Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Lounge Suit?

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2005, 07:59 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lounge Suit?

I have been invited to a uber posh doo and on the invite it states the dress as a 'lounge suit' for the men.

Problem in to me a suit is a suit, and the one I have got is crap and does not fit anymore.

So my question is to the dapper members of scooby net, where do I get a decent 'lounge suit' from?

As for the shirt to go with it? white?

The tie?

I willing to pay aprox 250GBP as I dont think it will get much use.

All advice welcome!

Scott
Old 17 November 2005, 08:00 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I willing to pay aprox 250GBP as I dont think it will get much use.
Is the budget for rental or for purchase?
Old 17 November 2005, 08:06 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Lounge suit is just a normal suit, with that budget you'll easily pick one up that will be ok for the infrequent social event.

Because this is NSR you WILL get some c0kc telling you that they wouldn't blow their nose on a £250 hankie let alone wear a suit that wasn't made for them at Saville Row by swedish virgins though, beware!!!
Old 17 November 2005, 08:09 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I will say nowt then.....
Old 17 November 2005, 08:10 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
Because this is NSR you WILL get some c0kc telling you that they wouldn't blow their nose on a £250 hankie let alone wear a suit that wasn't made for them at Saville Row by swedish virgins though, beware!!!
No, Swedish virgins are not good at making fine suits, they spend most of the year wearing thick gloves and so haven't developed the fine and delicate finger skills to produce the exquisite stitching demanded by Saville Row customers. As England no longer has any virgins the best suits are now produced by specially imported Chinese Eunuchs.
Old 17 November 2005, 08:12 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

And for that sort of money you couldn't go wrong with M&S suits. I don't knoe where you are but the Oxford St store has a huge range, including formal wear.
Old 17 November 2005, 08:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

You might consider a Burtons (!) made-to-measure too. Lead-time might be an issue though. If you can stretch your budget a little a nice Cerruti suit will last you for years and theyre better than any Armani suit Ive had. Cerruti Basic are very nice too and a little easier on the pocket.
Old 17 November 2005, 08:16 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by KiwiGTI
No, Swedish virgins are not good at making fine suits, they spend most of the year wearing thick gloves and so haven't developed the fine and delicate finger skills to produce the exquisite stitching demanded by Saville Row customers. As England no longer has any virgins the best suits are now produced by specially imported Chinese Eunuchs.
I stand corrected

I'm waiting for the people to start piping up who can't decide whether to buy their suit while on holiday in either the virgin islands or barbados whilst they time the length it takes for the suit to be made on their collection of Rolex's before the drive back from the airport in their custom stretched GT3
Old 17 November 2005, 08:16 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8
I will say nowt then.....
you feeling ok?
Old 17 November 2005, 08:18 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

http://www.weddingguide.co.uk/grooms...egroomwear.asp

Depending on where you live, have a look around some mill shops. There are some cracking bargains to be had on very good quality suits.
Old 17 November 2005, 08:22 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Have a look here

The best thing is they usually have all sizes available (including leg length etc) so you don't need to wait. Some of them are made in the UK and Italy.
Old 17 November 2005, 08:25 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

I stand corrected

I'm waiting for the people to start piping up who can't decide whether to buy their suit while on holiday in either the virgin islands or barbados whilst they time the length it takes for the suit to be made on their collection of Rolex's before the drive back from the airport in their custom stretched GT3
Along that theme we recently had an Indian man from Bangkok come through our building (organised by some staff member) who measured up anyone interested for a suit and then went back Thailand to make them and send them over. (£150 for two suits, 5 shirts etc)
Old 17 November 2005, 08:27 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Its to buy, I could stretch to more but I see no reason too, it will only get worn a few times a year at the most.

I live in Hull E.Yorkshire so if anyone has any recomendations?

Scott
Old 17 November 2005, 08:30 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Along that theme we recently had an Indian man from Bangkok come through our building (organised by some staff member) who measured up anyone interested for a suit and then went back Thailand to make them and send them over. (£150 for two suits, 5 shirts etc)
Really? Brilliant idea, what were they like though in the end?
Old 17 November 2005, 08:31 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by scott8629
I live in Hull E.Yorkshire
Jeez, isn't £250 of your northern money worth double our southern stuff?
Old 17 November 2005, 08:33 PM
KiwiGTI
Scooby Regular

Really? Brilliant idea, what were they like though in the end?
Pretty good, not a bad money making idea too.
Old 17 November 2005, 08:36 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Pretty good, not a bad money making idea too.
But you're giving money to someone who then goes away and you trust him to come back with the suits? Good idea other than that...
Old 17 November 2005, 10:50 PM
sti-04!!
Scooby Senior

Burtons do the job perfect

Dont listen to any of the so called loadsa money crew on here, they are all mortgaged up to there eyeballs & thats just for the mooring
Old 18 November 2005, 11:35 AM
Robert Rosario
Scooby Regular

A lounge suit is not just any old suit either in my opinion, it is ideally a plain single breasted, two button front suit, with no patterns, checks or stripes.

