Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

New job, or not?!!

Search this Thread

Old 15 November 2005, 02:26 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New job, or not?!!

My manager's job is advertised this week. Being a local authority, there's no such thing as promotion, or any such staff-retention policies, all jobs have to be advertised.

Anyway, I know there's a good chance of getting it, as it's a very limited field. A neighbouring council had advertised 4 times for the same post, for £12k pa more with no luck.

So my head tells me to go for it. Good for the CV (a team of 7 and a £9 million pound budget). My heart tells me that I just don't need the extra hassle involved. It certainly isn't worth it for the money alone (about £2k I think). But in the long term...

One of the only reasons I can see for going for it is to avoid ending up working for someone I don't like (and doing a fair chunk of their work for them while they get up to speed!)

People always say there's nothing to loose by applying. B*ll*x I say - there's a considerable amount of time doing a good application, plus the stress, and disappointment if you don't get it.
I do have a 100% success rate with interviews, but I still detest them.

Don't know what to do!
Have you moved job for more money / to look good on your CV - did you regret it?
Old 15 November 2005, 02:30 PM
Callyt
Scooby Regular

it depends if you want the hassle or not. and need the extra money.

AT my work, a supervisor role was going that my friend went for, she had to have 2 interviews and not to mention filled out a HUGE application form, and had to give a presentation and all for 50p an hour more. She got the job a month ago, and now manages 20 ppl and has to do 11 hour days just to do her days work as shes always in meetings etc, i personally wouldnt do it unless it was somthing i loved. she said it was worth it tho. do u need the money? r u good under pressure? do u get stressed easily?? do u like challenges and responsibilities?
Old 15 November 2005, 02:40 PM
pwhittle
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Callyt
it depends if you want the hassle or not. and need the extra money.

AT my work, a supervisor role was going that my friend went for, she had to have 2 interviews and not to mention filled out a HUGE application form, and had to give a presentation and all for 50p an hour more. She got the job a month ago, and now manages 20 ppl and has to do 11 hour days just to do her days work as shes always in meetings etc, i personally wouldnt do it unless it was somthing i loved. she said it was worth it tho. do u need the money? r u good under pressure? do u get stressed easily?? do u like challenges and responsibilities?
I don't really NEED the money - I'd obviously like it, but I also like getting home for 5:30 and spending time with my daughter.
I'm fine under pressure, but do get stressed when there's a lot on. I'm happy enough to manage the team (doing that now, plus recruiting others, and doing my own job), it's the high level strategic meetings etc I can live without. And budget monitoring ZZZzzzzz
Old 15 November 2005, 02:50 PM
Callyt
Scooby Regular

lol@ZZZzzzZZZzz

my mate is 30 and single, lives alone,no kids, so long hours aren't a problem to her, but i like getting home early as im out nearly every night. where as she's in every night, so she doesnt mind it. but she does get stressed with all the responsibilities, i am so not good at being responsible its untrue! she said it wasnt worth the hassle for such little money but looks good on her CV which is true.
Old 15 November 2005, 03:02 PM
gingerboy
Scooby Regular

Personally I would go for it!!

I have and still am working up the management ladder and in the last 7 years have added 20k to my salary (which wasn't a bad one to start with) just through hard work and grabbing suitable opportunities when they have come along. I have completely changed industries now (used to be in automotive) and have never looked back.

You may find you have to put in some extra hours and may have days when you wonder why or feel isolated but believe you and me when you and your team delivers it's a good feeling!!

Lets face it whilst within the public sector a team of 7 and £9 mill may be a small to medium team / operation - how is that perceived in the private sector and what opportunities will be avilable once you have proved yourself???

Only time will tell but at the end of the day I would go for it, but every body is different and you have to do what is best for you.

Paul
Old 15 November 2005, 03:09 PM
Luan Pra bang
Scooby Regular

I currently hate my job but I would rather be miserable and well off than happy and poor.