Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Vodafone insurance - what a joke!!

Search this Thread

Old 17 November 2005, 11:56 AM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vodafone insurance - what a joke!!

My mobile's packed in - for someone reason it won't switch on.

Luckily I've had insurnace since 2001, and I pay £3.45 a month for it. So I phoned to make a claim today and I was staggered to hear that they're refusing to honour it! Because apparently the rate has now gone up to £6.50 a month or thereabouts, my original insurance policy is deemed null and void!. What a joke - I've been paying £3.45 a month for nothing, are they even allowed to withdraw cover like this? I then asked for a refund for every month dating back to when the insurnace became invalid and the nice lady said sorry, the insurance company (CoverMe) don't do refunds!! Unbelievable.

I intend to take this further - it's a complete p1ss take. I could take them to small claims court quite easily, but I'd rather complain to the Insurance Ombudsman to get their knuckles wrapped.

Any advice?
Old 17 November 2005, 12:00 PM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TopBanana

Luckily I've had insurnace since 2001, and I pay £3.45 a month for it. So I phoned to make a claim today and I was staggered to hear that they're refusing to honour it! Because apparently the rate has now gone up to £6.50 a month or thereabouts, my original insurance policy is deemed null and void!. What a joke - I've been paying £3.45 a month for nothing, are they even allowed to withdraw cover like this? I then asked for a refund for every month dating back to when the insurnace became invalid and the nice lady said sorry, the insurance company (CoverMe) don't do refunds!! Unbelievable.

I intend to take this further - it's a complete p1ss take. I could take them to small claims court quite easily, but I'd rather complain to the Insurance Ombudsman to get their knuckles wrapped.

Any advice?
don't let them off the hook! You need to speak to somebody higer up the chain by the sounds.
Old 17 November 2005, 02:44 PM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So why were they taking money off you if it wasnt for insurance? Surely thats just stealing!!

I refused insurance from Vodafone because it was £6.50, they said that my current insurer (@£4.50) wouldnt cover it becuase only they would insure phones on their contract.

Phone up my current insurer and they just changed the details over to my new phone. Is a better deal aswell on the terms and condidtions as well as its only £25 excess.

Vodafone sent me a letter telling me how much it would cost to replace my phone if I lost/broke/ someone stole it and how I should take up insurance with them ..yea right, get stuffed.
Old 17 November 2005, 02:53 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

So who are you insured with now Nezz?
Old 17 November 2005, 03:06 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Insuring a mobile phone is one concept I've never been able to fathom in 23 years of mobile ownership.

Do you people insure your jackets too?
Old 17 November 2005, 03:08 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Any advice?
basically you have a contractual agreement with xx to provide insurance for your phone. If they offer you the insurance, and you accept you/ they are bound by the T&c,s hovwever as with most there is allways a get out clause. Theres will be to terminate the agreement because there has been a breach, and guess who looses. I would go back to Voda, and remind them that taking payment for services not honoured is potentially fraud. You have made payment in good faith, they are now refusing to honour there agreement. Mention small claims, watchdog and ombudsman.

failing that learn from your mistake. cancel contract, bet new provider, and dont take out stupid phone insurance

Mart
Old 17 November 2005, 03:41 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Spoon
Insuring a mobile phone is one concept I've never been able to fathom in 23 years of mobile ownership.

'You people?' Who do you think you are you arrogant ****? 23 years ey? Wow, you must have been really important to have had one back then - well done.

I only insure something when I can't easily afford to replace it, or the insurance costs less than the average losses, or i have to by law. This falls into the middle category - I have lost, had stolen or damaged around five phones over the years - at £3.50 a month I was easily quids in. At £6.50 it's stretching it.
Old 17 November 2005, 03:50 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

'You people?' Who do you think you are you arrogant ****? 23 years ey? Wow, you must have been really important to have had one back then - well done.

I only insure something when I can't easily afford to replace it, or the insurance costs less than the average losses, or i have to by law. This falls into the middle category - I have lost, had stolen or damaged around five phones over the years - at £3.50 a month I was easily quids in. At £6.50 it's stretching it.
'You people' was a term simply referring to those that take out phone insurance, nothing arrogant about it. However you chose to see it like that so I can only assume you feel somewhat inferior for some reason, bless you.

I'll also choose to ignore the twát comment for fear of making you feel a whole lot more inferior.
Old 17 November 2005, 03:56 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

I can only assume you feel somewhat inferior for some reason, bless you.
Riiight, not arrogant at all then
Old 17 November 2005, 04:02 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Riiight, not arrogant at all then
Keep telling yourself you do have a place in society.
Old 17 November 2005, 04:08 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Keep telling yourself you do have a place in society.
What can I say, every day's a struggle...

I find it amusing is that when accused of being arrogant, your replies are incredibly arrogant!

"You people are such plebs" - Spoon, 1982
Old 17 November 2005, 04:28 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=TopBanana]What can I say, every day's a struggle...

I find it amusing is that when accused of being arrogant, your replies are incredibly arrogant!
You might even recognise irony if you try hard enough too.

That phone pictured was actually my 2nd mobile, well done, your research knows no bounds.

Your 'mobile protection' skills need a little tweaking though. 5 damaged or lost over the years is unnacceptable for a proper grown up.
Old 17 November 2005, 04:59 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

You might even recognise irony if you try hard enough too.
It isn't irony. Irony is when the unexpected is thrown into sharp contrast with the expected. Nothing suggested that you weren't really an arrogant ****, so your replies were in fact fully expected.

