Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

George Best and the Media.........

Search this Thread

Old 25 November 2005, 03:48 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry George Best and the Media.........

*Climbs back on soap box*

Last night the media couldn't wait to report and almost revel in the prospect that there was a possibility that Mr Best might not survive the night.
With no regard for his friends and family, they repeatedly every half hour or so, on all channels just had to "remind" everyone that "............. ex Man U footballing hero George Best is not expected to make it through the night"

No apologies this morning when he was still alive was there oh no

Fcukin Media Vultures

*Gets off of soap box again*

Last edited by Gridlock Mikey; 25 November 2005 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Didn't realise the old boy had gone :(
Old 25 November 2005, 03:49 PM
fitzscoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gridlock Mikey

Last night the media couldn't wait to report and almost revel in the prospect that there was a possibility that Mr Best might not survive the night.
With no regard for his friends and family, they repeatedly every half hour or so, on all channels just had to "remind" everyone that "............. ex Man U footballing hero George Best is not expected to make it through the night"

Hope he lives for another year. Fcukin Media Vultures

He died at around 1pm today.
Old 25 November 2005, 03:58 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Think he died a couple of years ago when he hit the bottle again.
Old 25 November 2005, 04:35 PM
dexter
Scooby Regular

I have paid my respects to George on another thread.

Know what you mean about the Media though.

I will never forget the horrific pictures they took of all those people dying at Hillsbrough, instead of putting their bloody cameras down, and trying to save some of them.

Utterly disgraceful !
Old 25 November 2005, 04:42 PM
stilover
Scooby Regular

Fcukin Media Vultures

Agree with what you say about the Media, but I have no sypathy for George himself. All self inflicted. It's his family who I feel sorry for, for all the years of having to put up with his drinking. Wonder how many times they pleaded with him to stop, cos he was drinking himself into an early grave. Serves him right.
Oh and if you think I'm being a bit heartless, well I've lived with an Alcoholic, so I know how frustrating it can be trying to get through to them.
Old 25 November 2005, 04:45 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stilover
Agree with what you say about the Media, but I have no sypathy for George himself. All self inflicted. It's his family who I feel sorry for, for all the years of having to put up with his drinking. Wonder how many times they pleaded with him to stop, cos he was drinking himself into an early grave. Serves him right.
Oh and if you think I'm being a bit heartless, well I've lived with an Alcoholic, so I know how frustrating it can be trying to get through to them.
Spot on!
Also the fact that he was given a new liver, but then continued to treat it the same as before. Someone else deserved to have that transplant.
I have a friend who used to be an alcoholic. One day, he woke up and said, 'F*ck this, I'm going straight!' He lost his wife, kids, most of his friends before he realised that he was drinking his life away. He has been clean for 18months and has started meeting up with his kids again.
So, it can be done!

Last edited by Gear Head; 25 November 2005 at 04:51 PM.
Old 25 November 2005, 04:48 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Makes you mad how they berate him so badly when ever he's had anything happen in his life but you can bet your **** tommorow's will be full of 20 pages the greatest footballer to live, wonder how many have re-flatplanned to fit in 32 page pull out special.

Wonder how many will fill the front page with Christiano Ronaldo rape charge DROPPED. Maybe 3 lines beneath the "dear derdrie" panel.
Old 25 November 2005, 04:50 PM
GrollySTI
Scooby Regular

What I didn't get was during the Sky news report last night they put up a banner along the bottom that said George Best's organs would be donated.

Surely this can't be right?!
Old 25 November 2005, 04:52 PM
Gear Head
Scooby Regular

Everything but liver and kidney's i'd guess. The liver can be 70% damaged and still make a full recovery.
Old 25 November 2005, 05:09 PM
rx8er
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by chrispurvis100
Everything but liver and kidney's i'd guess. The liver can be 70% damaged and still make a full recovery.
I can't see how they could consider donating 'his' liver. It wasn't even his in the first place . What a waste
Old 25 November 2005, 05:12 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Fcukin Media Vultures

Whether he courted the prospect or was *totally* unaware......he was a media puppet .........in life as it is in death.......fantastic footballler too..
Old 25 November 2005, 05:15 PM
mark@wrx
Scooby Regular

I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks it was self inflicted......
Old 25 November 2005, 05:15 PM
Neverguess
BANNED

It made me laugh when the news was showing candles and flowers being laid outside Old Trafford.....yesterday.....now that's just rude!!
Old 25 November 2005, 05:20 PM
rx8er
Scooby Newbie

^ Na.....that's just the dumbness of a lot of football 'fans'.
Old 25 November 2005, 05:20 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Neverguess
It made me laugh when the news was showing candles and flowers being laid outside Old Trafford.....yesterday.....now that's just rude!!
That was for Keane leaving
Old 25 November 2005, 05:33 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by dexter
I have paid my respects to George on another thread.

