shug
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another guitar thread - Schenker V Moore

recieved the new UFO DVD this week
http://www.play.com/play247.asp?pa=p...M&title=747704
It brought back memories of the time I saw them at the Glasgow Academy
http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/showthrea...t=vinnie+moore

My point is I was watching this new UFO DVD in glorious suround sound - and at first I was enjoying it just like the concert.
As the songs went bye -I compared Moore to Schenker. Vinnie is clearly a good guitarist. He was obviously enjoying himself and cummunicated with the audience far more than Schenker ever did.
And yet - as much as it brought back the memories - by the time he had basterdised Rock Bottom - I found myself preferring to watch a 80's 24/01/81 Schenker concert from Hamburg In stereo .
My point is - Vinnie is certainly a good guitarist - but yet I would prefer to watch an almost 25 year old crap video of a guy who obviously wasted his talent.
So what makes you a great musician - is it someone who knows all the scales and can play them at top notch speed - or is it someone who actually puts his thoughts and soul into his/ her playing ?

ps to give this some balance - i also saw UFO with Schenker a few years ago at the Barrowlands and he played like a zombie on Prozac !!!!
Beat this
SCHENKER
BARDEN
RAYMOND
GLENN
POWELL
Old 18 November 2005, 10:42 PM
_Meridian_
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Schenker > Moore, at least in UFO. Moore is OK, but his style is wrong for that band.

M
Old 18 November 2005, 10:53 PM
shug
Scooby Regular

Another dvd I recd this week was Killing Joke

the only song I have listened to so far is

Love Like Blood - I listened to it because they did not play it at Glasgow - the b@stards.

Geordie is also a great guitarist in a different style.
I saw Killing Joke recently at the Glasgow Garage - he may not play any solos - but how many guitarists could do what he does - at the concert - i was standing right in front of Geordie and I was so engrossed in what he was playing - I hardly noticed Jaz - which is surely telling you something
The way he fills out the sound is something else
Old 18 November 2005, 11:54 PM
Mr Spigot
Scooby Regular

Saw UFO with Schenker on the Walk on Water tour, the gig that later materialised as the Werewolves of London album. What was Moggy on that night?
Moore is a good guitarist, but like Tonka was post-Schenker, technically ok, but not the same style.
As for the classic MSG line up, I never got to see it, but was at Reading in 82 when Barden appeared from nowhere as an 11th hour replacement for his replacement, Graham Bonnet (Barden/Schenker/Glen/Mc Kenna/Nye line up that night)
Now, where did I put that old vinyl copy of their first album.....?
Old 19 November 2005, 12:09 AM
shug
Scooby Regular

yes I remember that gig - i am sure I have it on tape some where - I think I

remember Gary coming on stage and saying hello everyone surprise surprise
spellllimgggggggg

Last edited by shug; 19 November 2005 at 12:12 AM.
Old 19 November 2005, 11:34 AM
Mr Spigot
Scooby Regular

And Chris Glen saying later "you may have noticed Mr Bonnet is not with us tonight"
If my memory serves (and it probably doesn't) he had been p155ed on stage during the warm up dates, and dragged Schenker's roadie out at the Sheffield gig saying "this is the man who really plays guitar" (or words to that effect). Apparantly in the absence of a rhythm guitarist, said roadie had been doing some filling in on songs whilst standing off stage.
Old 19 November 2005, 11:53 AM
shug
Scooby Regular

Yes I remember that
I found this link - Steve Casey was the roadie
http://www.rbaraki.com/brief.htm
On August 27, 1982, right after the secret "warming-up gig" at an industrial art college in Sheffield in preparation for the upcoming Reading Festival, Graham Bonnet suddenly left the band. It is said that behind amplifiers on the stage at the secret gig, Steve Casey, Michael's guitar roadie played a guitar, Andy Nye played keyboards, and Hugh McKenna, a brother of Ted McKenna sang as a backing vocalist. It is said that this was because MSG had lost Paul Raymond, a multi-instrumental player (guitar, keyboards and backing vocals) and they needed his substitute. Graham opposed to this methodology and he quarreled with Michael fiercely before the show. Furthermore, Graham pulled this hidden guitarist from the backstage and declared that it was this guy who actually played all the solos and not Michael. Bonnet proceeded to insult Schenker and it ended with a fist fight between Graham and Michael on stage.

