Non Scooby Related Anything Non-Scooby related

Sky Setup

Search this Thread

Old 12 September 2005, 05:01 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sky Setup

Landlord won't let me drill bolts into the brickwork for a sat dish. I have plenty of room in the garden and also the potential to use the drainpipe as an anchor.

Is there a clamp for connecting to a square pipe.

Second problem is that its at the back of the house and we have all wooden floors, I can't have cables across the floors or round the whole back of the house. I was thinking of potentially just taking the cable from the LNB and in through a window, using a flat cable connector. the connect this in the bedroom to the sky box. The getting one of those multi room beamer and remote setups that were around before sky offered free multi room. Does this kit exist, can you still get it and would it work ?

All help greatly appreciated, 6 weeks without TV and I'm dying.....

cheers
Cammy
Old 12 September 2005, 05:05 PM
OllyK
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by camk
Landlord won't let me drill bolts into the brickwork for a sat dish. I have plenty of room in the garden and also the potential to use the drainpipe as an anchor.

Is there a clamp for connecting to a square pipe.

Not sure if there is such a thing, but as long as you have clear line of sight you can put the dish anywhere really. The arm that goes from the dish to the wall plate is pretty much standard so have a look for ariel fixings etc (although I'm not sure a drain pipe would be secure enough).

Second problem is that its at the back of the house and we have all wooden floors, I can't have cables across the floors or round the whole back of the house. I was thinking of potentially just taking the cable from the LNB and in through a window, using a flat cable connector. the connect this in the bedroom to the sky box. The getting one of those multi room beamer and remote setups that were around before sky offered free multi room. Does this kit exist, can you still get it and would it work ?

All help greatly appreciated, 6 weeks without TV and I'm dying.....

cheers
Cammy
Depends on the window in part, plus the more connections you put in the cable more potential for signal degredation. You can still get multi room senders, that shouldn't be an issue.
Old 12 September 2005, 08:02 PM
P1Fanatic
Scooby Regular

Id speak with sky as anything other than a bog standard install and they wont do it. Might be better speaking to local iaerial/dish nstallation company.

Also bear in mind you will need a phone socket near the sky cable otherwise they wont install it. I told them Id hook it up to the phone line when they left but didnt bother (2nd dish/multiroom to get free sky +).

Simon.
Old 12 September 2005, 08:08 PM
camk
Scooby Regular

based abroad so no chance of sky being involved. <cough>
Old 12 September 2005, 08:15 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

I'd be cautious about clamping to drain pipe. Would doubt its strong enough.

When I rented I had a ground mount pole (about 3ft or so) bolted through some paving slabs. That was an old analogue dish so a fair bit bigger than a current minidish.

Now use the saem pole @ Le mans every year - If you're abroad then you may need something slightly bigger than a mini dish to get decent reception. Presumably you have a UK address your subscription will be registered to ?
Old 12 September 2005, 08:24 PM
tarmac terror
Scooby Regular

How about using your chimney to mount it?? There are bracket things bounded by steel cable that you can use. You should be able to get the cable into the house where the roof structure meets the walls.

Its a wee bit untidy but saves drilling holes through walls. do satellite dishes work in roof voids? maybe thats another option.....

TT
Old 12 September 2005, 08:36 PM
dsmith
Scooby Regular

do satellite dishes work in roof voids? maybe thats another option
No- Must be line of site. - Hence even heavy rain can kill a marginal signal.
Old 13 September 2005, 07:00 AM
supna
Scooby Regular

When I lived in Paris I took my sky equipment with me and used my parents house as a billing address. Anyway I digress. By law we were not allowed to mount anything to the wall so we bought a bag of concrete and a pot and pole. Stuck the pole in the pot filled up with concrete and then mounted the dish to the pole. About an hour of fiddling adjusting the dish we managed to pick up a perfect signal. If you have the patience it can be done. A bit crude I know but worked fo us.
Old 13 September 2005, 07:21 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by tarmac terror
do satellite dishes work in roof voids?

TT
serious question?

try putting in a cupboard.