Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

"Spy Cameras" everywhere......

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2005, 12:07 PM
warrenm2
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Spy Cameras" everywhere......

"..they would initially enforce variable speed limits, and then be used to tackle more serious crime."

"the cameras to be installed every 400 yards on motorways, as well as at supermarkets, petrol stations and in town centres"

WTF!!!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/newspap...9818_1,00.html
Old 14 November 2005, 12:53 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And the best bit? They're going to set it up to enforce variable limits, (the hardest to keep to, as some are set artificially low ), and use the fines to fund the rest of the system.

NOW tell me speeding fines aren't about revenue B*stards!

Alcazar
Old 14 November 2005, 12:55 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
NOW tell me speeding fines aren't about revenue
Ok, they are not about revenue
Old 14 November 2005, 12:59 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Milamber
Ok, they are not about revenue
There's always one, isn't there?

Alcazar
Old 14 November 2005, 01:00 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Maybe they would like to shove a tracker up my ar$e and have done with it!
Old 14 November 2005, 01:03 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

I think thats the plan for New Labia's next term "the Gordon Brown years". They'll do it while they've got you locked up for 90 days with no evidence.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:04 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by alcazar
There's always one, isn't there?

Alcazar
There's usually a queue on scoobynet......

"Comedy" aside I agree 100% with you on this one.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:09 PM
AlfasudQV
Scooby Regular

Its not all about revenue, there is the 'Orwellian' aspect. Should imagine that a DNA swab will be required in about five years before you can even buy enough petrol to travel 50 miles !! Funny, at the height of eastern bloc communism we congratulated ourselves on our western freedom to move around without being watched or having to carry travel documents. Still think that you are free ???
Old 14 November 2005, 01:11 PM
AlfasudQV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SJ_Skyline
Got a mobile ? heard of GCHQ ? Watch Spooks ?
Old 14 November 2005, 01:15 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

I sorta agree with you, but I don't think the problem is as simple as people like to make out.

For example, I drive up and down the M4 everyday, and at the moment, there is a 50mph limit through roadworks, reducing the motorway to two lanes. Unfortunately, if you travel at 50mph, you are the slowest thing on the road by quite some margin. There were massive warning signs saying "men in road" etc, (there was someone stood in the middle, uncovering a road sign than spanned the barrier), but despite this, people were still ignoring the limits by a large amount. They had to be doing 70-80 at least given the speed they came past.

In these (and similar) situations, there are so many people putting other peoples lives at risk that only some sort of automated system could hope to cope with the level of antisocial and downright dangerous driving going on.

I think the major problem is not so much the methods being used to catch people, but rather that there are so many exceedingly bad and discourtious drivers out there. If people drove to a decent standard in this country, there would be no need for the cameras etc...
Old 14 November 2005, 01:20 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Iain Young
I sorta agree with you, but I don't think the problem is as simple as people like to make out.

For example, I drive up and down the M4 everyday, and at the moment, there is a 50mph limit through roadworks, reducing the motorway to two lanes. Unfortunately, if you travel at 50mph, you are the slowest thing on the road by quite some margin.
Speeding through roadworks is just asking for trouble, I believe that in Canada its an imprisonable offence. The thing that really gets on my nerves is the whole double-jeapordy thing. If I get caught I get a criminal penalty (points and a fine) but I also get shafted by the insurers for the next 5 years

Just give me an on the spot fine, tell me off and I'll be on my way thank you very much, don't hit me twice.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:27 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

The 'great' British public love this sort of thing though as we see over and again (even on here). Watch as the authorities prepare **** them up the ar$e one more time.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:34 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

They are almost certainly going to do that as well. As others have noted these cameras are not to monitor WHO is on the motorway, otherwise they would just be positioned at slip roads, they are going to be used to monitor HOW you use the motorway.

There has been some talk that, for example, motorists will be limited to certain lanes on the motorway depending on how much they are willing to pay to make their trip. I'd imagine party members would also be allowed in the "fast" lane should such a situation arise. Of course the speed revenue system is also another example of how the cameras will be used to monitor how you use the motorway.

However, with a tracker in your car and an RFID tag in your number plate which is read by road side readers (some of which have already been installed for a pilot scheme) in truth they should know nearly everything about your movements, though these systems may not be able to enforce limited lane access on the citizens. With this in mind my suspicion is that the cameras are there to calibrate and enforce the use of your RFID tag and your in car satellite spy chip. When such things are mentioned on here, for example, lots of people are quick to think up practical solutions to constant tracking of their movements and the administration are aware of this so they need several means of cross checking your movements. What is even more interesting is that, because of the RFID tag, they don't actually need a camera to see your number plate pass and so it is possible that the camera will actually be used to photograph the driver rather than the number plate or the car.

