencer. So I was only half joking when I said about getting hold of an S1000...
Old 29 November 2005, 10:39 PM
Freak
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nick Read

The only thing about going old school with the hardware is that I've still got old school MIDI hardware knocking about, a TR707, a DX11, even an old MSQ standalone sequencer. So I was only half joking when I said about getting hold of an S1000...

I have a full hardware studio, atari, pc, big desk, effects racks, couple of akais and a load of analogue synths etc, and I also have a laptop running all the virtual stuff- ableton and logic/cubase etc, and i much prefer the hardware- although the software is not without its charms and bonuses.

I have three old akais (s950, s3000xl and s1000HD)- and i love them to bits.
Old 29 November 2005, 11:23 PM
wez_sti
Scooby Regular

hi mate,

i use Sound Forge for what your doing, actually using it now to get my recording of friday night off my mini disk!

does all you need and alot more besides...

Wez
Old 30 November 2005, 11:06 AM
Daz34
Scooby Regular

The latest soft synths are amazing.
Always dreamed of owning a Minimoog or a prophet 5 or a PPG wave 2
Old 30 November 2005, 11:51 AM
GaryK
Scooby Regular

forgot to say Steinberg recycle is great for chopping up loops and re-arranging them.

Yes soft-synths are damn impressive, arturia do some great stuff and so do spectrasonics.
Old 01 December 2005, 06:36 PM
Nick Read
Scooby Regular

OK so I'll check out FLStudio, Sound Forge and Recycle. And look on ebay for an S950!

All this talk of old hardware is making me nostalgic...I'll still never forget when Pet Shop Boys went on TOTP with an Emulator (IIRC), the one with a little monochrome monitor built in, and Chris Lowe just stood there playing one-fingered and occasionally prodding a button. Pop music doesn't get any cooler than that LOL

Last edited by Nick Read; 01 December 2005 at 06:40 PM.