Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Career change

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2005, 09:50 AM
8BIT
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Career change

Not for me, I already gave up a career in IT for something more rewarding.
A friend of mine who works as a postie want to become 'something in IT' to this end he's taken up a course with this company

http://www.skillstrain.co.uk/
who I believe advertise on satellite TV channels. A salesman came to his house and sold him a course for 2 grand. For this I believe he gets A+and N+ certification training ie basic IT skills. They also offer to find decent IT jobs for those who pass their courses as part of the pitch.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this company or better yet any stories to tell? I have my own idea what I think of it but best kept to myself for now. Not my usual user name either, I don't want other people who know both of us and come on here to find out what he's decided to do for various reasons.
Old 02 November 2005, 10:54 AM
Sbradley
Scooby Regular

I encountered a company like this a while ago, when I had been between contracts for longer than I liked and thought perhaps I needed a (qualifications) boost to get back into work.

Happily I was mistaken, but the company I saw got me in for an interview before telling me that actually, no, they weren't going to employ me but I could buy a course from them. They would guarantee work on successful completion at a salary of "at least" £20k.

That's about £8K below what was then the going market rate for people with those skills, but there are so many companies doing it that the rate was going down as the market was getting flooded with, for example, MCSE qualified techies expecting £20k...

I walked away and a fortnight later landed a peach of a contract that I've only recently finished (it kept extending )

SB
Old 02 November 2005, 03:57 PM
Graz
Scooby Regular

Can't remeber the name but there's one that advertises on cable TV channels that says try our on-line test, if you pass we will consider you for training and get you a job.

Anyway just for fun I decided to have a go at the test. The web pages didn't even work properly in Firefox. If they can't even put together a proper web site I doubt their IT training is much cop.