That phone pictured was actually my 2nd mobile, well done, your research knows no bounds.
Do you mean that my research skills know no bounds? Your written English skills appear to be bound quite severely.

Your 'mobile protection' skills need a little tweaking though. 5 damaged or lost over the years is unnacceptable for a proper grown up.
Yes I'm very sorry about that Spoon. Please advise on an acceptable quota that I might seek to work toward?
Old 17 November 2005, 05:02 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Hey it appears you were an undercover 'arrogant' after all.

Nice kettle.
Old 17 November 2005, 05:13 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Boo, what a cop-out! Come on, you can do better than that!
Old 17 November 2005, 06:33 PM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

i renewed my contract and vodafone put the insurance on without telling me , however that month i had my phone nicked and 2 days later a new V3 with my old number from vodafone , it took 2 calls and it was done , can't complain really
Old 18 November 2005, 06:30 AM
DJ73
Scooby Regular

how was your phone nicked scoobydooooo ??
Old 18 November 2005, 09:36 AM
Nezz10
Scooby Regular

Top Banana - I am insured with Citymain Insurance

0870 4587002
Old 18 November 2005, 10:02 AM
MJW
Scooby Senior

A lot of insurance companies are now refusing to cover mobiles due to rampant ****-taking by ******* who claim to have lost their phone, but actually just want a newer model. Companies that do provide cover now want a ramped-up premium, and to be honest I can't really blame them.
Old 18 November 2005, 10:03 AM
Prince Popeye
BANNED

'My mobile's packed in - for someone reason it won't switch on.'

my phone did the same. I rang vodaphone and they replaced it. I didn't even have insurance???
Old 18 November 2005, 10:30 AM
scoobydooooo
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJ73
how was your phone nicked scoobydooooo ??
party at the house , i've had partys for years and nothing has gone , and one night the phone just vanished , the thing was we know who took it but without proof it was a difficult situation !! what annoyed me more was the loss of the sim card , it took ages to get all the numbers on to my new one !!
Old 18 November 2005, 11:43 AM
rik1471
Scooby Regular

Why do I get the feeling the only reason you posted was to let everyone know you've owned a phone for 23 years?

Old 18 November 2005, 11:59 AM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by rik1471
Why do I get the feeling the only reason you posted was to let everyone know you've owned a phone for 23 years?
Maybe because you aren't that bright?

I posted because I don't get the phone insurance thing, simple. I never gave it a thought that the 23 years thing would stir obvious 'strange behaviour' which to me says more about the person picking up on it.

Strange indeed.
Old 18 November 2005, 05:44 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

I'd better get my flame suit on here, but I agree with Spoon, even cheap insurance at £3.50pm adds up to £42 per year, you can get a decent PAYG phone and change the SIM card for that, if you're regularly breaking more than one phone a year there's something wrong with you IMO
Old 18 November 2005, 06:02 PM
Gav1
Scooby Regular

A mobile phone 23 years ago......and what make would that have been?? just out of interest.

I didn't think they even existed in 1982!!

Gav.
Old 18 November 2005, 06:53 PM
TopBanana
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CrisPDuk
I'd better get my flame suit on here, but I agree with Spoon, even cheap insurance at £3.50pm adds up to £42 per year, you can get a decent PAYG phone and change the SIM card for that, if you're regularly breaking more than one phone a year there's something wrong with you IMO
Being a gadget freak, I normally have quite flashy phones and they're a lot more expensive that that to replace. At 7 quid or so p/m I agree it's not worth it, but at £3.50 I was doing OK out of it Whenever something went wrong with a phone, or it was stolen (out of my jacket* in a pub once), I got the replacement through the insurance and then immediately got a free upgrade. So I had one extra phone to sell-on.

Anyway, the point is that I had insurance but they refused to pay up!

* the jacket wasn't insured BTW
Old 18 November 2005, 07:56 PM
Spoon
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Gav1
A mobile phone 23 years ago......and what make would that have been?? just out of interest.

I didn't think they even existed in 1982!!

Gav.
Gav, on checking it was early 1984 so nigh on 22 years, the phone was similar in style to this which was known as a transportable. (Motorola). At the time I think it was about £1800 and the airtime was through Martin Dawes, who appears to still be around.

However in the late 70's we had a full carphone that was directed through an operator and you had a call sign rather than a number as such. It worked OK except calls were often received (relayed) too late.

In 1984 my first small 'mobile' was a Motorola 9800x. From memory the only phones were from Motorola and NEC back then. I think Delboy used the same phone.

CrisPDuk, don't forget the excess on the policies too on top of the premiums.

Last edited by Spoon; 18 November 2005 at 08:59 PM.
Old 18 November 2005, 08:44 PM
mart360
Scooby Regular

Gav, on checking it was early 1984 so nigh on 22 years, the phone was similar in style to this which was known as a transportable. (Motorola). At the time I think it was about £1800 and the airtime was through Martin Dawes, who appears to still be around.

However in the late 80's we had a full carphone that was directed through an operator and you had a call sign rather than a number as such. It worked OK except calls were often received (relayed) too late.

In 1984 my first small 'mobile' was a Motorola 9800x. From memory the only phones were from Motorola and NEC back then. I think Delboy used the same phone.

CrisPDuk, don't forget the excess on the policies too on top of the premiums.

my boss had a similar item back in the early 80,s it was fitted to his car, it cost £1.50 just to connect to a carrier then you placed your call and were charged on top of that

M