As for where you get it from, next, m and s, etc all adequate, but you get what you pay for. Personally, I would give Austin Reed a look.

And dont forget cufflinks but no tie slides, tie chains, or any other extras as you will look like a *** if it is a uber posh do.
Old 18 November 2005, 11:39 AM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

£100 from Burtons, job done

£100 from River Island, job done

lol
Old 18 November 2005, 11:56 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

I would get an M and S autograph range suit. will do you ifne and is within budget.

Or go to A Ted Baker endurance shop. You can get a nice modern suit chosen by people who know what suits should look like for around about that price point. will be more expensive but will be better quality.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:04 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Adam M
I would get an M and S autograph range suit. will do you ifne and is within budget.
I'd agree with that and if you want to be a bit naughty why not pull a thread loose on the sleave after youve worn it then take it back for a refund

Chip
Old 18 November 2005, 12:14 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
You might consider a Burtons (!) made-to-measure too. Lead-time might be an issue though. If you can stretch your budget a little a nice Cerruti suit will last you for years and theyre better than any Armani suit Ive had. Cerruti Basic are very nice too and a little easier on the pocket.
Is the Cerruti range from Burtons. I get 10 % off there. I will go for a look this afternoon.

Scott
Old 18 November 2005, 12:18 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

There is a big difference between a lounge suit and a business suit.

As Robert Rosario said a lounge suit would be plain, preferably not Grey (too businessy) no stripy & checked suits etc.

Generally a nice quality plain suit. Make sure you dont look like youre going to work in the City and you'll be fine.
Old 18 November 2005, 12:27 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

All this pandering to fashion is a load of old cobblers. All you need is a normal smart looking suit with a decent shirt and tie, and normal socks and shoes!

As long as you feel comfortable in it that is the main point anyway. To hell with all the dedicated followers of fashion who want to dictate the very expensive and no great shakes type of suit which as you say will only be worn on very few occasions anyway.

Les
Old 18 November 2005, 12:29 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

heres one for you then.

how many of you have a black suit. and correct coat to accompany it??

i bet there are only one or two on here.

and yes i have one , used for professional reasons!!

Mart
Old 18 November 2005, 12:34 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by scott8629
Is the Cerruti range from Burtons. I get 10 % off there. I will go for a look this afternoon.

Scott

Scott; you are having a laugh arent you? Cerruti are quite expensive but theyll last for years. Cerruti Basic are cheaper but also excellent. Im afraid that neither will come in on your budget. £250 is a difficult amount, in as much as, you can buy a nsty cheap suit for £250, but if youre canny you can get a reasonable suit for that, or not a deal more. As someone else has suggested, look at Ted Baker 'Endurance' suits; theyre smart and they should last. You might also consider Debenhams (!); they have ranges of suits designed for them by Jasper Conran and Oswald Boteng and theyre pretty good and on-budget. I have an Oswald Boteng suit which cost a good four times the cost of an 'OB' (or whatever the 'Oswald Boteng at Debenhams' range is called) and whilsts its a beautiful suit it isnt four times better...
Old 18 November 2005, 12:37 PM
scoobyvirgin
Scooby Regular

Have you tried ebay?
Old 18 November 2005, 03:44 PM
scott8629
Scooby Regular

No im not having a laugh, I never wear suits so I do not know the prices of the styles.
My points of call in my mission to get a suit are:-

1)M&S
2)Burtons (10% off)
3)Debenhams

What are these 'suits you' places like? There is one at a designer outlet near my work.

Scott
Old 18 November 2005, 04:17 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

I see. Cerruti are a very good make; similar to Armani. In my experience 'suits you' sorts of places are ****e but you wont know until you look I suppose... TKMaxx can be good; it all depends when you go/what theyve got in. I bought a Versus (Versace) suit from one of the Manchester stores last year for £200! The normal selling price was £600 and odd and I know because Id bought an identical suit in all but colour a few months before.

If Im honest, I havent been into a Burton shop i during my adult life, but I was reading about their 'made to measure' (really a bespoke alteration service) suits in a magazine recently and they were reviewed quite well, I wouldnt entertain the normal stuff though. Debenhams will be a better bet without a doubt; you could also consider Moss Bros too; they have some reasonable suits in your price range and Ive seen some Cerruti cloth there too.....

Simon

Quick Reply: Lounge Suit?