Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Is this a scam?

Search this Thread

Old 23 November 2005, 07:13 PM
Nev
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is this a scam?

Ok may be slightly naive here, but can someone confirm if this is a scam or not....

I have two phone contracts, one with orange (for my wife) and one on Vodafone. My phone is Vodafone, after changing over from Orange a couple of months ago. I carried the number over to Vodafone. The wife's has always been Orange.

I got a call from someone (on my mobile) tonight (can't remember the co. name) asking about my orange contract. As this came through to a Vodafone number I asked what number they were talking about - of course they said my number - but of course it hadn't been an Orange no. for a few months.

When I told them this they asked for the wife's number so that thay could 'apply the discount'. I of course told them to f*ck off.

What do you think?
Old 23 November 2005, 09:32 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

I got a similar call recently. This company "on behalf of Orange" offered me free weekend calls. When they asked for my name and address I got nervous and when they couldn't even give my post code to me, I asked for a manager. He told me that they weren't actually Orange but a company who dealt with their contracts.

They just pick numbers at random and try and get lucky. VERY sneaky in my opinion!

Don't ever give anyone your personal details who cannot confirm at least a small part of your details back to you.
Old 23 November 2005, 09:44 PM
Budgie
Scooby Regular

happens all the time to me
any number that started 07973 first
then 07976, was an orange number
random calls using these prefixes
they are just trying to get you to upgrade
my orange number is now with 02

budgie
Old 23 November 2005, 10:17 PM
ben44
Scooby Regular

Yep, Its pretty common unfortunatly. I've had them ring me saying their from orange and do I want this and that.

I saw through it straight away. Orange are fooking useless and would never have though about calling me.