Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Idris Francis

Search this Thread

Old 04 November 2005, 11:59 AM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idris Francis

As many know Idris was the chap who was involved in the "unsigned" loophole regarding the NIP that is sent by automated speed enforcement systems. Idris has always been of the view that the NIP effectively demands a written confession and so is illegal. He has been taking a case in the ECHR in an attempt to have the NIP declared illegal and to restore the right to silence. Should he win speeding motorists would have to be identified through witness evidence and so this should put an end to the NIP, s172 and automated policing of our roads. In turn it is hoped that if Idris were to win in Europe then the UK may go back to sensible traffic policing run by experienced police officers who have been given suitable training.

The campaign has been given a boost by the ECHR who have accepted that the case is admissable and have send the following to Idris:

"The court considers, in the light of the parties' submissions, that the application raises serious issues of fact and law under the Convention, the determination of which requires an examination of the merits. The Court concludes therefore that the application is not manifestly ill-founded within the meaning of Article 35 para 3 of the Convention. No other ground for declaring it inadmissible have been established. For these reasons, the Court unanimously declares the applications admissible, without pre-judging the merits of the case."

An expert in ECHR law has already concluded, using the statements issued in relation to similar previous cases, that the ECHR have accepted that what Idris is saying is correct and that, in principal, they have judged in his favour. I have no idea what that is worth in the real world but as you can see this case is gathering momentum.

Idris has been given a date of 6th January as the final date to submit his costs (he would be entitled to a award based on his costs if he wins) and so is hopeful that the decision may be reached in the first few months of next year. Hopefully this will be good news for all motorists and we will start to see a return to sensible roads policing and falling fatalities on our roads.
Old 04 November 2005, 12:09 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear this, hope he is successful.

Les
Old 04 November 2005, 12:10 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Good!

I was 'done' for doing 43 in a 40. Camera 'shot' the back of the car so no picture of ther driver avaliable just the car from behind. The car was an estate with leag tints and two seta of headrest between the camera and drivers head, you really could not tell if anyone was at the wheel!

I went to court and was done for it as the car was in my name. We really could not remeber who was driving, this is a road we travel down around 4-6 times a day on average. We where both off of work that week and i could have been either of us driving.

So i was convicted bacasue the car was in my name!

That's british justice for ya and i hope this now changes things!
Old 04 November 2005, 12:26 PM
Dr Hu
Scooby Regular

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

I bet the government spooks will get to him first if it looks like its going his way.......

I'd be running scared......old billy boy will be calling in the spec ops boys.

Take him out at all costs
Old 04 November 2005, 01:02 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Angry

Originally Posted by Paul Habgood
We really could not remeber who was driving, this is a road we travel down around 4-6 times a day on average. We where both off of work that week and i could have been either of us driving.
Is this Mereway by any chance?

I think that the Court will not rule in favour of this man.... Not that I've got a conspiracy theorist mind or anything.

Think how much pressure they'd get from Governments of all EU states should he win. They'd be losing a great deal of revenue!

Trending Topics

Old 04 November 2005, 01:07 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes

I think that the Court will not rule in favour of this man.... Not that I've got a conspiracy theorist mind or anything.

Think how much pressure they'd get from Governments of all EU states should he win. They'd be losing a great deal of revenue!
Hi Clare and yes, Mereway
I was ripping down there 3mph over the limit.
Old 04 November 2005, 01:24 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Clarebabes

From my observations, the ECHR seems to go with whichever decison will most **** of a European government - this one could be a peach and collect several in 1 go!!

ETA: Oh, unless it involves the French of course.
Old 04 November 2005, 01:25 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Ah ha - we have your confession, it was you after all!!!
Old 04 November 2005, 01:31 PM
The Zohan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by OllyK
Ah ha - we have your confession, it was you after all!!!

Ah-ha - according to the courts i was anyway!
Old 04 November 2005, 03:29 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

And if he loses? is there a fund we can subscribe to if costs go against him?

Alcazar
Old 04 November 2005, 03:50 PM
Clarebabes
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hi Clare and yes, Mereway
Bugs me there as I bet if they did the 85th percentile, the more realistic speed limit would be 50mph. The college is away from the road, as are the pavements and there are subways to cross the road.
Old 04 November 2005, 04:04 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

I will check with Idris but I believe that he is financially secure if he loses. He has had considerable support from a range of individuals and organisations who are committed to the UK public being allowed access to private transport.

I believe that Liberty (No, not the department store) are dealing with the legal aspects of his case while Idris, in association with many pro-private transport supporters, are assisting with the production of factual material relating to the use, deployment etc. of automated-policing systems. That I am aware all the submissions have been made but Idris and Liberty are going to ask for a hearing at the ECHR rather than just a written judgement.

The aim of this is not to get people off with speeding but to get traffic police back on to the roads and to protect our right to silence and to stop the government sending out what appear to be almost random NIPs claiming that you've committed a crime and you'd better confess. So, hopefully if Idris wins it will have a beneficial effect on two fronts: it will blunt the efforts of the anti-motoring lobby who are trying to tax and enforce us on to the bus and it will improve road safety by returning properly trained traffic police who have the respect of motorists to the roads. In the long term this is also a win for government as access to private transport is economically and socially desirable and respect for the police is important from every angle.
Old 04 November 2005, 05:11 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Thanks Hedgehog. You talk a lot of sense.

Alcazar
Old 04 November 2005, 05:32 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Let's hope Idris doesn't meet with a sudden, unforseen and very nasty accident, between now and January 6th.
Old 04 November 2005, 05:34 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by unclebuck
Let's hope Idris doesn't meet with a sudden, unforseen and very nasty accident, between now and January 6th.
Yes, let's.

Alcazar
Old 05 November 2005, 10:32 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

Just hope he doesn't go walking in the woods!

Whatever the reasons behind this appeal, and many can be quoted, it is vital that people are not being convicted on the basis of faulty evidence or for the sake of filling the authorities' coffers at all costs.

Money seems to be very important and takes precedence over all else as far as this scaly buinch are concerned. They deserve a bloody nose and to be forced into fair methods of traffic management over this.

Les
Old 05 November 2005, 10:39 AM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Whatever the reasons behind this appeal, and many can be quoted, it is vital that people are not being convicted on the basis of faulty evidence or for the sake of filling the authorities' coffers at all costs.

Money seems to be very important and takes precedence over all else as far as this scaly buinch are concerned. They deserve a bloody nose and to be forced into fair methods of traffic management over this.

Les
Couldn't agree more. The ONLY things they seem intetrested in generate money for them.

Alcazar
Old 05 November 2005, 10:58 AM
Ken 275
Scooby Regular

43 in a 40! That's effing shocking. I doubt if most speedos are that accurate.

The unwritten rule used to be +10% or 10 mph above the limit before you were "done" by a white capped Cop.

Robots have a lot to answer for.

K.
Old 05 November 2005, 02:55 PM
GC8
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Leslie

Les
Dr Kelly wasnt walking in the woods; thats the problem. He didnt die there, hed lost far more blood than was in evidence at the 'scene'.....
Old 05 November 2005, 03:17 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

Maybe it evaporated? Happens all the time.
Old 06 November 2005, 11:17 AM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

It is true that the paramedics said exactly that about the blood.

Les