Notices
Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Company Bonus - how 'right' is this?

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 10:23 PM
djuk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Company Bonus - how 'right' is this?

A quick question which has puzzled me a bit...

My younger brother works for a company who operate a bonus scheme on a 6 monthly basis. Basically the bonus qualification is made up of a number of criteria i.e. 300 points total, 100 points are for sales made, 100 points for value of sales, and a further hundred for say some other criteria.

All well and good you say but there's one further factor which impacts the total bonus received. For each day in the given 6 month period an employee has a day off sick 25% of the bonus is removed. This obviously means that the worlds most reliable employee, never misses a day, always on time, performs well at work, etc, etc could for example be involved in a car accident on the way to work, have a couple of days off as a result of injuries and lose 50% of the month's bonus.

Now it's probably the case legally that because this is a 'bonus' and not guaranteed salary they don't have to pay it either way due to it's nature but it just strikes me as a little bit stiff. Fair enough if they have an attendance issue and need to implement a policy to improve that but it just seems very unfair to a majority of employees.

Can anybody in management/HR confirm the legal standing on the 'bonus' basis?

Thx

D
Old 12 September 2005, 10:25 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Honda here in Swindon have an attendance bonus paid monthly, any days off and you lose the bonus.
Old 12 September 2005, 10:30 PM
fast bloke
Scooby Regular

Its a bonus - they can use whatever criteria they want - they could give you a bonus for pissing the highest (although that would have all the wimmin screaming discrimination no doubt )

If the bonus is calculated on monthly attendance that seems reasonably fair. Your perfect employee would hit 11/12 bonuses. If it was an annual thing it would seem a bit harsh

hmmm - just read the 6 month bit. I suppose it would be a good motivator to avoid 'duvet days'
Old 12 September 2005, 11:12 PM
NotoriousREV
Scooby Regular

My company ignores the first 3 instances of sickness throughout the bonus period which is 12 months so is a little fairer than that, but as above they can set whatever criteria they want for a bonus.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:10 AM
MikeCardiff
Scooby Regular

They do it because the majority of employees now think its fine to take a day off work pretty much when they feel like it for whatever reason they want ( hangover, overslept, football on TV, cant be bothered ) - fine for the employees but when you're the boss and have to pay people to stay at home with their feet up for the day very annoying !
Old 13 September 2005, 09:48 AM
R 14NS R
Scooby Regular

as with most bonuses, they are at the line managers discresion wherever i have worked, as with most companies they are there as an incentive but in the end they are taking bottom line profit away from the company so try what ever they can to get out of it. imo.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:53 AM
PCatWork
Scooby Regular

seems fine to me. it's funny how when it's your own business, sick days are something that only happen to other people. when it isn't, they seem to come around on a more or less monthly basis. are self employed and owner managers really so much more healthy than the rest of the population?
Old 13 September 2005, 09:54 AM
King RA
BANNED

If there's one thing I've noticed throughout the years it's having a perfect attendence records means f**k all, as long as u don't take the **** you can get away with days here and there and stilll look just as good in your bosses eyes.