Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

car vadalism, theft, car jacking are they real concerns?

Search this Thread

Old 22 November 2005, 10:09 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default car vadalism, theft, car jacking are they real concerns?

Hi All

For the last year I have had a nice sensible Saab turbo. No one ever gives it a second glance and its a bit of wolf in sheeps clothing. I have got completely used to having a good quick car which I know I can park at the station without fear of the car being vandalised or stolen, let alone being car jacked on my way home at 2am.

I have just decided that I want something really nice again, another scoob, an m3 or something, however, I have to admit I am being put off by the the risks mentioned above. I have considered getting something nice but also getting a very cheap runaround aswell but I'm a bit reluctant to own two cars again. After all if you dont use the nice car that's one hell of an expensive garden ornament!

I know this is what we pay our insurance for but its just the principle of it. Plus, I'm sure I'm not the only one that actually gets a bit attached to that specific car.

Also, the car jacking fear is doubled as the wife occasionally (very occasionally) will drive the car on her own. Obviously she would just hand over the car put in a position like this but not sure if its fair for her to be at increased risk by my choice of car.

Also, with a nice car on the drive does it make the house more of a target for theives breaking in to get at the car keys?

Anyone else out there forced to choose their car based on the ever increasing numers of scum bags there seems to be out there?

Cheers

Brett
Old 22 November 2005, 10:23 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Suppose it depends on where you live? Ive not once considered having issues that you mentioned, doubt we'd have that problem round here too much and I'll be damned if Im gonna lead a boring life just to avoid the scum in this world.
Old 22 November 2005, 10:29 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

My scoob is parked out on the road every night (until the garage is finished anyway). Take all over the place and leave it. It get's used for work. Never had any hassle or trouble in it. I probably avoid the most iffy areas, but I'd do that if I was on foot as well.
Old 22 November 2005, 10:35 AM
MBK
Scooby Regular

The facts about crime are strange:

Fear of crime is inverse to actual likelihood of crime.

So the old fear crime but are actually least likely to victim of it. Young men often feel they are invincible yet are actually most likely to be involved in crime - mainly on the street. Similarly it is deprived areas that suffer higher crime, not the leafy suburbs.

So I would suggest the answer is the fear of this type of crime is more of an issue than the chance of it actually happening.

All this is straight from a political advisor, so it must be true!!
Old 22 November 2005, 11:03 AM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys. Im just being a wuss then!

I just read, seemingly, more and more of these horror stories about car jackings etc, some of which are from SN.

Off to get something nice...im thinking STi wagon or E36 M3 Evo 3.2.
Old 22 November 2005, 11:26 AM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

It does happen though, and is the one thing that stops me buying a Scoob. I just dont want the hassle of being burgled/attacked for the keys.

We live in a lovely area, but one of the Scoobynet members (Dales) who used to live a few miles from me had his house burgled for the keys to his Scoob and they took it without too much bother - I just dont want to take that risk.
Old 22 November 2005, 11:35 AM
lucylastic
Scooby Regular

Agree, it absolutely does happen. I live in probably the nicest area of Leeds, but early one evening last November (while I was in the bath ) some delightful people smashed a window, and stole my car keys. (I had an RX8 at the time, and over a 24 hour period, 3 were stolen in the same way from the Leeds area). Luckily at the time I lived in a gated complex, and they couldn't get the gates to open, so scarpered without the car. Cost me £1200 to get the locks changed on my car

Also, I work in Bradford, and I have to say it absolutely terrifies me driving back from work if I've stayed late, had all sorts of dodgy looking people slowing down to eye up the car. Could just be me being paranoid, but I have considered changing it for something less eye-catching at times. (But then I always tell myself I'm being ridiculous, and I'll drive what I want to, so stuff 'em )

Trending Topics

Old 22 November 2005, 11:36 AM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Dream Weaver
It does happen though, and is the one thing that stops me buying a Scoob. I just dont want the hassle of being burgled/attacked for the keys.