I seem to remember Bonnet at the time blaming his behaviour on the pills he was taking for epilepsy.
Old 19 November 2005, 12:04 PM
shug
Scooby Regular

Mr Bonnets side of the story
http://www.bonnetrocks.com/biography-MSG.htm

While on stage Graham started to introduce the band, and for a bit of 'so called' fun also started introducing the hidden keyboard player Andy Nye and Michael's guitar roadie Steve Casey. Steve plays rhythm guitar at gigs but always stays out of sight. Even when Paul Raymond was in the band Steve would play rhythm guitar but would stay hidden. Anyway, at Sheffield he was playing behind the amps. Graham again "I was just introducing the band, because they had a keyboard player with them as well, but the reason I did it was because Stevey is really shy and gets easily embarrassed so I thought 'I'll get him now, 'cos he can't run away this time !' All I did was ask him to say hello but it all got blown up from there and I did not intentionally go round there to expose him, as it were." Graham convinced co-manager Rob Cooksey that he was unable to carry on with the gig and says "I came off stage and I was basically totally drunk ! I blanked out, I didn't know what I was doing. Rob came down to the dressing room and told me to get back out there but I couldn't remember what I was doing. The whole room was spinning, it was, it was just like the end, you know."

So with one of the road crew Rob bundled Graham into a taxi and they went back to the hotel in Sheffield. Graham was assured that he would be picked up by the band on their return trip to London in time for their Reading preparations. But it wasn't to be.

The following morning Michael's girlfriend kept phoning Graham asking him if he still wanted to be in the band and do Reading. Graham kept telling her 'Of course I want to be in the band and do Reading'. According to Graham, Michael never phoned him, it was always his girlfriend. But in Kerrang during March 1983 Michael is quoted from November 1982 about the Sheffield gig saying "I asked him, I said 'What's happening ? Can you carry on in the band ?' He never gave me an answer."
Old 23 November 2005, 06:13 PM
Mr Spigot
Scooby Regular

Makes me wonder about Schenker's mental stability as well. Seem to recall Raymond left after the "Walk On Water" tour after Schenker threw a chair at him! Also, didn't Derek St Holmes walk out of the band during the "Built To Destroy" tour after another contretemps?
I went to the G3 tour a few years back, and the MSG of the day seemed a pale comparison with those of old. Barden came out and played a few songs with them, but the spark was lacking. I was quite surprised to see UFO back with Vinnie, as i always thought there was a "gentleman's agreement" in place that they couldn't use the name unless Schenker was in the band, hence the Mogg/Way album of a few years back. Obviously things have changed! Wonder what ol' "No Neck" is doing now?
I'm off to go listen to Purple's new album.....
Old 23 November 2005, 11:06 PM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

Schenker moved to our village (in Oxfordshire) at the end of the 70s/early 80s. Used to drink in the local pub and was a completely regular bloke.

Except that he was a total knobber, wanted to be sure *everyone* knew who he was and used to throw huge tantrums if anything upset him. But only on days with a Y in them.

SB
Old 23 November 2005, 11:26 PM
Mr Spigot
Scooby Regular

Not unlike John Bonham. He used to drink in one of my old locals, and if someone came in with a jacket on he didn't like, he would walk over, rip the lapels off, and give them the money to go buy a new one! He also had a thing for ripping people's V necked sweaters down the middle!
Just listened to "Rapture of the Deep" and the new Aerosmith one. 6/10 Purple, 9/10 Aerosmith-would have been 10, but where was "Toys"?