Idris Francis is currently taking his case through the ECHR and he is arguing that the NIP infringes your right not to incriminate yourself and your right to some degree of silence. If he wins then all the automatic speed camera revenue goes out the window unless they can get a system of identifying the driver. Having cameras every 400 yards that photograph you, allied to dual tracking systems using both RFID and GPS, would seem like an ideal solution and the administration have been working hard for some time to produce a reliable system of automatically identifying huge numbers of people from such photos.

Of course if you haven't done anything wrong you have nothing to fear! Does anyone still believe that?
Old 14 November 2005, 01:43 PM
AlfasudQV
Scooby Regular

Some pretty accurate and useful stuff there hedgehog. Would say that our wonderful and free western Capitalist state has re-written the book on paranoia and totalitarianism.
How the f*** did this come about, some pretty clever Soma been used on us over the years.
Old 14 November 2005, 01:57 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

That's what happens when there is no credible opposition party to that which is currently in power. It basically gives them a free reign to do what they want, (although they are beginning to struggle to do even that now). Hopefully at the next election the conservatives will have sorted themselves out to such a degree that they become a viable alternative in the eyes of the general public...
Old 14 November 2005, 02:00 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

There is some good in this - When PSL (in his dotage) accidentally drives his shopmobility chariot the wrong way up the M1, the authorities can promptly dispatch the correct type of rescue vehicle.
Old 14 November 2005, 02:09 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

There is some good in this - When PSL (in his dotage) accidentally drives his shopmobility chariot the wrong way up the M1, the authorities can promptly dispatch the correct type of rescue vehicle.
You mean one of those oversized black estate like cars
Old 14 November 2005, 02:16 PM
AlfasudQV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Iain Young
That's what happens when there is no credible opposition party to that which is currently in power. It basically gives them a free reign to do what they want, (although they are beginning to struggle to do even that now). Hopefully at the next election the conservatives will have sorted themselves out to such a degree that they become a viable alternative in the eyes of the general public...
LOL, since when has any opposition party offered an alternative once they get in. They oppose it in opposition, then escalate it once in power. I would think about the whole system of parliament before pinning your hopes on an alternative group of thieves and liars .
Old 14 November 2005, 02:19 PM
Iain Young
Scooby Regular

Not pinning my hopes on anyone, (I personally think they are all as bad as each other), but labour are making such a bad job of it at the moment, we might as well let someone else have a go for a while
Old 14 November 2005, 02:19 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

This fascist crap is starting to frighten me.
Old 14 November 2005, 02:38 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
This fascist crap is starting to frighten me.
Calm, Big Brother, Big Blair, Big Brown, will look after you.
Old 14 November 2005, 02:41 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Vegescoob
Calm, Big Brother, Big Blair, Big Brown, will look after you.
From the cradle to the grave.....?
Old 14 November 2005, 02:49 PM
Vegescoob
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
I believe that to be the intention.
Every facet of your existence is to be mapped out in sets of "targets" across all Government departments.
Now if only they can get that "thought mapping system" going.
Old 14 November 2005, 02:55 PM
AlfasudQV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
Well, they are after all, banking (literally of course) on the Grave part for you five minutes after they retire you at age 80. Thats of course if the 'face recognition' software operated by a twelve year old does not f*** up and send the '****** squad' around !!!!!!!!
Old 14 November 2005, 03:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I expect Mr PKY will be telling us how grateful we should for this wonderful network!

Les
Old 14 November 2005, 04:15 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Im going to read 1984 again; if its still available that is..........
Old 14 November 2005, 04:18 PM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by GC8
Im going to read 1984 again; if its still available that is..........
http://www.online-literature.com/orwell/1984

Just been scanning through it this afternoon, some very very scary comparisons. I wonder how long before Nu Labour instigate the 2 minutes hate!
Old 14 November 2005, 04:36 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

When you consider how many extra civil servants the Labour Government have employed; you know its just a matter of time before they form the 'Ministry of Love'. That'll learn us; wont it?
Old 14 November 2005, 04:39 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by GC8
When you consider how many extra civil servants the Labour Government have employed; you know its just a matter of time before they form the 'Ministry of Love'. That'll learn us; wont it?
If NL would stop employing all the unemployed in the civil service and stopped paying benefits the chavs and scroungers we wouldn't "need to encourage immigrants in to this country to do the low paid work", we'd have a plentiful supply of people to do them.
Old 14 November 2005, 04:42 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Double gin please!

Quick Reply: "Spy Cameras" everywhere......