Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Hit a cyclist this morning

Search this Thread

Old 10 October 2005, 09:00 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hit a cyclist this morning

driving down a fairly busy road i am slowing down to turn right, i am very slightly over the middle white line and indicating to turn right, the traffic coming towards me is fairy busy with it being morning, i see my gap up ahead and slow down accordingly to suit, the traffic behind me is passing me on my left (this is why i was slightly over the line) the gap is there so i start to turn and sum fecken nutcase cyclist overtakes me on the outside

i hit his backwheel/frame/not quite sure what i hit TBH it puts him into a mad speed wobble where he just misses an oncoming car

he looks down at his bike and keeps on riding i see his back wheel is wobbling about a bit. i pull straight into the wash and check the car, front indicator is hanging out and there's a few scuffs on the bumper which will need paint.

god dam fecken idiots, i here by declare that ALL CYCLISTS SHOULD HAVE INSURANCE

i came into work a bit late today, i feel like being late tomorrow to see if he is there and throwing a fecken stick in his spokes
Old 10 October 2005, 09:07 AM
ajm
Scooby Regular

Hit a cyclist this morning
Thought I'd get in before the SN tree hugging cyclist nutters and say good shot!!!
Old 10 October 2005, 09:09 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Old 10 October 2005, 09:10 AM
PG
Scooby Regular

post up pics of the damage......

......then we can all tell you its fake and a set up
Old 10 October 2005, 09:14 AM
New_scooby_04

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:
Cyclists should be made to ride on the pavement; a car will usually do a lot more damage to a cyclist than a cyclist will do to a pedestrian.

I passed 3 this morning on a 2 mile journey home from a mate's
house in rush hour and NONE of them were even wearing helmets.

NS04
Old 10 October 2005, 09:15 AM
Reality
BANNED

If you see him again in the same situation - Open your door .

I like the tw@ts that insist on riding 2 abreast.

http://download.mobile9.com/media/70...droadhog07.mp4
Old 10 October 2005, 09:16 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

no cam here at work, bumper has allready been cut back and waxed and indicator has been put back in with a long self tapping screw

bumper will need paint tho, because it is quite low down i will probably be able to touch it in without anybody noticeing (its around the indicator 2 slat area)

bloke from pennine windows has just been in saying he saw it happen
Old 10 October 2005, 09:19 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

i would have given chase, cut in front of him and had a few choice words. cant let these fools get away with it !
Old 10 October 2005, 09:21 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by New_scooby_04

NS04
ohhh this ****** had the helmet on, although i would argue it was probably covering his face the stupid ****

there is a roundabout up ahead from my turn off, im thinking he will probably be working in the industrial estate.
we will meet again i hope, i should ride alongside the ****** on the minimoto and "road rash" him with a bat or a chain
Old 10 October 2005, 09:24 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by paul-s
i would have given chase, cut in front of him and had a few choice words. cant let these fools get away with it !
there has been times when i have had to wait 5 mins + to turn right from our entrance. there would have been no chance of "catching" him

i had already committed to the right turn, i could have stopped, but then i would have risked the chance that the numpty coming towards me would have spazzed out with the shock and drove into my front end

i was actually hopeing he would come straight back in so i could "clothes line" the numpty ****
Old 10 October 2005, 09:31 AM
StickyMicky
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ajm
Thought I'd get in before the SN tree hugging cyclist nutters and say good shot!!!
its been a while

how many bonus points is it for actually hitting a cyclist
Old 10 October 2005, 09:35 AM
imlach
Scooby Regular

Agreed. The cyclist was 100% in the wrong....silly chap.

However, no need to tar all cyclists with the same brush. Equally, there are many many nutcase drivers out there who have more than a thing or two to learn about roadcraft
Old 10 October 2005, 09:36 AM
ChefDude
Scooby Regular

No fecking way should they make cyclists use the pavement!

I'm sorry, but they are a menace to pedestrians too. when on the roads they don't stop at pedestrian crossings. If i'm on the crossing, i won't avoid them - i'm just waiting for one to get pissy so i can have a scrap! and if they're on the pavement they're trying to weave when there are far too many people.

I have a 5 and 7 year old. why the **** should they have to look out for some 30year old d!ck on a cycle who's too afraid to ride on the road - they've only just worked out not to walk out into roads ffs!

imho, they should have insurance like all other road users and take their chances - they can use a crash cage on 4 wheels, but oh no, they choose the tree hugger no noctious gases mode.

I took my motorcycle test ages back and it certainly opened my eyes to the danger exposure from cars/buses/lorries on the road. maybe cyclists should be made to do a proper test too!
Old 10 October 2005, 09:45 AM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by ChefDude
No fecking way should they make cyclists use the pavement!