Know what you mean about the Media though.

I will never forget the horrific pictures they took of all those people dying at Hillsbrough, instead of putting their bloody cameras down, and trying to save some of them.

Utterly disgraceful !

Hilsborough was tragic agreed, however looking at it objectivley how could they have saved them.. No one went to the game with bolt croppers, and spanners, which were what was needed to remove the fencing.

unfortunatly what you have here is the need to outdo the others, they dern,t fart incase they miss a scoop.

lets be honest, we all knew he was going to die, the question was when thats all. and i fail to see how blaming the press is valid, what about the "fans " who turned up for a 4 day vigil, what good could they do??

and if the press and public did nothing??
but then there would proabaly be a post say how disrespectful we are because a so called soccer hero was dying and the nation ignored him.

the press are a means to and end. when they are needed there are helpfull, and can boost certian items , then again they can be the death knell for others.

we are victims of our own sucess, we thrive on information at our fingertips, the press are just fullfilling that need.

Mart
Old 25 November 2005, 05:40 PM
DonnieDarko
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GrollySTI
What I didn't get was during the Sky news report last night they put up a banner along the bottom that said George Best's organs would be donated.

Surely this can't be right?!
one careful owner?

any co-incidence he dies the day after 24 hour drinking is announced? he'd have been dead years ago if it had come in earlier
Old 27 November 2005, 12:56 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

He did ask for his organs to be donated, and the medics say that his new liver is undamaged. It was the anti rejection drugs which killed him.

Les
Old 27 November 2005, 04:21 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Arrow

Originally Posted by Leslie
He did ask for his organs to be donated, and the medics say that his new liver is undamaged. It was the anti rejection drugs which killed him.

Les
The same drugs he used to swallow on an empty stomach and then spew up after drinking a bottle of booze no doubt, which he supposedly done quite a lot.

Something else quite interesting i read, he used to slow down when driving when in danger of losing the following media pack.
Old 27 November 2005, 04:34 PM
scooby.reed
Scooby Regular

Default George Best (this will make you laugh)

In his autobigraphy Gorge goes to play for the vancouver whitecaps, on return to England (very drunk) he was confronted by the press slagging him off for his drunkenness, George replied "when I arrived in Vancouver the billboard said 'drink Canada dry' so I thought I'd have a go

regardless of what we all think thats a good comeback to the papar twatzi
Old 27 November 2005, 05:30 PM
Lee247
SN Fairy Godmother

I agree with Gridlock, they did follow his last hours with macabre interest, must have been upsetting for his family.
Old 27 November 2005, 05:40 PM
ALi-B
Support Scoobynet!

Received 301 Likes on 240 Posts

<snip>

One thing I found annoying about the Best media coverage is that it completely overshdowed Richard Burns, who was also very ill.

It really irritates me that we have 4 different general purpose terrestrial channels that ALL insist on blurting news at us at every couple of hours at the same times, interrupting films, and just repeating the same rubbish spouted during the previous bulletin.

Their excuse in the adverts is to "keep you up to date with the news from your areas and around world." So how come they got so single tracked with certain headlines, such as Best, that they completely blind sighted other equally important stories, such as Burn's sudden decline during this week?

BBC2's "Broken News" certainly sums up the farce of the British Television media. And at how most news programs are mere padding to waste time, providing nothing of any factual value. On digital, we have several 24hour news channels as it is, I just hope that when analogue is switched off, they'll realise that showing elogated news programs on the general purpose channels will no longer be required as if you want news, it'll be on one of the 24hour news channels
Old 27 November 2005, 09:48 PM
CyprusScooby
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The paperazzi behaved like idiots once again!
SCUM the lot of them!

Last edited by CyprusScooby; 27 November 2005 at 09:54 PM.