We live in a lovely area, but one of the Scoobynet members (Dales) who used to live a few miles from me had his house burgled for the keys to his Scoob and they took it without too much bother - I just dont want to take that risk.
But the same thing happens for Ford Orions, Seat Leons etc etc etc. Unless you plan to drive around in a 10 year old shed, the risk is there for pretty much any car.

It's down to wether you let youself be ruled by fear and never do or buy anything you may like for fear of losing it, or just take reasonable precations and if the worst does happen, remember it's insured and replaceable, you aren't.
Old 22 November 2005, 11:55 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by lucylastic
Agree, it absolutely does happen. I live in probably the nicest area of Leeds,
But its still Leeds?!?!? I live somewhere where you have to travel a good 30-40 minutes to get near a city, hence not worried about cars stolen to order etc... Anywhere nr a city I might worry about it but I dont so Im worry free
Old 22 November 2005, 12:01 PM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrettC
I have considered getting something nice but also getting a very cheap runaround aswell but I'm a bit reluctant to own two cars again. After all if you dont use the nice car that's one hell of an expensive garden ornament!
Hi Brett,

I have just done exactly that. I bought an old passat estate 1.8T to blat about in day to day, carry rubbish around, take fishing etc. and an M3 CSL for the weekend, track days, sunny days etc.!

The two main benefits to my mind are:

1) Its very liberating having a car that can be left any old where without fear of reprisals as I would never have felt happy leaving my last two daily-driven cars (M3 Evo and Impreza STi) anywhere like the pub carpark etc.

2) Because you aren't driving the 'nice' car every day it remains special. It is much easier to get bored of a very good car if you drive it every single day! Getting into it after driving the banger all week is like getting a new car every week!
Old 22 November 2005, 12:32 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by davegtt
But its still Leeds?!?!? I live somewhere where you have to travel a good 30-40 minutes to get near a city, hence not worried about cars stolen to order etc... Anywhere nr a city I might worry about it but I dont so Im worry free
Whats that got to do with it? We're 30 miles from Manchester on the edge of the Yorkshire Dales, and 40 miles from Leeds/Bradford but the stolen Scoob I mentioned earlier still ended up in Bradford - the gang had travelled over here especially cos there's a few quid in these parts.

OllyK - I understand your point, but I tend to mod my cars quite a bit so get attached to them. Point in case, my 205 has cost £5.5k to get it to its current stage, plus thousands of man hours - if some ****** nicked it, I wouldnt be able to find a replacement. Luckily its garaged, but dont think anything bigger would fit in the garage.
Old 22 November 2005, 12:38 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Sorry I thought you meant Dales was the Scoobynet member who lived a few miles from you

Fair enough, think its still close to the area of Leeds and Manchester though hence the problem. My nearest cities are Lincoln and Nottingham, admittedly Notts has its fair share of cr@p but most are more concerned about dodging bullets rather than stealing cars

Only time Ive heard of owt in my town was when someone came to the scoob garage to steal a WR1. not heard of anyone in the public having problems with car jacking etc.
Old 22 November 2005, 12:48 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Dales is the Scoobynet member that lives near me, we just both happen to live close to the Yorkshire Dales as well
Old 22 November 2005, 12:49 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Your just trying to confuse me now
Old 22 November 2005, 01:31 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I've had 2 impreza turbos.....

Classic 5Dr I was carjacked
03MY 5Dr was stolen via house breakin at night...........

HTH

(p.s I've still got my 03 - trackstar returned it next morning!)
Old 22 November 2005, 01:32 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

OllyK - I understand your point, but I tend to mod my cars quite a bit so get attached to them. Point in case, my 205 has cost £5.5k to get it to its current stage, plus thousands of man hours - if some ****** nicked it, I wouldnt be able to find a replacement. Luckily its garaged, but dont think anything bigger would fit in the garage.
Maybe it's just me, but I have never seen much point in having posessions that I can't use for their intended purpose. If it's that much of a show piece it's a wonder you go out in it at all. But that's just IMHO.
Old 22 November 2005, 01:55 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. Some more scarey stories.

