Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

What is it with people eh??????

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2005, 05:59 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation What is it with people eh??????

I've just come home and decided to have a look at the George Best has died thread.Not even half way down page one and there's the "serves him right brigade" spouting their garbage again.Cant you give it a rest on the day he died,just for once.

Old 25 November 2005, 06:01 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Agreed. He paid the ultimate penalty for his stupidity - let the guy R.I.P for goodness sake!
Old 25 November 2005, 06:16 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I've not read the thread, I've not got any feelings one way or another for the guy and don't support any of the teams he's played for. Its a shame for his friends and family he has died, etc. But, he probably could have had a longer healthier life if he had learned from his mistakes when he had his transplant. It's a fact that he continued to lead an abusive lifestyle and I think that's what people are a little uppity about.
Old 25 November 2005, 06:21 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

But Saxo boy,on a day like today,if thats your opinion, isnt it more respectful just to keep it to yourself.
Old 25 November 2005, 06:23 PM
Mrs Baz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Saxo Boy
It's a fact that he continued to lead an abusive lifestyle and I think that's what people are a little uppity about.
We all know what he did was wrong but there is no need to speak ill of the dead on a thread that has been started for people to pay tribute to the man!!!
Old 25 November 2005, 06:27 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I could understand people speaking ill of him if he had done what the likes of Harold Shipman did, but he done no harm to anyone apart from his family and ultimately himself; so why the commotion?

Let his family deal with it; it's not like any of you care for Calum Best, is it? So that's not an excuse either!
Old 25 November 2005, 06:30 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i suppose because he had a second chance and blew it ! somebody else could have had the liver he had and might live to a ripe old age !! imho
Old 25 November 2005, 06:36 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

HE got a second chance, HE blew it, HE paid the consequence. Not you, I or anyone else. Is death not a big enough penalty for his errors?
Old 25 November 2005, 07:09 PM
paulr
Scooby Regular

Some great George Best quotes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4467360.stm

In 1969 I gave up women and alcohol - it was the worst 20 minutes of my life.
George Best - ever the joker.
Old 25 November 2005, 07:15 PM
Jaydee5
Scooby Regular

At the risk of being boring I'll say it again.

HE WAS ILL. ALCOHOLICS ARE ILL.

I hope all the self righteous folk can pass the same comments about cancer sufferers, or victims of heart attacks and strokes.
Old 25 November 2005, 07:17 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by eClaire
HE got a second chance, HE blew it, HE paid the consequence. Not you, I or anyone else. Is death not a big enough penalty for his errors?
that's your opinion . and that was mine !
Old 25 November 2005, 07:22 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

I know that

But you still haven't answered my question
Old 25 November 2005, 07:46 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

My comments were due to the fact that people are making him out to be some kind of hero. Yes, in his day he was a rather good footballer, but after that, what did he do? not a lot from what I know, then again, maybe I have missed the millions he dontated to charity, or the famine relief he distributed, then again, I don't think I missed any of that. After footy he continued the playboy lifestyle and paid the price for it.

He's dead, he's not going to care what is said about him on the day he died. Oh, respect, ah, I see, right, so on the day someone dies, we're all meant to lay off and be all nice, ignore anything bad or foolish they have done, say what a nice chap they are, even if they were a complete plonker who pished their life away without any real care?
I've always had a problem with people being oh-so-nice about someone when they die, then the next day, spouting off about how horrible they were. Sod that, if you didn't like who they were when they were alive, why should it be different on the day of their death? Maybe I'm cold hearted and cynical?
Old 25 November 2005, 07:49 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

ScoobyNet is full of gob****e know-it-all f*ckwits isnt it? This is their only outlet because they wouldnt dare act like this in their real lives (where they have one), talking to their real friends (you know what Im going to say here dont you?).
Old 25 November 2005, 07:52 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I have to say Markus, he wasnt a rather good footballer; he was probably the greatest footballer who ever lived. He pissed his talent up the wall its true; helped along by his playing career being wrong-footed by poor management, but anyone who could ever be called truly great will tell you the same thing: ask Pele.....

Simon
Old 25 November 2005, 08:01 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Yes he got a second chance but HE didnt blow it at all, get some facts first.
Old 25 November 2005, 08:27 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Dave, have you got the equivalent to the typist shíts?

You hardly say a great deal as a rule but the last few days you've done nothing but post, in a rather frustrated manner too.

Online forums will always carry people from all walks of life and what's important to one isn't important to another.

Changing the subject and not aimed at you now.

What is quite clear on here is a few members who clearly try and come across as superior and appear to blame others for their very behaviour

You know what though, it's blóody entertaining to read.
Old 25 November 2005, 08:28 PM
Peanuts
Scooby Regular

This all (Scoobynet's slaters) saddens me, Bestie was the greatest player to have ever graced football.
Thats not only my opinion, but that of Pele and many others.
The man had so much love to give but was constantly being hounded by the gutter press so they could get their precious story.
Old 25 November 2005, 08:59 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

After all is said an done, all he did was play football, albeit it rather well. Not exactly earth shattering is it? It's not as if he tried to end apartheid or something similar, all he really did was kick a ball around.
Old 25 November 2005, 10:47 PM
eClaire
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
Yes he got a second chance but HE didnt blow it at all, get some facts first.
He did according to everyone else who is having a pop, I am trying to reason with those people. Me thinks you took that out of context; don't get arsey with me...