I'm sorry, but they are a menace to pedestrians too.
Yes, potentially they are, but it's simple physics: you hit a 70kg person cyclist in a 1300KG car, its probably going to hurt them more than a 70KG person riding a bike hitting another 70KG person on foot! It's much easier to hear a cyclist when you're a pedestrian than when you're in a car and if you fall off a bike on the pavement, you're unlikely to get walked over by a pedestrian................

Unless it happens to be me!!

Fall off a bike on the road and the fall could be the least of your problems!

I agree that some form of training would be a good idea, but accidents will happen and I'd rather they happened in a safer environment than the road!

Regards,

NS04
Old 10 October 2005, 09:45 AM
gpssti4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about the tw*t on the bike. There's plenty of them around, be it in a car, on a bike, or on foot.

But face up to it, it's not because he rides a bike that he is a fu*king moron is it. It's just him. I don't ride anymore because of the state of the roads and people having road rage - cyclists are soft targets - in more ways that one.

Also, I had a friend killed by a car when we were racing (official bike race). We were racing along a dual carriage way, he was about a foot into the road and a girl of about 20 hit him at about 80mph (she was a beauty queen on the way home from a contest - she'd been drinking but was under the limit). He died at the scene. He was completely inoccent. I could go on............

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter if it's a cyclist or another car that hit you, you're gonna be pissed off.

I do agree with you - cyclists should have insurance, but where do we go from there - road tax for bikes, for what commuters or fo school kids etc. We have to face up to it that there are times when we just can't win.

Anyway - wait in a bush tomorrow and put a stick through his spokes. Or, of course it's an accident so you could go to the police and make a statement, I'm sure they'll take a real interest!
Old 10 October 2005, 09:57 AM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Cyclists should be made to ride on the pavement; a car will usually do a lot more damage to a cyclist than a cyclist will do to a pedestrian.
By that logic, cars should get out of the way of lorrys, buses, off roaders etc.

Anyway, you wanna see the cyclists round central london. traffic lights all say 'go' whatever the colour. car in the way? use the pavement whatever they do, they are not allowed to stop, it's against their rules. And don't get me started on the car drivers round central london that seem to follow the same 'rules' as the cyclists
Old 10 October 2005, 10:03 AM
Hanslow
Scooby Regular

Ditto what imlach said. Cyclist was in the wrong this time (and probably every other time for most of you ), but please don't tar us all with the same brush.
Old 10 October 2005, 11:44 AM
SJ_Skyline
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dracoro
By that logic, cars should get out of the way of lorrys, buses, off roaders etc.

Anyway, you wanna see the cyclists round central london. traffic lights all say 'go' whatever the colour. car in the way? use the pavement whatever they do, they are not allowed to stop, it's against their rules. And don't get me started on the car drivers round central london that seem to follow the same 'rules' as the cyclists
I got hit by a cyclist when I was crossing Hampstead Road (as it bisects Euston Road) a couple of weeks back. Fvcktard was cycling the wrong way down the road, through a red light and shot out from behind a bus into me.
Old 10 October 2005, 12:16 PM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Cyclist in the wrong - cue 20 posts about what ******** cyclists are.

Car driver in the wrong - cue 20 posts about how to get a good solicitor to get off the charge.

BTW, I certainly agree that the above was a **** for trying to overtake on the outside.
Old 10 October 2005, 12:20 PM
richiewong
Twatful

I think for extra safety you should have fitted that bolt in rollcage
Old 10 October 2005, 12:21 PM
King RA
BANNED

Originally Posted by StickyMicky
driving down a fairly busy road i am slowing down to turn right, i am very slightly over the middle white line and indicating to turn right, the traffic coming towards me is fairy busy with it being morning, i see my gap up ahead and slow down accordingly to suit, the traffic behind me is passing me on my left (this is why i was slightly over the line) the gap is there so i start to turn and sum fecken nutcase cyclist overtakes me on the outside

i hit his backwheel/frame/not quite sure what i hit TBH it puts him into a mad speed wobble where he just misses an oncoming car

he looks down at his bike and keeps on riding i see his back wheel is wobbling about a bit. i pull straight into the wash and check the car, front indicator is hanging out and there's a few scuffs on the bumper which will need paint.

god dam fecken idiots, i here by declare that ALL CYCLISTS SHOULD HAVE INSURANCE

i came into work a bit late today, i feel like being late tomorrow to see if he is there and throwing a fecken stick in his spokes
The cyclist is an idiot for riding past an indicating car on the right, but aren't you supposed to check your mirrors before making a manouver?

