Default Anyone been to Malia, Crete?

During the last two weeks.

If so, Please read here

BBC Report
Old 12 September 2005, 05:28 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ive been 2 years ago, great laugh somewhat iffy security on beach road, never saw any fights, and at the first hint of one these big dudes in black tshirts came steaming in and dragged the guy off in a car
Old 12 September 2005, 05:45 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

On the Malia forum set up for Steve Cook, there are lots of gruesome stories about the security guys out there.
Old 12 September 2005, 06:29 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

yea security are real big bad guys. The police hardly showed their faces about, the security looked after the place. They got one guy when we was there and held him in a head lock while the others slapped him about until a car pulled up and they threw him in a drove off. shocking loads of people watching and no one could do anything, it was real nasty
Old 13 September 2005, 09:11 AM
richardg
Scooby Regular

my friend's brother disappeared in columbia for 9 months (not through his own choice i might add!). he turned up at a red cross outpost and was flown home to his family for a happy ending.

hope steve arrives home soon. my friend and his family were helped through it all by positive thought and support from those around them
Old 13 September 2005, 09:26 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Terrible story - hopefully it all works out for the good.

with regards to Malia - it's a god damn HELL HOLE. Absolute pile of steaming grot, filth and putrid muck. the old town has a bit of appeal but the stench of ****e soon puts you off.

Louts, louts and more louts. Crap music in all the bars, either cheese or R&B - but the R&B consists of about 6 songs played over.....and over....and over. There are no real "clubs" to speak of either - merely bars that stay open a bit later.

I'm surprised that there have been no other cases of missing persons from that disgraceful place. All it is, is a road consisting of bars built by the same dude that built the Flavela's in Rio. Crappy little mopeds buzzing around everywhere, crazy golf, fry-ups, unnecessary "security" guards and a stench of human ****/sick.

If you want beer, bars and clubs - without all the above negatives - go to Ibiza, steering cleer of the West End (but even the West End is far better than Malia 'get a viral infection' Crete.

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by TheBigMan; 13 September 2005 at 09:29 AM.
Old 13 September 2005, 09:44 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

There's still no news yet. Loads of forums on the net are now running with this story, in the hope that someone was on holiday in Malia and maybe have seen something which might be a lead. More information can be found HERE
Old 13 September 2005, 11:14 AM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TheBigMan
Terrible story - hopefully it all works out for the good.

with regards to Malia - it's a god damn HELL HOLE. Absolute pile of steaming grot, filth and putrid muck. the old town has a bit of appeal but the stench of ****e soon puts you off.

Louts, louts and more louts. Crap music in all the bars, either cheese or R&B - but the R&B consists of about 6 songs played over.....and over....and over. There are no real "clubs" to speak of either - merely bars that stay open a bit later.

I'm surprised that there have been no other cases of missing persons from that disgraceful place. All it is, is a road consisting of bars built by the same dude that built the Flavela's in Rio. Crappy little mopeds buzzing around everywhere, crazy golf, fry-ups, unnecessary "security" guards and a stench of human ****/sick.

If you want beer, bars and clubs - without all the above negatives - go to Ibiza, steering cleer of the West End (but even the West End is far better than Malia 'get a viral infection' Crete.

Thanks for listening.
I went 2 years ago, dreadful place at night.

Vowed never to go back
Old 13 September 2005, 11:22 AM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by CooperS
I went 2 years ago, dreadful place at night.

Vowed never to go back
Dreadful place at night, during the day, at dusk, at dawn.

Only way to make it better would be to bomb the f$cking place.
Old 13 September 2005, 11:59 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I am posting about this as I vaguely know Steven, he drinks in the same pub that I go to before the games at Anfield.
Old 13 September 2005, 01:50 PM
TheBigMan
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Redkop
I am posting about this as I vaguely know Steven, he drinks in the same pub that I go to before the games at Anfield.
Yes, it's good.

Question, have the local authorities been informed?? I'm assuming yes but how can someone just go "missing" ???
Old 13 September 2005, 02:33 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Everyone has been informed, the Police, British Consulate, the media et al. Lots of people have gone over there to join in the search. Free flights have been laid on and there's a huge fund that has been raised by donations to help with the searches. It's very strange that he has just gone 'missing' and no-one can offer any info on his disappearance.
Old 14 September 2005, 12:53 AM
Turbohot
Scooby Regular

keeping my fingers crossed RK.Cant bear to think of the pain his family must be going thru
Old 14 September 2005, 07:41 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Thanks TH.
Old 15 September 2005, 03:29 PM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Lynne,

I've posted onto a couple of other forums where I couldn't already find it - have asked for it to be made sticky too.

HTH

Matt
Old 15 September 2005, 07:00 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Cheers Matt, there is still no news, everything is being co-ordinated via this site now and Ste's mum and bro are posting on it too.

Last edited by Paulo P; 15 September 2005 at 08:27 PM. Reason: try and fix the url
Old 15 September 2005, 08:01 PM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

link no worky
Old 15 September 2005, 08:28 PM
Paulo P
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Chip Sengravy
link no worky
It should do now
Old 17 September 2005, 04:11 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

have you read what this girl has posted?