I have never said a bad word against him, and I am hardly going to start now he is dead. I am certainly no keyboard hero; I've got a tongue in my heid and I will use against my friends/family/the man on the street if need be.
Old 25 November 2005, 10:54 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Well said Claire, first decent thing to come out of west L for a while

Leave the guy & his family alone, you sad lot

RIP George
Old 25 November 2005, 11:18 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Markus
After all is said an done, all he did was play football, albeit it rather well. Not exactly earth shattering is it? It's not as if he tried to end apartheid or something similar, all he really did was kick a ball around.
Really, it's quite easy to pick off news items, especially obituaries, as being "overblown". What are you saying....the only newsworthy obituaries are for those who made an earth shattering contribution to the world? Nobody with a hint of "popular interest" isn't newsworthy?

He was a popular & well known 'person' in the UK and beyond. You can *personally* hold your own view on his status in the pecking order, but given football is the biggest UK spectator sport, and he was one of the best footballers (apparently), and add into this his elevated profile due to his lifestyle choices, then the media coverage is unsurprising.
Old 25 November 2005, 11:21 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by imlach
Really, it's quite easy to pick off news items, especially obituaries, as being "overblown". What are you saying....the only newsworthy obituaries are for those who made an earth shattering contribution to the world? Nobody with a hint of "popular interest" isn't newsworthy?

He was a popular & well known 'person' in the UK and beyond. You can *personally* hold your own view on his status in the pecking order, but given football is the biggest UK spectator sport, and he was one of the best footballers (apparently), and add into this his elevated profile due to his lifestyle choices, then the media coverage is unsurprising.
Again well said
Old 25 November 2005, 11:22 PM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Anyway, this has been going on for centuries. Shakespeare's best work is based on tragedy. The life of George Best is a tragedy. People love reading about a tragedy. It's human nature.

There...first link you've probably ever seen linking the life of George Best to Shakespeare
Old 25 November 2005, 11:25 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Old 26 November 2005, 09:29 AM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

Perhaps I should put this on a new thread...oh well..this'll do .......

One thing I found annoying about the Best media coverage is that it completely overshdowed Richard Burns, who was also very ill.

It really irritates me that we have 4 different general purpose terrestrial channels that ALL insist on blurting news at us at every couple of hours at the same times, interrupting films, and just repeating the same rubbish spouted during the previous bulletin.

Their excuse in the adverts is to "keep you up to date with the news from your areas and around world." So how come they got so single tracked with certain headlines, such as Best, that they completely blind sighted other equally important stories, such as Burn's sudden decline during this week?

BBC2's "Broken News" certainly sums up the farce of the British Television media. And at how most news programs are mere padding to waste time, providing nothing of any factual value. On digital, we have several 24hour news channels as it is, I just hope that when analogue is switched off, they'll realise that showing elogated news programs on the general purpose channels will no longer be required as if you want news, it'll be on one of the 24hour news channels

Last edited by ALi-B; 26 November 2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old 26 November 2005, 10:06 AM
STi-Frenchie
Scooby Regular

The only International football match I have ever been to was when my father took me to see Best playing at Windsor Park in Belfast. Even at a young age I could see his brilliance and I've never forgotten that day. To say that he could kick a ball "rather well" is a gross understatement. George Best provided entertainment and smiles to the faces of millions, did unsung work for the less fortunate than himself and is widely recognized to be an all round good guy. The only harm he did was to himself. You only get one shot at life and George grabbed it and lived it to the full.

The comments on SN in the last few days from people who show no respect to the man are digraceful.
Old 26 November 2005, 10:29 AM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jaydee5
At the risk of being boring I'll say it again.

HE WAS ILL. ALCOHOLICS ARE ILL.

I hope all the self righteous folk can pass the same comments about cancer sufferers, or victims of heart attacks and strokes.
I see, so theres no cure for Alcoholism is there? Maybe Stopping would be a sufficent cure. I can appreciate that any addiction is hard to stop, but thats the whole point isnt it.Unlike Cancer which will get 1 in 3 of us and theres not really a cure for Cancer as far as I know. Though of course Lung Cancer is normally self inflisted, so I would have no problem in Smokers being fairly far down the list of possible recievers of organ donations.

But hey, lets celebrate a wife beating drunk.

As the news said today. He never played on the World stage and wasnt better than Pele or Maradonna like some people would have you believe...

Also the rubbish printed by his doctors that he wasnt drinking and it was some kind of reaction to the drugs is sadly not true. People saw him drinking after the op.

Last edited by rr_ww; 26 November 2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 26 November 2005, 10:40 AM
DJFish
Scooby Regular

Plenty of other good people have died today but the press seem intent on ramming St George down our throats in yet another example of disproportionate national media led hysteria.
I've nothing against the chap, never met him, never wanted to, but I'm fed up with the overblown coverage and so it would seem, are a few others.

It's almost like "The snow's gone, what else can we babble about all day on News 24?"
Old 26 November 2005, 10:50 AM
burbs
Scooby Regular

George Best was the greatest footballer ever to have lived, when Pele says it you know the guy was special. He lived his life the way he wanted to and although i think you must be mad when you are killing yourself even after getting a second chance thats the path he chose. You cannot preach to someone who doesnt want to change their lifestyle.

I dont agree with it but at the end of the day its nothing to do with anyone other than George Best. RIP

Quick Reply: What is it with people eh??????