For every idiot cyclist there is 100 drivers.
Old 10 October 2005, 12:23 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Dracoro

That's a spurious extension of my argument

1) Cars lorries trucks etc... alll form a nice protective cage around the occupants, something that a cyclist doesn't have. That's to say nothing of the magnitude of the difference in weight between a car and most other larger cars/commercial vechicles vs a car and a bike and also the difference in speeds likely to be attained.

2) You can see hear larger vehicles when you're in a car (and if they can't at least see you -even in a small car- they need their licence revoked. A cyclist is a much more elusive and smaller object and is virtually silent.

3) Out of traffic jams, cyclists just can't keep up with the pace against powered vehicles...how often have you been stuck at 15mph behind one because there is not a safe opporuntiy to overtake? How often have you been at a junction with two or more lanes only to have a cyclist in the middle of you and the adjacent car, not sure what way he's going to turn? Yes, he shoud be using hand signals, but I'm guessing that its difficult to maintain ones balance/steering control whilst setting off when you've got your arm extended

I really don't see any reason to have cyclists on the road (most ER Docs refer to Motorcyclists as "Organ donors", so what are cyclists? Dead men riding? (Scary thought).

Some compulsory training, insurance, and the existing duty of care under civil law would be more than adequate to have them on the pavement.

In the meantime a good interim solution would be for them for everyone to watch where their bloomin going and don't ride/drive like a selfish prat!

Oh, and cyclists: Please, please wear a helmet. If you could see some of the brain injuries that I've seen caused by people having had an accident whilst riding without a Helmet, you'd never take the chance again, believe me!!

NS04
Old 10 October 2005, 12:24 PM
Jay m A
Scooby Regular

Location: Class record holder at Pembrey Llandow Goodwood MIRA Hethel Blyton Curborough Lydden and Snetterton

Cyclist on the pavement my ****

70kg this and that.

Try 12kg toddler in a buggy and a C*nt cycling on a pavement
Old 10 October 2005, 12:29 PM
robski
Scooby Regular

Funny but what immediately sprung to mind was the advert on telly where the car driver is turning right and some dumbass motorcyclist overtakes just as the car starts to move.

The advert makes it seem that the car was in the wrong....

Dont get me started on motorcyclists though, nearly bagged on this morning

Normal diriving condition he comes between inside and overtaking lane and pulls in front of me as the car in front brakes so he then brakes as well, so instead of a few car lengths between me and car in front I have a couple of feet between me and bike to reduce speed. So tempted to just jump on the gas and squash the git.

I cant think of anything worse personally than cyclists on the pavement, I mean its bad enough avoiding mobs of derranged old biddies with them deadly ankle breaking trollies they insist on towing around
Old 10 October 2005, 12:39 PM
New_scooby_04

Originally Posted by Jay m A
Cyclist on the pavement my ****

70kg this and that.

Try 12kg toddler in a buggy and a C*nt cycling on a pavement
I understand the concern: My sister has two todders BUT, if riding on the pavement the cyclist will meet a toddler in a buggy much less often than they will encounter a car/suv/bus/lorry on the road.

The point is that you'd be more likely to hear/see the cyclist on foot than if you were in the car.

RE: cars vs motorbikes etc.. It's always a two way street: both parties should behave responsibly and exercise due care. If one side is always regarded as the villian, it gives the other free licence to behave like a prat safe in the knowledge they won't be blamed.

NS04
Old 10 October 2005, 12:41 PM
hedgehog
Scooby Regular

You may need to be careful here as if he goes down the Lentil Eaters Arms tonight and all his lycra clad "activist" mates talk him into going to the police you might be in a bit of trouble if you haven't reported the accident. If the police get involved it is always going to be your fault. You may also want to think about reporting it to your insurance company, though that will probably knock your premium through the roof when you go to renew.

Like you say they should have to have numberplates and to be insured and you should get points for hitting one!
Old 10 October 2005, 12:44 PM
CrisPDuk
Scooby Regular

Cool

NS04

I'm sorry, but what a load of bollocks. If a cyclist is riding like a **** on the pavement, he can easily seriously injure, or even kill a kid in a collision If a cyclist is riding like a **** on a roadand has a collision, the only person getting maimed is him
Old 10 October 2005, 12:46 PM
dpb
Scooby Regular

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Exclamation

NS04
dont be so bloody stupid.!!...ooh and Wearing a helmet is up to the rider and should be.

This cyclist however clearly doesnt enjoy living. If i had been you Sticky i would he gone after him however..!
Old 10 October 2005, 12:47 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Only on scoobynet could someone suggest that cyclists should cycle on the pavement
Old 10 October 2005, 12:51 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

I detect a lot of two wheel envy on this thread.

Quick Reply: Hit a cyclist this morning