Maybe I should consider keeping the saab as the runabout. I was just hoping to get something nice that i could use as my main car and for fun. This would have then freed up some more cash rather than two lots of insurance etc

In your guy's opinions what would be more prone to car jacking and theft. M3 or scoob?

AJM: You didn't happen to have an E36 M3 evo did you? You have PM.

cheers
brett
Old 22 November 2005, 02:30 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

i had 2 attempted car jackings while i was younger in different make cars, one of them ended up with me taking a house brick to the head

strangely enough, i have had none in my scooby, although i do look different these days in personal appearance
Old 22 November 2005, 02:32 PM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by BrettC
In your guy's opinions what would be more prone to car jacking and theft. M3 or scoob?

what ever looks easier to jack, when the jackers want to jack!!
Old 22 November 2005, 03:02 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Fair point.
Old 22 November 2005, 03:29 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Maybe it's just me, but I have never seen much point in having posessions that I can't use for their intended purpose. If it's that much of a show piece it's a wonder you go out in it at all. But that's just IMHO.
Haven't been out in it yet, its still not finished

It will be used to its full extent, still doesnt stop you worrying about parking it in the wrong places, or some ****** nicking it for fun.
Old 22 November 2005, 04:21 PM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

Cant let them rule your life though mate, or else whats the point of saving up and working hard?

About 17 years ago and brand new RS Turbo and a Renault 5 GT Turbo was stolen from the road where I used to live, which is very very rural, and although car security generally is much better now, cars have been "going missing" for years, although I agree the breaking in to take keys phenomenon is not good.

Don't be paranoid, buy either, enjoy!
Old 22 November 2005, 05:39 PM
scoob_babe
Scooby Regular

Location: Nobody knows how to tie the simple knots that I know

The one thing that really put me off our Honda Integra Type-R was having a load of people peering in through the windows to have a look when I wanted to just get in it. It's not pleasant walking up to a few men, in the dark and on your own to open up and get in the car!!
Old 22 November 2005, 06:23 PM
fatscoobyfella
Scooby Regular

I remember when 3 asian lads tried to "jack" my scooby off me in Sparkhill,Birmingham about 18 months ago.
A few broken teeth and a chunk of bitten cheek later,i happily drove off,safe in the knowledge that they might not try that again in a rush..
Old 22 November 2005, 07:16 PM
rr_ww
Scooby Regular

My advice.
Keep whatever decent car you have Dirty. People dont look at them as much.
Old 22 November 2005, 07:18 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

The problem of car jacking and general vandalism stops me buying a Scooby. one of my friends has had one for a few months and had no problems but another would like one but is also put off by the thought of having to worry about where to park and keeping an eye out when driving it for car jackers, I know you shouldn’t worry but if that is your nature then you do.

One of the things the People who advise the rich on personal security say is not to bring attention to yourself by wearing expensive items or driving expensive cars etc as this does increase your chance of being a victim of crime. Makes sense and when you read the press today where the man and wife were stabbed on their door steps in Chelsea (a nice area I work there) because his wife was probably followed home by the murders because they saw her wearing expensive jewellery it just highlights the problem of having a valuable possession in today’s society.
Old 22 November 2005, 07:31 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I know someone who had the Ford Galaxy stolen by burglars... I don't worry about it myself
Old 22 November 2005, 10:28 PM
BrettC
Scooby Regular

Thanks all. I guess a bit of modesty and common sense are in order.

I think car insurance companies should ask for alarm, immobiliser, steering lock, tracker and a fatscoobyfella.
Old 23 November 2005, 06:02 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

I think the car insurance companies should persuade the Police to do some thing about the situation, what sort of country is it that you are worried about being physically attacked for a car worth 8K or more probably gets the thief a couple of hundred pounds on the black market!
Old 23 November 2005, 06:19 PM
r32
Scooby Regular

Sadly t'is a worry. I was always wary when I had mine ........ I now have an A3 3.2 six speed quattro. Its no STI prodrive but it attracts no attention and is still pretty quick with 250 brake. I can now feel safe parking it....

Quick Reply: car vadalism, theft, car jacking are they real concerns?