Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone happier at this?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...845077,00.html
Old 27 October 2005, 02:28 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Most of the typical pub grub is at chains like Weatherspoons/Brewers Fayre/Tom Cobblers, these types of places centre their business around food, in my town we have ALOT of pubs but most are either pubs or the typical place to go eat and have a drink.... Nowt will change round here IMO.
Old 27 October 2005, 02:30 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

From what I understood about pubs these days they generally make their money from the food unless they are a freehouse. A guy who worked here part time and ran a pub with his wife certainly gave me that impression.

Edited to add I'm talking about normal village pubs not the big town centre places.
Old 27 October 2005, 02:36 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Frosty The Snowman
From what I understood about pubs these days they generally make their money from the food unless they are a freehouse. A guy who worked here part time and ran a pub with his wife certainly gave me that impression.

Edited to add I'm talking about normal village pubs not the big town centre places.
That's undoubtedly true. The mark-up on beer is very small relative to the 65% Gross Margin most places work to with food.

There's a new factor in the equation now though; smokers won't be welcome at eateries so the potential for earning from specifically not selling food has just escalated by a factor unknown.
Old 27 October 2005, 02:38 PM
Frosty The Snowman
Scooby Regular

Well it's seemed to work in other countries, but I have only the press to base this on and we all know how reliable and unbiased their reporting can be!!
Old 27 October 2005, 02:40 PM
davegtt
Scooby Senior

Well its good news for me, means I can go enjoy a meal in the pub whilst drinking my relatively cheap beer and go home smelling no worse than when I came out.... OR I can go to the pub where theyre not serving food, buy overpriced lager (to up their profits because theyre not making anything anymore) and go home smelling of ****

Sounds good to me
Old 27 October 2005, 02:43 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

The 20% of publicans who said they'd stop serving food in preference of smokers would have gone out of business anyway if their ignorance of their market is that bad. Darwin at his best.
Old 27 October 2005, 02:50 PM
Jap2Scrap
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Flatcapdriver
The 20% of publicans who said they'd stop serving food in preference of smokers would have gone out of business anyway if their ignorance of their market is that bad. Darwin at his best.
On the face of it I'd agree. Many pubs though (including my local) serve food as a token gesture. I've never seen more than one person eat in there in my lifetime! I believe they used to have to offer food in order to get a late license for special occasions but with the introduction of 24hr licensing imminent that hardly matters any more. My local is very much a Sky TV, Pool, Jukebox, Table footy type place and certainly not a restaurant. I hope it stays that way.

Oh, Carling/Carlsberg is £1.65 a pint too
Old 27 October 2005, 02:59 PM
Flatcapdriver
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Jap2Scrap
On the face of it I'd agree. Many pubs though (including my local) serve food as a token gesture. I've never seen more than one person eat in there in my lifetime! I believe they used to have to offer food in order to get a late license for special occasions but with the introduction of 24hr licensing imminent that hardly matters any more. My local is very much a Sky TV, Pool, Jukebox, Table footy type place and certainly not a restaurant. I hope it stays that way.

Oh, Carling/Carlsberg is £1.65 a pint too
We have the opposite problem round here in that there are some pubs that are serious eateries and not just your typical pub grub but my point about these short sighted publicans is still valid. What they fail to grasp is that they can still serve food and utilise their outside space by using Patio Heaters which will keep the smokers happy as well as the non-smokers and probably (with halfway decent marketing) improve both their wet and dry sales.
Old 27 October 2005, 03:06 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Surely this is a good compromise. Those who complain they can't go to a pub without smoke, now can and those that want to smoke can continue. But, of course, some people don't like compromise and want anything they don't like banned to oblivion, but god help anybody that tries to ban something they like doing
Old 29 October 2005, 01:21 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I'll stick to my home made sloe gin

Les