Originally Posted by babygee
Hi I was in malia from 26/8/05-09/9/05 my accomadation was right next to babylon.I saw the posters of steven everywhere n couldnt stop thinking about him.I read a message on this site where someone was saying about greek type mafia gangs.If any1 has heard of this could u let me know as my boyfriend got into a fight with a greek beside a little cigarette kiosk next 2 chasers.He hadnt done anything wrong n then all other greeks appeared from various bars n a english PR girl advised me 2 get my man away or he would end up in serious trouble.She then said havent u seen the posters of the missing boy.Dont know exactly what she meant but made me feel very uneasy.My thoughts are with the family at this time.Walk on with hope in ur hearts.U WILL NEVER WALK ALONE.xxx
Originally Posted by babygee
Hi my b/f was fine.I actually copped the punch on the side of my head.We were getting served at the kiosk by an older guy n my b/f said good score 4 greece n the guy said yes now **** off.My b/f said no need 4 that n thats when a younger greek guy appeared n just went 4 him.There was lots of greek bouncers there in seconds.Thats when the PR girl grabbed me n said all that stuff.I dont like 2 say this but feel I should.When she said havent u seen they posters of that missing boy n I replied yes,she said hes dead n burried now take ur man away.I thought does she know something cos I would have just said hes out numbered by greeks take him home.I wouldnt have referred 2 a missing boy n say something shocking like that.Who knows what could have happened if I never took him away if something like this happened 2 steven he was himself.I know hes quiet n sensible but ive seen 4 myself it doesnt take much 2 start them off.We were just being friendly saying good game of football.The kiosk im sure is just outside the factory at the top of beach road B4 the road splits into 2. Thinking of u all.
that sounds a bit far fetched to me personally! some people out there like to hurt others for some reason, I would suggest taking what this person has said with a pinch of salt.

jamo
Old 17 September 2005, 04:25 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Yep I did read that, I thought it was not the sort of thing to post publically what the PR girl allegedly said. Some people are so tactless

It's amazing though the way everyone is pulling together to help find Steve. I am surprised that this hasn't hit the big national media yet.
Old 17 September 2005, 05:15 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

you could always ask eddscott nicely

Last edited by Jamo; 17 September 2005 at 05:17 PM.
Old 17 September 2005, 05:40 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Old 17 September 2005, 06:22 PM
Jamo
Cooking on Calor

iirc he works for a news desk or something? do a search for threads he started, theres something from last year iirc.

jamo
Old 17 September 2005, 06:24 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Oh

Cheers for that
Old 17 September 2005, 06:31 PM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

what about the people that were last with him ? if he's been missing this long and the stories about the security, etc being heavy handed are true (from what i saw when i was there it was) then it doesnt good

I was in Tenerife for 8 months last year and saw quite a few nasty fights, stories of morroccans knifing people, people going missing for drugs debts, etc. It doesnt take a lot to p*ss the wrong person off
Old 17 September 2005, 06:48 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

The somehow got split up, Steve's full movements are on the GreeceMonkey forum

The events:

Just before 8.30pm Steve and his friends set off from the Frixos hotel on an organised bar crawl.

At 20.30 they arrived at the Banana Bar
At 21.00pm they moved onto Babylon
At 21.40 they moved onto Exodus
At 22.20 they moved onto Midway
At 23.00 they went to Liquid
At 23.40 they went to Camelot

They were then scheduled to go onto Factory at 00.20 and at 1.00 go to Club UK where they would remain for the rest of the night.

Roughly around midnight Steve and his friend, Andy, whom were sharing a room, decided to head back to their hotel for a sleep.

They were also considering getting some food.

On the way back up the street they were approached by a PR who told them they could get a pint in his bar for just one euro. This was in the proximity of the Royal Oak (the lads had eaten at the Oak earlier in the day) but on the opposite side of the street.

Deciding to have one last pint Steve and Andy went in.

The bar was extremely busy and this is where the two lost contact with each other.

Not being able to locate Steve, Andy went back to either the Camelot or Factory to meet up with the group they had left earlier. This was at around 00.40.

Between 00.30 and 1.00 Steve was seen outside of Mike's Pub at the top of the street asking a PR girl called Rebecca for directions to the Frixos. Not being able to help him, Rebecca saw Steve then head left (in the opposite direction of the Frixos) on the main street towards Sisi.

He has not been seen since, would only have had around 30-40 euros left and only had one bank card on his person at the time. No cash has been taken out of his account since his disappearance. He had also left his mobile phone in his room.
Old 18 September 2005, 11:32 AM
paul-s
Scooby Regular

Once you get to the top of beach road the old town is opposite, over the main road. The main road left goes into the sticks and is very quiet generally, turn right and its a few miles of straight road to the next town.
It really doesnt look promising, out of beach road theres really nowhere to be unless you know locals.
Old 18 September 2005, 11:35 PM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

Still no news now after 18 days
Old 19 September 2005, 12:05 AM
Chip Sengravy
BANNED

I genuinley feel sorry for the family involved, it must be awful to lose somebody this way. They should reside themselves to the fact that he has gone to the happy hunting ground, and start to deal with it, as opposed to wandering round some greek island looking for somebody that is never to return .

3 -4 days..maybe....

18 days.....that is a long time to be missing in a foriegn place.
Old 19 September 2005, 11:27 AM
scoobypreza
Scooby Regular

not knowing must be agony for the family.

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Malia, Crete?